Which bars?

I posted this in the Yamaha forum and didn't get squat for answers, so maybe the general population will be more friendly.. :)

I'm ready to buy a Scott's Steering Damper and triple clamp complete set and they let you select any bar you want. I know this has come up before but I'm at a loss here. Should I go Protaper or Renthal Fatbars? High or Low bars? I'm 5'7" and my WR has been lowered about 1.5". SBG has Hi bars but it's tough to tell if I'd like them because I get a nosebleed sitting up on his seat! I would think that since I'm standing most of the time, I wouldn't have to reach as far with taller bars. Any thoughts? :D I also want to be sure that I can bolt my Pro-Bends back on

I had a 2000 YZ426 with the Renthal Billy Button Hi bars and loved them. I'm 6'1"and I felt much more in control. I also road with the SDG Tall Foam seat. (best $100 I've spent!) I now have a 2000 WR400F with the Scotts Steering Dampner and the Pro Tapers. I still use the SDG seat and have gotton real comfortable with the Pro Tapers. Sometimes I think about switching to the Billy Buttons again, but have gotton used to the Tapers and probably will stay put. These type set-ups are such a personal thing that its hard to recommend anything in particlar. These are just my personal experiences. Hope it helps. :)

I had a 2000 YZ426 with the Renthal Billy Button Hi bars

Perhaps you mean the "Jimmy" Button bend. Billy button sounds like some hillbilly from Arkansas.

Are you sure it wasn't the Jimmy Buffet "margaritaville" bars? :)

I run the Jimmy Button bars with inch and a half risers, which set the bars another inch foward... Then again im 6'7"

FlyByWire,

Have you ever tried the Billy Button bend? I hear they get them special order from Arkansas.

Have you given any thought to the Fasst flex bars? I'm contemplating on trying them out to replace my CR-HI bend bars and they can now be setup to work with a damper. I've read some good stuff about them in the CRF forums, but I've not tried them myself. They come with a 30 day money back guarantee, so I figure I won't have anything to loose if I don't like them. If anyone has any first hand opinions on these, please share them here or send me a PM.

http://www.fasstco.com/html/flexx_bars.html

I think the Pro-Taper CR hi bars would better suit you aggressive rideing style. If you are as short as you say you are (and who am I to argue), Maybe a TTR125L might give you more confidence and increase you loop times. On a more serious note, with the CR hi bars you can adjust them slightly towards you so you won't have to bend over as far :D while standing :D. Just make sure you do not get the off-set triple clamps with these bars or you will defete the whole purpose of what you are trying to do. As far as your question reguarding the Probends, all you will need to do is purchase new hardware for the Pro-Tapers have a larger diameter. By the way, all these TT'ers opinions are all subjective anyway and you will just have to evaluate your choices and make up your own mind :D

Smoke :)

Have you given any thought to the Fasst flex bars?

Very cool bars, but won't work with Pro-Bends.

Maybe a TTR125L might give you more confidence and increase you loop times.

Paul, I hope your woodruff key snaps off and flys right through the seat!! :)

Check out oldnbold's post on this thread . Its the first place I have seen a method for choosing the bar that's right for you. I haven't tried it yet, but it's worth a shot at least. I found it on the not very helpful Yamaha forum. :)

I like the Kevin Windham bend ProTaper bars. I am 5'-9" tall and they work great everywhere but in tight woods. Real wide and high when used with the Scotts top mount. They really help with leverage on sandy terrain. :)

Paul, I hope your woodruff key snaps off and flys right through the seat!!

:D

Smoke :)

I posted this in the Yamaha forum and didn't get squat for answers, so maybe the general population will be more friendly.. :D

I'm ready to buy a Scott's Steering Damper and triple clamp complete set and they let you select any bar you want. I know this has come up before but I'm at a loss here. Should I go Protaper or Renthal Fatbars? High or Low bars? I'm 5'7" and my WR has been lowered about 1.5". SBG has Hi bars but it's tough to tell if I'd like them because I get a nosebleed sitting up on his seat! I would think that since I'm standing most of the time, I wouldn't have to reach as far with taller bars. Any thoughts? :D I also want to be sure that I can bolt my Pro-Bends back on

Handle bars are kinda personal, but if your like me you would like the CR high

bars you can stand up on the pegs and not feel like your going over the bars when you have top brake hard...you need

that leverage to keep your balance....

But like I said....Bar selection is kinda personal.....

BC :)

FlyByWire,

Have you ever tried the Billy Button bend? I hear they get them special order from Arkansas.

I heard about those!!! Something about the crossbar knocking out your front teeth right?? I think that his bro Cleetus makes those... :)

Brett :D

Hey guys,

Sorry for butting in but one of our customers was nice enough to document the installation of the CYCRA pro bends on the Flexx bar. Here is the link if you are interested.

http://fasstco.com/html/mounting_hand_guards_0.html

Thanks