Antman's CRF 2fitty is in the house!

Picked it up today. Did the usual and drained the oil,(which was full by the way) tightened everything, cheked the air filter and tossed the screen (which is identical to the CRF450, so I don't need to by filters as I have plenty 'o spares. Adjusted the chain, added air to the tires added gas and started her up. Fired on the third kick, then died. Had to turn up the idle to keep it going. Man is this thing quiet! I ripped around the neighborhood for about ten minutes so all my neighbors could enjoy the new bike buzz as well. :D I'm stoked with the power. I can tell from my little jaunt that I'll have no problem with power and clearing all the jumps. I could feel the lightness bigtime as I have been riding a 450. I keep telling everyone I'm keeping the 450, and I am going to compare lap times between both bikes as soon as I get some track time which is at least 3 weeks away :D The only problem it had was one of the nutserts in the gas tank for the radiator shroud was cross threaded from the factory. I had that on my '02 450 before too. I was able to get it in straight and its fine now. This bike has a lot of power and third gear wheelies were no problem, jut twist your wrist. Its very like the 450, just down on power a little. I can't wait to take it to the track. Can you tell I'm excited? :)

Just like 10 yr. old on Christmas morning. :):D Nice to hear about the New bike you got Antman. :D Be careful on those 70 ft. jumps though.........it's not the 450 cc. :D :D

Enjoy it! :D

You're going to be surprised at the track! :D

But you will have to learn to shift again! :D

:)

Hi , Antman

I live in South-Africa and my 250 will be here by the 09 Jan can't wait , question what do you meen when you say "tossed the screen".

Thanks.

Hi , Antman

I live in South-Africa and my 250 will be here by the 09 Jan can't wait , question what do you meen when you say "tossed the screen".

He took out the backfire screen in the air filter cage.

Thanks.

I know it's only been a week, but I was wondering if you had a chance to take both of your bikes to the track for the comparo yet? I am already trying to figure out what I am going to do with my tax money this year. :)

I took both my bikes to the track ('03 CRF450 and '04 CRF250). Just sold the 450 last week since I never had much desire to ride it anymore...the 250 is just too much fun and much less tiring to ride.

How bad do you miss the power of the 450? Is the 250 that much easier to turn and jump? I don't have much experience with 125 class bikes, so your input is appreciated.

The track was closed this weekend for military ops. :) I am going to the mainland for a couple weeks on Friday. So to answer your question, other than ripping around the neighborhood about every other day, I won't know until the very end of this month. I am not a patient boy, so its pretty rough. I'll post results then. Just seat of the pants, I know it'll have plenty to clear all the jumps at my local track and I'm hoping it will allow me to turn better. It feels lighter lifting it on to the stand and wheelying it down the road. :D

How bad do you miss the power of the 450? Is the 250 that much easier to turn and jump? I don't have much experience with 125 class bikes, so your input is appreciated.

I don't miss the 450 power much except for big, long wheelies where it excels. I thought my 450 handled excellent, but the 250 turns faster and easier, esp. taking inside lines where the 450 wants to go wider. Whoops are easier too since unintended variations in the throttle don't upset the bike's balance as much.

The 450 was a great jumper, but the lower weight (and much lower perceived weight) on the 250 is an added bonus. You do have to be more conscious/aggressive w/ your gearing and attack to clear short approach jumps, though.

I loved my 450, but this bike is a dream come true.

I don't miss the 450 power much except for big, long wheelies where it excels. I thought my 450 handled excellent, but the 250 turns faster and easier, esp. taking inside lines where the 450 wants to go wider. Whoops are easier too since unintended variations in the throttle don't upset the bike's balance as much.

The 450 was a great jumper, but the lower weight (and much lower perceived weight) on the 250 is an added bonus. You do have to be more conscious/aggressive w/ your gearing and attack to clear short approach jumps, though.

I loved my 450, but this bike is a dream come true.

Coming from a 400, I mirror those thoughts exactly.

The best thing I like about the 250 is that I never have to be careful with the throttle. I'm never afraid that if I twist the throttle hard that I'll be on my back in a split second. Like you said - especially in the woops - it won't get away from you.

Considering that, I was always "careful" and a bit skittish on my 400.. always worrying about giving it too much throttle. Within a matter of laps I was being a more aggressive rider on the 250.