Coolant choice

In the owners Manual says: using coolant with silicate inhibitors may cause premature wear of water seals.

What coolant brand do you use?

The reason I ask is I just replaced replaced my water seal around 70h of riding because trans oil turned pink.

I'm not sure if there is a difference between Redline Water Wetter and Engine Ice. I read a bunch of forums and heard a bunch of mixed views. I use the Redline Water Wetter mixed with distilled. You can get redline at AutoZone or any other autoparts store.

Haven't had any issues w/ my CRF250R running on the track or trails in 106 degree Austin, TX summers.

Engine Ice is simply a Propylene Glycol based coolant vs the traditional Ethylene Glycol based coolant people usually use. EG is a more efficient coolant BUT PG tolerates overheating conditions better AND is is relatively non-poisonous. There are several "green" auto coolants available that are PG-based, like engine ice, but end up about 14th the cost. Sierra (made by Peak) is a name that comes to mind. Buy the 1 gallon jug and mix it with 1gallon of distilled water and you have 2gal of "engine ice" for $21 vs buying 64oz of engine ice for $22.

Engine Ice is simply a Propylene Glycol based coolant vs the traditional Ethylene Glycol based coolant people usually use. EG is a more efficient coolant BUT PG tolerates overheating conditions better AND is is relatively non-poisonous. There are several "green" auto coolants available that are PG-based, like engine ice, but end up about 14th the cost. Sierra (made by Peak) is a name that comes to mind. Buy the 1 gallon jug and mix it with 1gallon of distilled water and you have 2gal of "engine ice" for $21 vs buying 64oz of engine ice for $22.

EG or PG based coolants are both fine (and appreciably the same) for freezing conditions when mixed 50/50 with distilled water. Water, alone, is a better coolant than just about anything.

Edited by Eddie8v

but it freezes quickly and motor plugs end up popping. But I'm sure you already know this..

EP and PG based coolants both will start to freeze around -30degF for a 50/50 solution. Give or take... oh, maybe you mean water, only. Well, no duh it'll freeze at 32degF, but if you're racing and ambient temp won't get near freezing, it's not an issue. There are no freeze plugs on a CRF motor, btw.

Edited by Eddie8v