Talon XR650 and CRF450 rear hub compatibility

I am looking to buy a used set of wheels for my CRF450 and have located a set, but the rear is off of an XR650. Does anyone know if it is possible to make an XR650 rear wheel work on a CRF? The wheel uses a Talon hub and a 4.5" excel rim. The seller said that I could change the wheel bearings to fit a CRF (XR axle 20mm and CRF axle is 25mm). I am concerned that the axial width between the brake rotor and sprocket may be different. Other differences may include the sprocket and brake mounting paterns, but a brake rotor and sprocket are included. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Ken

Most important, you need to measure the distance from sprocket to disc on your crf then see if it's the same. for the bearings i think the xr has a 6304 bearing 20x52x12 if so the o.d is the same as the 450 bearing 6205 25x52x15 also you need to see if xr and crf spacers are the same size, but you may have to machine some new ones. if not, a kawasaki kdx has a 20mm axle that is long enough to fit the crf swingarm. make a sleeved spacer to adapt your stock brake bracket from 25mm to 20mm and run kdx axle with xr650 wheels. as long as spocket to disc measurements are the same,there's always a way to make something work. but it's a lot easier and cheaper in the long run to get the right wheels for your crf...good luck :)

Most important, you need to measure the distance from sprocket to disc on your crf then see if it's the same. ...good luck :)

Samurai hit the nail on the head... however I just measured a Talon XR650 hub and a stock CRF hub... the distance is the same. The best place to start is call White Brothers and order part number 55-803 - CRF Talon hub internals kit. Should retail for about $75 given their pricing. Check to see if it comes with spacers.

White Brothers is Dealer only, so if you don't have a hookup, call me, I'll order ir for you at better than retail. 866-966-MOTO

Hope this helps!

:D

-TK

Most important, you need to measure the distance from sprocket to disc on your crf then see if it's the same. ...good luck :)

Samurai hit the nail on the head... however I just measured a Talon XR650 hub and a stock CRF hub... the distance is the same. The best place to start is call White Brothers and order part number 55-803 - CRF Talon hub internals kit. Should retail for about $75 given their pricing. Check to see if it comes with spacers.

White Brothers is Dealer only, so if you don't have a hookup, call me, I'll order ir for you at better than retail. 866-966-MOTO

Hope this helps!

:D

-TK

Thanks for sharing, that's good to know! Do you know if the front can be converted as well??

Do you know if the front can be converted as well??

A Fr Talon XR650 or Fr EOM XR650 hub?

Either way you will end up way out of alignment for the brake caliper to the Rotor and need serious spacers to accomodate. The OE comes with a speedo drive as well which causes more :D.

IMO you should never space a caliper away from the fork leg.

Better off just getting a Talon or an OE front hub assembly for the CRF... I have a set of OE hubs powder-coated Red, or you can get from dealer around $330.

:)

-TK

Thanks everyone for the info! I called a wheel vendor yesterday and was told the swap would not work as the "offset" was different between the wheels. I thought this meant that the hubs were different distances between the brake and sprocket. SuperMoto_Hookup proved this to be inaccurate.

Are there any other possible problems if the wheel bearings and spacers are swapped to CRF parts. I imagine XR brake rotors and rear brake rotor would be required. Anything else?

Ken

Just got some XR wheels and hopefully with some new bush's machined they will fit my CRFX. Has anyone tried this.