older ohlins fork

Howdy, I have the option of putting a ohlins front end on my 250rr. Only issue is the fork is from 2004 - has anybody opinions on just how much open chamber forks have moved on since then.

Fork is off a tm, triple clamps are the same dia. I'd just swap the whole front over

Edited by Paddy with power

Howdy, I have the option of putting a ohlins front end on my 250rr. Only issue is the fork is from 2004 - has anybody opinions on just how much open chamber forks have moved on since then.

Fork is off a tm, triple clamps are the same dia. I'd just swap the whole front over

Those Ohlins forks would be an upgrade from the Sachs 48mm open bath cartridge forks IMO.  Not a whole lot has changed with closed chamber forks in the Showa and KYB models until 2013 with the intro of air chamber forks.  Mostly the coatings on internals and valving has been the updates.  WP and Marzocchi both have bladders in their closed chamber forks.  I have put 2007 KYB 48mm AOS forks on my 2008 Beta with good results and just recently purchased a set of 50mm Closed Chamber Zokes to try out.  I guess it depends on what model Ohlins forks those are on the TM.  They look to be 48mm.  46mm Paoli's were the stock setup and those Ohlins forks a factory option for 2004.    

Talk to some experienced suspension tuners for your sake. I looked into a new set of the older Ohlins for my 2008 Aprilia RXV550 which had 45 Marzoch's. What I found was they "can" be tuned to be OK, but not great, I was told by 2 different tuners the my 45's would be easier to tune and with better results.

And if that is the case then your Sachs forks should be miles ahead of older Ohlins.

FYI……. There is a dealer that is still selling those old style Ohlins brand new somewhere in Spain, which to me says many things, like how come these old model forks are still out there "new" if they are that great, food for thought…..

Since I have the Sachs on my Beta, I'm going to have them tuned to fit my needs, soon…...

Realistically all of today's fork design comes from the Ohlins. Not much has changed outside air replacing a spring for many years in the fork world. One thing I found out with tuners is they don't like the Ohlins simply because they don't have experience with them. A properly tuned Ohlins even the older 2004 will run circles around most of today's Sachs or WP OC forks. They are expensive to get and are harder to find a tuner with the knowledge to set them up. Here in Ohio we have a good reseller/tuner Coppersmith however they are like BMW dealers, high on themselves, snobby and pricy.

KX290F Pilot - I have had 50mm CC zokes on my last bike. Very ridget, firm and stout. When revalved it was the best fork I ever had,, well up until these 48mm. I could hold a line in a dried creek bed at speeds to a point I needed tubeless. If you don't have a tuner for those I can recommend one.

• Like 1

I ran a set of Ohlins like that for four years on some GG's and liked the way they performed but, service parts are very expensive. i.e. bushings over $300.00 back in the day. You can use KYB 46 mm for seals as a replacement for the ohlins seals, they fit but not perfectly, oil seal height wise. I was fortunate enough to have the proper ohlins service tools when working on mine. I later after I sold the bike saw them on the suspension tuners bench after some meatheads had hammered them apart without adequate heat on the lower bushing lands, butchering the alum bushing spacer, not pretty.I have no experience with the Sachs forks so I can't comment in that respect. A final point in respect to the Ohlins I had. It did not appear that any any hard coatings were used on the cartridge parts so the oil would turn ugly black very quickly.

Edited by widebear

I had a pair of these on a 05 tm before and loved them. . It's the main reason they are even being considered.

There Is a dealer here with lots of ohlins experience so service & parts ain't a problem. He said those ohlins will run rings around the sachs. He has lots of sachs experience aswell. (Irish tm importer)

I'll open them up for a look and if they are in order I'll swap over the front end and see how they go.

Barrrrrrruuuuuuppppp!

KX290F Pilot - I have had 50mm CC zokes on my last bike. Very ridget, firm and stout. When revalved it was the best fork I ever had,, well up until these 48mm. I could hold a line in a dried creek bed at speeds to a point I needed tubeless. If you don't have a tuner for those I can recommend one.

Have not had a chance to ride the bike with the 50's yet, but they have been revalved for my weight so I hope they perform well.   I would really like to try a set of the new 48mm Zoke twin chamber forks on the RR Race Betas.  A lot of guys rave about how great they are, but the price is still steep.  I think Beta would be wise to just put those forks on all the RR models.  That would give everyone an update of the bikes to enjoy.

Curtiss, you have the rfs up and running?

Ya.  But the supposed rebuilt 41mm carb I bought was leaking out the inlet so I could not ride it with the fuel leaking all over the cases and starter.  Fixed the carb last night and should get my test ride in this weekend.  That 8/33 cam and 41mm carb makes this bike sound like a beast.  Can't wait to get it on the trail to see how it feels. 

• Like 1

Tell me this fellas. What forks cross over directly onto the Beta 2ts ?  Husky or Yam forks?

In the next week or so I'll know if I am happy with the Sachs or if I will send them away. Otherwise I was thinking of buying a parted out pair of forks and getting them setup for myself and that way I could use them on the next Beta.

Cheapest would be the KYB SSS since many are found used and are great forks. The other way would be to contact Zip Ty racing and see if they still have the 48mm zokes valved and sprung for you at $1600 new.

They are on 06 yam right? 

Are they are direct bolt up? I don't mind changing brake rotor but don't want the hassle of having to do wheel spacers, relocate brake ect,

PM Motoxgiant. He is a Beta dealer here I got my bike from, and put KYB SSS on his 250RR. Made his own upper clamp.

I have the 48 Zokes, had them on a GG as well. Love the way they work, but jury is out on durability / quality IMO. Internal anodizing shot in 30 hrs. Not widespread, but there have been a few cases. I had said in the past a race model with them was a no brainer, but now I'm not so sure. Knowing what I know now and have seen of mine recently I'd go the KYB route for a swap project for sure. Plentiful and relatively cheap parts, big knowledge base, and they work as good as the Zokes. I will likely do the same myself eventually.

• 2 weeks later...

Realistically all of today's fork design comes from the Ohlins. Not much has changed outside air replacing a spring for many years in the fork world. One thing I found out with tuners is they don't like the Ohlins simply because they don't have experience with them. A properly tuned Ohlins even the older 2004 will run circles around most of today's Sachs or WP OC forks. They are expensive to get and are harder to find a tuner with the knowledge to set them up. Here in Ohio we have a good reseller/tuner Coppersmith however they are like BMW dealers, high on themselves, snobby and pricy.

KX290F Pilot - I have had 50mm CC zokes on my last bike. Very ridget, firm and stout. When revalved it was the best fork I ever had,, well up until these 48mm. I could hold a line in a dried creek bed at speeds to a point I needed tubeless. If you don't have a tuner for those I can recommend one.

I have a set of Ohlins suspension forks/shock set up by Coppersmith, amazing!