04 crf 450 hard starting when cold

i'm on my third crf 450 NEW 04 BEst ON BY A LARGE MARGIN BUT... TAKES A MINIMUM OF 25 KICKS TO START WHEN COLD. 15 HRS SINCE LAST VALVE ADJUSTMENT. ANYONE ELSE? :)

all these bike have the same problem. somtime's my bike will start easy and somtime's i just walk away. :)

Turn choke on.Turn the throttle 4-5 times. Kick with your hand off the throttle.

It should start then die. Turn 2 more times kick again.

I have an 04 with about 12 hours on it. It always starts on about the 10th or more kicks since new. Only when it is warm does it start on first or second kick.

My 04 almost always fires 2nd or 3rd kick. Once I learned how to start it.

First, take exhaust plug out. Something I always seem to forget.

Turn gas on, pull choke out, wait a few seconds, then twist throttle 3-4 times. Bike should fire, idle , then die. Twist 2 more times, Kick and bike should then fire and idle. Sometimes I have to start a third time with NO twists of the throttle.

Also, for those coming off a 2 stroke, you have to learn how to kick it also. Smooth stroke and follow thru. Don't jab at it. :) My buddy just picked his 04 up new years eve. I had to start it at the dealer and for the first part of the day the following day. He was starting it fine by the end of the day.

My 04 fires up first kick, all the time. But didn't always do that. I had an 02 CRF and it fired up so easily it was ridiculus... made everybody else jealous. The 04 wasn't so easy at first and it aggravated me. Installed the powernow, JD jet kit, and ZipTy Racing fuel screw - and it fires up easier than my sons XR50. Funny thing to watch out for, when I installed the ZipTy fuel screw, I realized the stock fuel screw had fallen out! Gone. Nothing. That was why my bike was running lean too. Now it's perfect.

Start procedures are exactly as described above:

- Exhaust plug out - I forget that all the time too.

- Gas on.

- Choke on.

- I slowly kick it through a couple times just to get things moving (this is a holdover from my CR500 days).

- 3 twists of throttle.

- Full kick from TDC with NO THROTTLE.

- Fires up then dies.

- 2 more twists of throttle.

- Full kick from TDC with NO THROTTLE.

- Fires up.

Good luck.

"First, take exhaust plug out. Something I always seem to forget."

That fires my ass when I forget to do that! I have 40+ hours on my rig, no valve tweaking yet and it will fire first kick cold if you put it through the routine...choke, blip blip, kick kick, KICK and FRRRRRRRRTNAAAAAAAAAAAN

Actually my bike has always been a bear to start on cold mornings as well. Recently I put the JD kit in. I was in my garage changing my oil and my bike didn't have any oil in it, or the gas turned on, or the choke on. I pushed on the kickstart to get some of the old oil out of it and it started right up! Of course that kind of sucked but I killed it right away. Good thing I run a good synthetic that tends to really cling to those internal components. Anyway I now have the jet kit pretty dialed in (the technical support and directions for my conditions were pretty useless) and that bike definitely starts a bit easier as well as hits a bit harder and pulls a bit longer.

My 04 almost always fires 2nd or 3rd kick. Once I learned how to start it.

First, take exhaust plug out. Something I always seem to forget.

Turn gas on, pull choke out, wait a few seconds, then twist throttle 3-4 times. Bike should fire, idle , then die. Twist 2 more times, Kick and bike should then fire and idle. Sometimes I have to start a third time with NO twists of the throttle.

Also, for those coming off a 2 stroke, you have to learn how to kick it also. Smooth stroke and follow thru. Don't jab at it. :) My buddy just picked his 04 up new years eve. I had to start it at the dealer and for the first part of the day the following day. He was starting it fine by the end of the day.

BINGO!

...thats why you hold the kill button down when getting that last bit of oil out... :)

...thats why you hold the kill button down when getting that last bit of oil out... :)

Yah, I know but the thing has always been real tough to start when it is cold outside and the thing hasn't been ran in awhile. Then I kicked it at about half speed. Oh well, it wasn't long enough to make any difference at all. Everything is still completely coated w/ good 'ole Mobil 1 for a good few seconds even w/ the oil drained out of it. Live and learn I always say.

There was a letter in the paper in the auto section from a guy who wrote in bragging how he would drain his oil and then start his car and run it for a minute to get ALL the dirty oil out...some people. The columnists mockedhim and told him that he must tell people he did that when he sells the car!

ALSO, make sure your Idle is not set too high. It will always cause hard starting if it is.

:)

find a step hill and push bike as fast as you can, get on and slam your butt on the seat as hard as possible while putting in gear. bike will fire-up no problem :)

like i said this is my third CRF 450 02, 03, now the 04. none of the other CRF's exibited this starting trait when cold. I have been religous about valve adjustments with all the bikes just because of how high they rev. I live in anchorage ak and would like to stud up and ride the 04 in the winter just like I did with the 02 and 03, but I'm concerned that the bike wouldn't start by the time i transported it to the track when it's cold outside. when the bike does finally start, it backfires and pops until warm, then starts(even in gear w/clutch in)and runs perfectly.

Make sure your fuel screw is still in place. Mine fell out and caused the bike to run lean - hard starting and lots of popping until warm.