CRF-150...or...TTR-125L(Pros&Cons)

im a beginner. and i have been looking at TTR's cause they say it is a good starter bike. but i have also heard that i will outgrow it fast. i dont want to keep buyin new bikes all the time. i want the best bike for the money and the best bike for stability and less maintenance. and i have ridden dirt bikes since i was a kid. im not new at it but dont know where to go from here. and i want your opinion on the "BETTER" bike. i will be riding tracks and terrain. Basically im looking for a bike to get started on and be able to do alot with ...like i said jumps,track,speed...etc. so give me your opinions please. this will also be in the (Yamaha TTR) section to see what answers i get.

Mainly looking for:

Torque / speed / 4-stroke / stable / overall strong.

!..ThankYou..!

StEpHeN

Stephen,

Tell us a little more about you. How old, tall, heavy is a good start. If you are still growing the CRF150 will fit you longer than a TTR. The suspension is generally better on the CRF, and with the full cradle frame I would say the CRF is stronger stock. The TTR is much lighter and with a few well thought additions can go toe to toe with the CRF. (The BBR skidplate comes to mind for frame strength) I just remembered that Yamaha improved the TTRs for '04 by adding external preload adjusters to the forks and a compression rebound adjuster to the shock, so you get more adjustability with a TTR.

Having worked on both a couple of new CRFs and a buddies two TTRs, my experience is they are about the same as far as maintenance goes. Keep the oil fresh and the air filter clean and you have solved 90% of your problems.

Good Luck! :)

SIZE INFO...

120 lbs

5ft8

still growin a lil

Stephen - even though you are a beginner, I don't think the TTR or the CR150 is the bike for you. You are too tall for them. My son has a CR150, but he is only 5'4". I'm 5'8" and when I ride it I get a cramped feel (my main bike is a KTM 200). If you are still growing, you will look like a circus clown on it in no time!

Although the CR150 is a good running bike, in my opinion it is TOO heavy for beginning riders. If my son drops it in the sand or mud, I have to pick it up because he can't do it. The CR230 is even heavier. Honda needs to rethink both these bikes. The trade-off for weight is cost, of course, but I think there is a lot of room for improvement.

Here's my recommendation - go look for a good used XR200 or even a 125 two-stroke. You can handle them. Just take it easy at first.

i dont want a 2-stroke. it will take to much maintance. are you sure that the TTR & CRF are to small..? :) i dont know what to think. i got people tellin me that the bikes are good size for me & now i got people tellin me they are to small...well... keep the post's coming in.

Ty.

StEpHeN_15

You don't tell how old you are, but I'm assuming you are a teenager. If I'm right, I'd be willing to bet you would be bored with a TTR or a CRF150 in less than a year. Plus, other teenagers your size will be running circles around you on larger, more powerful bikes.

To say that 2-strokes take more maintenance than a 4-stroke is not true. Both types of engines will last for a long time with simple oil changes and regular air filter cleaning. But, if you still want a 4-stroke (and I don't blame you because there are some great bikes out there), I'd recommend looking for something better and bigger than the other bikes mentioned.

If you dont want a two stroke look for a used yz250f. I recently made the switch to the 250f after coming off of a crf150. I am a 16 year old begginer and was bored to death on a crf150. I would get a 250f and you will save some money in the long run.

A bike to consider that is very tough, will last forever, can be had used pretty cheap, but is a touch on the heavy side is an XR250.

It has MUCH better suspension than a CRF150/230, XR200, or TTR125/225. It is lighter than a TTR250 which has an electric start to weigh it down. And the power is friendly enough to teach you how to ride, and while you are saving your coins for a full on racing 250/450 thumper you will have to learn to be smooth and quick to keep up with the folks with higher power bikes. Scott Summers trained for years on the XR250 and wanted to race the GNCC on one but Honda would not let him, so he won year after year on the old XR600 instead.

Hi Stephen,

I'm 5'4" 110 pds and just started riding this year.

I LOVE my CRF150 but totally recognize that I am quickly outgrowing it. I was just riding in Baja and the sand is a little tough on the 150, a little more power would be nice.

I'm also in the dilemna of where to go without spending a fortune on the new bike and then re-fits for my height. You're lucky 'cause you're still growing but I'm at the end of my growth (42 yrs old- not going to likely get any taller now!)

I looked at the CRF230, 'cause it has an electric start and is inexpensive, but the darn thing is even heavier than my bike and who can figure why? For that kind of weight I would be hoping to have a kickstart option and a light kit but it has neither, which is the only reason I didn't go for it yet. I think I'll be ok on the 150 for another year and am hoping they'll have another full accesory option out by then.

Definitely don't get the TTR- You're probably already outgrown it and, if you're experienced and agressive, you'll trash it- I know I would have already. I'll definitely say that the Honda is a tough bike- my learning style has definitely been a little ugly and I've smashed it around abit and it comes through it all.

Have fun

looked at the CRF230, 'cause it has an electric start and is inexpensive, but the darn thing is even heavier than my bike and who can figure why? For that kind of weight I would be hoping to have a kickstart option and a light kit but it has neither, which is the only reason I didn't go for it yet. I think I'll be ok on the 150 for another year and am hoping they'll have another full accesory option out by then.

Why dont you look for a cr85 or yz85. They are alot lighter and a lot more powerful compared to the crf150 of the crf230.

Forget the TTR125L... I tested this bike out when looking at one for my wife (she's also 5'8"). The thing was really gutless. Atleast the CRF is a bit taller of a bike too, but still a bit small for your height. I'd look for a XR200, they're cheap used... or a new 250 fourstroke - which will cost double. At 5'8" you'll be on your tip toes, but maybe by the time you can afford one you'll be a couple inches taller anyway. :)