Sign in to follow this  

Blown up?

What kind of "blown up"do you mean?

Head gasket blown, dropped a valve, holed a piston,scored the crank, thrown a rod,cold seized, hot seized, or just plain old mythbusters "too much ammonia phosphate" blown up?

• Like 2

What kind of "blown up"do you mean?

Head gasket blown, dropped a valve, holed a piston,scored the crank, thrown a rod,cold seized, hot seized, or just plain old mythbusters "too much ammonia phosphate" blown up?

Ive never heard of anyone saying their engine is blown up cause there crank is scored or seized.

can mean just about anything from a rod sticking out of the case to a clogged carb.

lol a clogged carb is not a blown up engine.  If your engine ceases, i wouldnt hesitate to replace both top and bottom ends.  You can certainly take it apart first and examine both to see if it needs done.  Chances are though that if you dont replace the bottom , that it will fail later causing possible damage to the top later. 

I should clarify that I was talking about people who are selling bikes as "blown up" on Craigslist / people who own bikes that don't run and they therefore must have blown up!

It means its a pos that doesn't run and they don't feel like fixing it.

• Like 1

How about an "implosion"?

Anyone imploded an engine?

Hahaha, I say that when it's a catastrophic fail on the bottom that takes the top with it. While technically incorrect like it..

• Like 1

I think people use "blown up" too often. If its rebuildable, I don't think "blown up is the right word. However, I went to go look at a 2001 660 raptor and the rod had broke and shot through the head then through the cylinder and the cases leaving a softball size hole. That is what I call "blown up"

I think people use "blown up" too often. If its rebuildable, I don't think "blown up is the right word. However, I went to go look at a 2001 660 raptor and the rod had broke and shot through the head then through the cylinder and the cases leaving a softball size hole. That is what I call "blown up"

One that I've heard for putting a rod through with cars is "I ventilated the block".