Resitance and a fuse?

I have been having a problem blowing a fuse for my radiator fan. I took the wiring harness out and looked for a short but could not find one. The only thing I could find was on of the plugs had some corrosion. Would this cause the fuse to blow??

if the corrosion is bridging to a ground as normaly does then yes. what amp fuse are blowing? do you have a meter?

5 AMP and yes I do have a meter, but I have since cleaned the corrosion.

So the Corrosion can bridge the gap between positive and negative??

yep, but just to be scientific the corrosion itself is usually resistant isn't the material causing the short. it's when the corrosion get moist, wet, or another material bonds with the corrosion that can be conductive and cause the short. The corrosion just acts more like the path way for other things to adhere to. Mainly water/moisture.

It's probably not the main problem but refurbing the connectors and adding dielectric grease will ensure the connection is good and that brings the overall load down on your alternator/stator.

Does the fuse blow instantly or is this something you noticed after rides?

if after rides and not instant than put your meter to measure amps and see how much the fan is pulling when the bike warms up and fan is activated. You may have burned-out fan drawing to much load or/and short going to or in the fan.

If your problems not the worn out fan and whatnot as said above, trace the wiring all along. Electricity always takes the shortest path, so if theres a place where it can connect to the frame, or something conductable coming into contact with the frame, then it will take it.

Make sure all wires are insulated properly and fully, clean all electrical connections of corrosion or anything not supposed to be there.

Not only do you have to check the wires providing power into the fan, but out and back to the power source. Make sure all connections are tight, any battery cables tight enough so the cable can not be moved with the nut holding it down.

Most people say electrical problems are a pain, ad take ages to sort out, but if you break it down into each indvidual circuit, and understand how electricty flows, its really quite simple and easy

And just a fact not many people know, electricity flows from the negative point on the battery to the positive

• Like 1