1971 Honda SL ? XL 125

Does anybody remember the early 70s honda model XL 125 I think that was the designation. It was a different bike then the other Jap dirt bikes at the time. It was a dual sport, I remember cause I had one. But the unique feature was it had an over sized front wheel. A 21" front wheel I think it was. That bike looked cool with the larger front wheel , never knowing if it did any good.

If you remember the bike, what was the designation? XL 125 like I thought? anyway i moved on to a honda 350 street bike, but I noticed over the years no one else ever did the oversized front wheel again. I guess I was lone ranger on that bike. It had those hard metal blinkers and I would unscrew them, take em off for every dirt ride cause they would break on any fall. memories....... this was long before mono shocks, except for a few exotics had em.

I remember I wanted a Penton 125 at the time. I was told it could climb straight up a vertical wall. :)

I had a '75 XL125 that mated with the Powroll catalog. Wish I still had it.

I don't believe the XL line debuted until 1973. Prior to then they were called SLs. I remember that the SL125 was the first 'real' motorcycle I ever rode.

I had a '75 XL125 that mated with the Powroll catalog. Wish I still had it.

I don't believe the XL line debuted until 1973. Prior to then they were called SLs. I remember that the SL125 was the first 'real' motorcycle I ever rode.

that that could be it an SL, wasn't my first bike . I had my dad's 68 CB 100, but still it was MY first bike that I owned and bought myself with money from a restaurant job working for $1.35/hour after school.

The bike was $425.00 out the door - Dang that sounds impossible like the old stories my dad would tell about housing prices and car prices way back younder.

The XL125 came out in 1974 so yours was probably an SL125. The SL125 had a 21" & 18" verses the 19" & 17" for the SL100. The only other main difference between them was the bore. I'm building a SL125 with 100 wheels (shorter) for my G-friend to race this season. I race a Penda, SL125 motor in a Penton frame. Check out the Honda gallery to see the old Hondas. penda17r.jpg

The XL125 came out in 1974 so yours was probably an SL125. The SL125 had a 21" & 18" verses the 19" & 17" for the SL100. The only other main difference between them was the bore. I'm building a SL125 with 100 wheels (shorter) for my G-friend to race this season. I race a Penda, SL125 motor in a Penton frame. Check out the Honda gallery to see the old Hondas. penda17r.jpg

Geez, did I see that bike at Peoria, IL last year? :)

Not this bike, but maybe Randy Skiver's. There are 3 up here in the Pacific Northwest and I think Skiver does the AHRMA National events. :) He's an ex-national dirt tracker and boy does he rip around on his SL125. These are also 'classic' legal. :D

I knew I saw one of those 'Penonda' or 'Honton' bikes...

Nice pic. :)

Yeah, Classic-legal...what a joke those rules have become. Between that and the PV Historic class, the rulebook is upside down. :D

Some information from the Honda Motorcycle Identification Guide (1959-1998):

SL125 1971 colors: Candy Emerald green, Strato Blue Metallic, Poppy Yellow Metallic

SL125 1972 & 1973 color: Special Silver Metallic

All had the 21" front and 18" rear tires

The XL125 was made from 1974 until 1985, and were predominantly red with some black highlights on certain years.

Hope this helps...

yup that's it a 1971 SL 125. Nice to see it again , thanks I had the green one and use to jump the heck out of that bike, on any sunday style, ya know how you turn the wheel in the middle air of the jump. Now the kids do freestyle, but turning that front wheel in mid air for a 15 year old was way cool many year ago. My DRZ is so nice compared with that 30 year old bike but i miss the lightness of a 125 frame :D:)

http://100megsfree4.com/honda/h0100/sl125.htm

i have a 71 sl125 it started out as a poppy yellow metalic then it was painted. it dosent run currntly but i am trying to fix it or sell it.?action=view&current=845fab8d.jpg

In the last two years, I've taught my grandaughter, daughter and wife how to ride on our little '75 XL100. Bought the bike from a neighbor three years back ($300), and who knows how many owners its been though. The second to last owner painted it flat black and white. Probably one of the best learner bikes ever made.

I learned how to ride on a 71 SL175. It was a twin, not a single. It was street legal but did have dual purpose tires. Wasn't very good offroad, too heavy and wasn't fast enough onroad, but it was comfortable to ride.

My best friend had an sl100 when I was like 14. That bike was really loud (no guts in the muffler) he had all the signals and other stuff removed and he rode the wheels off that thing. Ahh, Memories.

That SL 125 brings back great memories !! When I was around 13 / 14 I had a Yami 175 enduro and one of my riding buddies in Clear Lake Ca. had a new SL 125. That bike was very cool - my buddy could wheelie that crap out of that thing. We had a great flat track oval we all used to race on and he did great against our 175 2 smokes. I wanted one bad when they came out. Loved that 21 inch front wheel - ended up putting a 21 on my 175 as well. Lots of history with old Honda's !! :banghead:

dp :banghead: