kickstarter gear swap XR200

Whozaa,

I tend to wonder that even though you can get the cases together, the H/D K/S idler gear may be contacting first gear C/S where it shouldn't...........not on the intended thrust surface.

Also is interesting the area you relieved on the case is quite a bit different and less then what was required on the cases we did.

Old School Al

I examined the K/S to C/S gear fit very closely and while I didn't see any rubbing or anything else unusual, it's impossible to see inside the cases after everything is assembled and running. So I agree that it's possible that the gears will wear against each other.

Here's a detail I forgot to include earlier. :blush:

There is a thrust washer that goes between the K/S and 1st gear. This is what keeps the two gears from rubbing their faces together. The later K/S gear has a slight relief on one side. As best as I could tell from the fiche and FSM, that relief is supposed to face towards the 1st gear. However, when I oriented the gear like that, it slightly rubbed 1st gear (next to it). The relief took away the clearance that the washer setup. So I flipped the K/S gear over so that the relief faced the case instead. In my pic you can see that there is a gap between the two gears of about 1mm, the thickness of the thrust washer.

Edited by Whozaa

On 12/29/2013 at 11:42 AM, Chuck. said:

Good stuff and lots of details so time for some picture, here are two part fich pics. 

Here is a 90 kick start spindle: The Ratchet Spring is #5

KK04E1301.gif

And a 90 Transmission: The kicker gears are #17 & #18, the bearing is #34, #3 is the CS 1st speed gear.

KK04E1201A.gif

Hi Chuck, what parts normally are worn causing the slippage problem with the old xr kickstart?

Number 2 & 3. #5 should also be replaced with the 86+ version, or stretch the old one to increase preload. I also suggest stretching the 86+ version.

Edited by Chuck.
  • Helpful 1

2 hours ago, Chuck. said:

I also suggest stretching the 86+ version.

Done that. It helps.

• Helpful 1

2 hours ago, Chuck. said:

Number 2 & 3, #5 should also be replaced with the 86+ version, or stretch the old one to increase preload. I also suggest stretching the 86+ version.

ok 2 is the one that is not available i guess a full swap out is in order!