Sign in to follow this  

*** GPR Stablizer & EXC Bikes *** My FI power wire broke.

My bad, don't make it yours.

I installed a GPR Stabilizer on my 2013 KTM 500EXC.

It took a year, but I never bent the piece of metal off the connectors attach to and the neck of the GPR "POST MOUNT" was rubbing on the wire clusters ultimately breaking the wire that powers the Fuel Inj system. Dead in the water. GPR does make mention of this. It took a year of regular riding. There are other wires that have the coating worn off, but didn't break. 

Just saying, you might want to pull the metal part where the plastic connectors are located behind the head light and check for any wear.

• Like 1

No issues with the Scott's. I'm over 2000 miles and 80 hrs on my 5hunny!

I had the same problem with a scotts damper. The wires behind the headlight were , unknown to me , were rubbing on the post clamp. It eventually shorted out and fried the whole wiring harness and nearly the whole bike.

Good point. This is an older bike, but I put these spacers on the ODO unit to help, as recommended by Scotts. I recently noticed that some wires are still touching the clamp. You motivated me to pull the headlight and put in some protection. 

100_2987.jpg

My bad, don't make it yours.

I installed a GPR Stabilizer on my 2013 KTM 500EXC.

It took a year, but I never bent the piece of metal off the connectors attach to and the neck of the GPR "POST MOUNT" was rubbing on the wire clusters ultimately breaking the wire that powers the Fuel Inj system. Dead in the water. GPR does make mention of this. It took a year of regular riding. There are other wires that have the coating worn off, but didn't break. 

Just saying, you might want to pull the metal part where the plastic connectors are located behind the head light and check for any wear.

Great thread.  I just installed a GPR V4 on my 2014 KTM 350 EXC-F last night.  Now I get why they included the longer bolts and spacers.  Thanks!!!  Back to the garage to install them and really take a good look at the wires.  Excellent info!! 

A lot of riders have been hit with this. I installed wiring loom and then carefully cable tie everything out of the way. KTM's wiring behind the headlight mask has been a disaster for many years. Even without the stabilizer the wiring may rub on the stem and still wear through.                                                                                                                                                                

Also if you tie everything up correctly it takes stress off the connectors which ultimately is another point of failure.

Good point. This is an older bike, but I put these spacers on the ODO unit to help, as recommended by Scotts. I recently noticed that some wires are still touching the clamp. You motivated me to pull the headlight and put in some protection. 

100_2987.jpg

That looks like the money move!

I wonder if the 2014's are different? My bike has a hard plastic cableway on the harness that protects the harness from rubbing on the head tube and holds it away a bit. I just put a Scotts submount on there is no contact between the harness and the tower clamp.

Rode yesterday with my buddy who has a 2013. The harness is different and much better protected on the 2014.

Edited by PBDBLUE

My '13 did the same with my scotts. Took it back apart and was able to move things around to hopefully never have any trouble..Love the performance of the stabilizer tho!!

I have 450 exc and the guy who had it before me installed a gpr dampner. After I owned the bike for a while ielectrical having electrical gremlins first the front brake light stoped working then started getting a little shock from clutch lever once in a while finally one day some one stopes for a break n when I turned around to head back to them bike died . After hour of kicking the electric start would not work had to call for a ride . Next day found all the fuses were blown , replaced them bike started but melted the wire going to my start button . After riding it and a couple fuses later noticed blew the fuses when I turned all the way to the left . Started rippin into it then removed the metal bracket that hold all the molex connectors to the bike. And there was my problem 9 wires on 3 separate plugs were rubbed bare or completely rubbed in half ,I am surprised anything worked. No one noticed when the put the dampener on and I never looked but the dampener rubbed and shorted out the bike . Easy fix lowered the whole metal bracket that holds the plugs about 1 inch . Then went to radio shack got some new pins and a pin tool total cost about 15 dollars. Just some cutting off of the old pins crimp the new ons on then slide them back into the molex connector good as new. But the rubbing is an issue when you install a dampener so keep an eye out.