Sign in to follow this  

2013 250SXF 110hr Rebuild after 12 months

Thats one pain in the butt rebuild you have going on there man i feel for you! If the parts that the dealer ordered were incorrect then they are responsible for getting you the correct parts. If however you supplied the part numbers then the fault is yours.

Headgaskets should never be re-used, they crush to the correct thickness and usually have a coating on them to seal them. Once the head studs or bolts are loosened the seal is broken.

Also grinding in valves/seating valves is basic mechanical knowledge, if someone calls themselves a mechanic then they should know what they are doing. If i were in your shoes id find a good engineering company and get them to machine your head and sort it, shouldnt cost you the price of a new head.

I love the fact that you gave it a shot and like to do your own work. Dont let this scare you off, the next rebuild you do will be so much easyer

Thanks , But the parts never broke the valve seat ? And installed the rockers upside down ? That must say that you don't trust this dealer to do anything correctly ?

I'm as confused as you are. The dealer thinks the clearances have never been good (which is BS). They feel the seat is simply worn.

Luckily the head is at a machine shop, but they want to charge an exorbitant amount of money to do it right. I'm scared to put money into the head and find there are more issues down the road. The valve guide should not have damaged the valve like it did. The valve was smooth in the guide from day one, even with the small issue.

tye glad you took my post with the humor that was intended. I would do the new head and get back to riding . sometimes the money isn't worth the stress ... hows the shoulder/ collarbone doing ? did it heal well?

tye glad you took my post with the humor that was intended. I would do the new head and get back to riding . sometimes the money isn't worth the stress ... hows the shoulder/ collarbone doing ? did it heal well?

I'm gonna make a few calls monday and find a good deal on the head. That will be my backup plan incase everything else falls through. I have a feeling KTM's delay on getting back to me is simply them being busy and taking their time.

I'm not very stressed about the motor build. I'm riding the 2 stroke and after a shit load of tuning, its ridable and I'm finally picking up speed. Its been a blessing in disguise because riding the 2 stroke has been good for me mentally. I was so focused on hitting the bigger obstacles and riding the bigger tracks, I kinda lost track of the fun element. I'm not quick enough to ride the pinger on the bigger tracks, so it generally keeps me out of trouble and its been a lot of fun to throw the ultralight pinger around.

My shoulder could be better, but its not bad. I'm still happy I opted for natural healing. In another year or so, it should be in better shape. I can ride, I can train and even though my fatigue level is greater then it use to be, it just forces me to work harder. The good new is, I don't have a droopy shoulder, I don't have any physical signs of a broken bone either. Just looking around at my friends, they all have scars or bulging calluses. As I tell them, broken collar bones are just one of those normal things when it comes to riding bikes of any kind. Its the most commonly broken bone in the body!

I was so focused on hitting the bigger obstacles and riding the bigger tracks, I kinda lost track of the fun element. I'm not quick enough to ride the pinger on the bigger tracks, so it generally keeps me out of trouble and its been a lot of fun to throw the ultralight pinger around.

So what your saying is you only ride the Vet track on your 150?  Jesus dude get on the main track already you've been riding that sorry excuse for a track for 3 years. :lame:

After talking with a bunch of head shops, I came to the conclusion it would be about the same price to buy a new head.

I talked with three head shops and all of them recommended replacing all the seats, as they say with 100hrs on it, they will be worn too much. So once you do the seats and labor to put the head back together, the pricing range between $395 - $510 + shipping both directions AND Tax since they're all local companies doing the work.

I then talked with KTMpartshouse about potentially buying a head and they will send me a brand new head for $440, delivered in approximately 2 weeks time.

I decided to buy the head instead of re-building my old one. The new head is an updated version as well, KTM has dumped the 13' head part number, so it will be interesting to share the difference between the two heads.

KTM North America has been unresponsive so far. I honestly expected more action from them, but its only been a week. I'm going to bug them later in the week and see if they have any new data. At this point, I'm just tired of having the bike sitting in my garage in pieces. If it was together and running, I could make some decisions, but until then its just a bunch of used parts which aren't worth much on the open market.

tye i think your making the right choice! but it behind you and in joy the bike once more...   

• Like 1

Typical owner story doing their own work. Plain and simple.

GOOD dealers are few and far between - but a GOOD dealer wouldn't have had any of these issues.

Maybe deal with action ktm in texas - I know first hand they know what they are doing.

It's a typical Tye story thats for sure.  He's been through 6 suspension tuners and says all of them were WAY off.  Thats why he bought the Ohlins, ask him how that went..... (grab some popcorn, your in for an adventure)

• Like 1

Yes, I lacked the experience necessary to decipher which oil seals were which. I made the assumption what KTM sent me, was the right thing.

GOOD dealers are few and far between - but a GOOD dealer wouldn't have had any of these issues.

I have yet to find a good dealer with anything I've dealt with. This is why I order all my parts online, because the local dealers are inept. However, the guys shuffling parts around at your local dealer, they haven't got a clue what the right parts are for your bike. They rely on the microfiche just like I do. So when the microfiche was wrong (which it still is today), then what else can you do?

Maybe deal with action ktm in texas - I know first hand they know what they are doing.

I doubt they're opening up every single part and comparing it against parts they have at the shop. Thats the only way we were able to figure out the parts were wrong...

tye I've been thinking this for awhile . IT'S TIME FOR YOU TO GO JAPANESE :thumbsup: !!!! yes my friend it's time to move along :ride: that dam ktm has brought you so much pain and frustration :facepalm: the suspension OH MY GOD :banghead: it was fighting you. then the ohlins suspension and there poor quality forks :( that you would not had needed on a JAPANESE BIKE :thumbsup: it makes me so angry that ktm has put you though so much in so little time TYE my friend yes OH YES!!! it's time to sh#tcan that ktm piece of junk :smashpc: SO you can have happy thoughts once again :smirk: you wont have to come on here and :foul: I hope so because I like many read your threads and well WE WANT YOU HAPPY ON A YAMAHA :applause: or anything other then a ktm

Can't tell if troll or not...

Tye, can you describe how to line up the timing marks on the cams for you bike, currently rebuilding the same model as yours

and the timing marks are very different to the previous model. I have no manual so wanted to check this.

Thanks

They have to face each other and be in line with the seam on the head (where it joins with the bridge) the lobes will not be in a position that a nap bike will , ie not symmetrical

Tye, can you describe how to line up the timing marks on the cams for you bike, currently rebuilding the same model as yours

and the timing marks are very different to the previous model. I have no manual so wanted to check this.

Thanks

Do yourself and your engine a favor and get the manual!

• Like 1

Thanks guys for answering his questions. Been a busy week! :)

Hey were you at Milestone on last Thursday riding your 2smoke? I saw you cruising back from the Vet track. I tried to find you in the pits but couldn't find where you were parked. I was out there on my 250.. Looked like you got the Ohlins back..

Hey were you at Milestone on last Thursday riding your 2smoke? I saw you cruising back from the Vet track. I tried to find you in the pits but couldn't find where you were parked. I was out there on my 250.. Looked like you got the Ohlins back..

Yeppers, that was me! I'm there every thursday. :)

Yea, still trying to make these 14' Öhlins work. We're getting very close... few more days of testing and they should be good to go!

I always park in the same place, under the trees near the entrance. Can't miss me, I'm the only guy with a white E250 anywhere near there on thursdays. So yea, come on by next time. ;)

I have not looked at a thread on thumpertalk in months. Nor did I intend to. I came online to check out mxa's 13 250sxf buyers guide since I just bought one as a second bike to my 14 250sxf and wanted to see what tips they had and I saw this thread. All I have to say is that the guy who stated "no one else has these problems" is absolutely correct. I've put over 5,000 hours in of straight mx riding in my life, being conservative, and I have never had any of these problems, nor have I heard of anyone who has. Tye, first of all looking at your YouTube videos I wouldn't have pulled my motor apart until about 250 hours if I babied a 250f as much as you. You decided to tear into a fresh bike and destroyed it in the process. You spent $3000 and got cheap over a head gasket, I hope you learned your lesson. You are an incompetent mechanic with no knowledge of motor building. Although I give you credit for your attempt, I think it's ridiculous how you blame everyone else for your mistake. Want to know why the ktm rep is rude? Because he hears a thousand idiots everyday who used an old gasket and want ktm to make up for it somehow. Ktm makes a reliable motor. I went through top ends on my kx250f in 30 hours and they would be on the ragged edge of blowing up. I brought in my ktm for a top end at 50 and my mechanic put it back together and said run it another 30, it'll be fine. They make quality motors, for you to call in with a 110 hour motor that you left a blown head gasket in while rebuilding and expect some compensation takes nerve, I can see why the rep would roll his eyes at you. You're a prima donna. You are a vet beginner who feels like someone on YouTube and the internet so you make a big deal out of every track day or oil change you have. You make ktm look bad (without true merit), you make motocross look bad (with zero merit), and you make yourself look beyond foolish. You are the laughing stock of the website. Search your name and see how many people laugh at you. Please, quit your belly aching and waisting your time on this website. It's so old. As for your bike. Take it to a real mechanic and save yourself some time and money. When I say a real mechanic I don't mean your hole in the wall ktm dealer. Ask local privateer pros down in so cal who a solid mechanic is. Guarantee he'll have it fixed within 2 or 3 days of receiving parts. End of the day this isn't days of our lives. Get off this website. Stop making moto into a daytime drama and start truly enjoying moto for what it is and not the scene you've built for yourself surrounding it.

• Like 2