Sign in to follow this  

YZ 250 for woods riding?

Anybody ride a yz 250 2 stroke in the woods...how does it do? Does it have good bottom end for climbing hills

Nice explanations....lol Ive never ridden a 250 two stroke in the woods so I don't know how they do....I'm also a bigger rider at 230 pounds, does that make a difference...the only 2 stroke I've ridden in the woods is my fiances kdx 200, would the yz have good bottom end like that bike

Nice explanations....lol Ive never ridden a 250 two stroke in the woods so I don't know how they do....I'm also a bigger rider at 230 pounds, does that make a difference...the only 2 stroke I've ridden in the woods is my fiances kdx 200, would the yz have good bottom end like that bike

It would have better bottom end power. Biggest difference in favor of the kdx is the lower 1st gear and heavier flywheel, both those issues can be addressed on the yz.

It depends on what you mean when you ask if it will have good bottom end like a KDX. It will have more bottom end than the KDX, and can be tuned so that it's smooth like the KDX, but it doesn't come from the factory with smooth bottom end. Mine is pretty violent off the bottom right now, but I am in the process of smoothing it out. There's tons of things you can do to make this bike do anything you want!!! And at 230lbs, it will haul you around, no problem!

• Like 1

Great woods bikes, just need a lil setup. Flywheel weight, guards, and get your suspension set for you. A lot of guys swear by retarding the timing one degree really helps with the low end. Never did on mine, nor flywheel weight but I like the snap.

• Like 1

Yeah I'm use to 4 stokes but I'm lookin for a two stroke for lighter weight and cheaper maintenance

I use my yz250 for trails and let me tell you, I love it! Id say if you dont like the snappiness you should get a fww. I dont have one but most people here that use em love em. It lugs well and can rip up top so for me it's great.

It depends on what you mean when you ask if it will have good bottom end like a KDX. It will have more bottom end than the KDX, and can be tuned so that it's smooth like the KDX, but it doesn't come from the factory with smooth bottom end. Mine is pretty violent off the bottom right now, but I am in the process of smoothing it out. There's tons of things you can do to make this bike do anything you want!!! And at 230lbs, it will haul you around, no problem!

Yeah I just ment good luuging power, I figured the yz would have a shorter first gear, but I see you have a wr 450 as well as a yz 250, wich one do yo prefer, because I was also looking at a wr but didn't want a heavy bike like that

I use my yz250 for trails and let me tell you, I love it! Id say if you dont like the snappiness you should get a fww. I dont have one but most people here that use em love em. It lugs well and can rip up top so for me it's great.

I do like the snap of two strokes, just never ridden one in the woods, just the dez....I just thought a yz would bog out in tight trails or steep hills, but I guess its just getting use to it

I do like the snap of two strokes, just never ridden one in the woods, just the dez....I just thought a yz would bog out in tight trails or steep hills, but I guess its just getting use to it

The WR450, can and does, it all. From the Mountains of Montana, to the Deserts of Baja, and the brutally tight singletrack of Calabogie, Ontario, it can handle it all!!! If I had to live with only one bike, hands down, the WR450 it would be. I too wanted something lighter for racing thru the NY woods, so I picked up this YZ two stroke. Only time will tell if I can re-learn how to ride a two stroke again!!!

I haven't weighed it yet, but it feels considerably lighter than my fully equipped WR, which weighed 287lbs!!! :jawdrop:

Ok, my 250 which has the gnarly pipe and an r304 silencer does just fine with stock gearing in the tight stuff. Clutch control has always been the biggest part in controlling a bike well (at least for me).

• Like 1

They are a great woods bike.  I recently picked one up,  with a few mods, they are awesome for the woods.  Throw in different gearing, FMF gnarly, get your suspension done, bark busters, rekluse or FWW, with that you have a great woods bike.  I have been very impressed with the torque on these bikes.  Keep in mind I have been riding a stockish banshee with very little low end power.

I love mine, cheap to buy and maintain was the biggest factor for me.  After i re did my suspension, and threw the rekluse in, its a blast in the woods.  

Edited by Heisenberg87

All my YZ250 has is hand guards and a Steahly flywheel weight, I think 9 oz.  It's a great single track/woods bike as is.  But I'll be swapping to a 18" rear wheel, WR 3-4-5 gears and eventually a Rekluse for the ultimate off road bike (in my opinion).

Acts like an auto tranny. Lets you start from a dead stop while in gear.

All you really need skid plate and bark busters to make them a good woods weapon. Suspension is considered one of the best "out of the box" and unless you are a heafty fella then a few adjustment to clickers is all you need. A FWW isn't really necessary but it does help if you lack clutch control. I have been running the stocker for the last while and it makes for an different feel that is for sure.  

Any late model smoker can be made into a fine woods weapon.  The YZ will have a lot of "Braap and Snap", which may or may not be to your liking in the trees.  Common solutions include FWWs, throttle cams, and taller gearing.  The suspension can also be greatly improved for woods.  One of my riding buds has a 2013 model and it feels great on the track, but it pounds you silly on the trail, when compared to my current bikes (YZ, RM, and KTM, all of which have had revalves for woods). 

Edited by rpt50