Ti VS Aluminum VS Steel

Steel) Heavy Strong Inexpensive

Aluminum) Light Weak Inexpensive

Titanium) Light Strong Expensive

side note: TT is not a substitute for an engineering degree. :)

but you can very easily read up on the subject...

get one of Timoshenko's materials books, the Beer and Johnston "Mechanics of Materials" text, and a copy of Marks' "Standard Handbook For Mechanical Engineers"; all are available from amazon.com or your favorite bookseller.

jim aka the wrooster

'01 wr250f

He-he...here we go again :)

Yes, I have a Masters in Mechanical Engineering. No, it is not quite that simple. If you just had three equal size blocks, yes. But if you are building a beam or motorcycle frame, You will end up using a lot more Al to get the strength equal to steel. So as in the case of the Yam and Hon 250, the Honda frame is actually heavier and probably more exspensive for Honda to make. It looks like carburator access is not as good, because they had to use a large Al beam. Ti is very exspensive to weld because it does not like Oxygen around and is not as commonly used. :)

I do like the way the Honda frame gets polished when rode, but with Yam frame, you wear the paint off. :D

Well...I have had the 2002 Honda CR250 bare frame and a 2002 YZ250 bare frame on the scale. The Honda is almost 2 lbs lighter.So much for that theory.

If you want to see a real light frame....take a look at Yamaha's R6 frame....it is scary light.

that was way way back in 02. try an 04.

Yamaha took about 6 ounces off for 03/04(according to info given at the dealer meeting in 03)....Honda hasn't changed the frame. these were both 2 stroke frames.