Broke my femur last friday!! I'm calling it quits

built up my dream bike for christmas and only had about 45 minutes on it before I got it sideways on a double and broke my femur in three pieces! With young kids, a new career, a beautiful wife, and a long list of other moto injuries, I'm making one of the most difficult decisions yet--I'm calling it quits. I know that I'll want to ride again but at some point you have to ask yourself what's right not just you, but your family. I have met a lot of great people and had some great experiences on dirt bikes and will certainly miss them. I'm sure some of you have been met with similar choices to make and can empathize. Anyhow, I sure enjoyed the short time I had on the CRF250--it was a NICE bike. maybe ten years from now I'll get back in to the whole thing--who knows?? You can check out my bike in the classifieds--my loss your gain.

Laters,

Rob

RJP don't do anything rash, I can't tell you how many times I said the same thing after wading myself up, take some time to heal and just rachet it down a notch ,we all can't be superstars forever ,got to let the young ones have there turn ?

PS good luck what ever you decide and heal strong :D

Hey man I know right where you are. I was in the same position about 3 years ago. Broke my right femur and now have a titanium rod. I decieded to try something new and got into cars. But in the end I was drawn back to MX and just got my CRF250 3 weeks ago. Whatever you do, good luck getting healed up man. I know the pain.

rjp

first......take care of it the right way, and heal properly..you have your priorities straight.....so its all good.

second....dont dump the bike. Trail ride, woods etc.....just slow your pace/method down a bit, but to bail, from your posts etc, isnt the right thing to do. Why?....we all need an out....one way or another.....my back is broke in two places, now healed from airborne ops in the military....neck and shoulder are all doinked up from the same testosterone chasing organization......but I wont give up riding.

I tried......for the same reasons........

and

I got gumpy....(more than HR day to day!) :D

I got pissy.....

I got hard to live with.....(yes more than normal!) :D

and.......its easy to start blaming others for why you are grumpy.....snotty etc......

I love my kids, they are my life......I love my wife....she is my best friend.....on top of everything else........

but......I need HR time too.....

Something to think about......

dont cold turkey.....

improvise and over come......

just $.05 worth from an old man......

you will do what is right.........

good luck!

HR

:D

?

I know that the current pain is making me lean one way. But three years ago I sat on a sand whoop trail in Utah with two broken wrists (one had 37 fractures and had to be fused, the other just required a pin). After 4 surgeries and almost 2 years of recovery I was just getting back into things and then I injured my neck and had 3 vertebra fused last year. I told myself that was it but when I healed I couldn't resist. This last summer was great, I rode all summer very conservatively, never laid it down and had an awesome time. Then last friday, while riding an easy track and negotiating an easy jump (which I still can't figure out how I got sideways on) it went to hell again. My wife is now nursing me back to health for the third time in three years. I figure the few weeks of fun just isn't worth a few months of pain and torture. I know you guys are right, I WILL WANT TO RIDE AGAIN. but I just can't.

I know that the current pain is making me lean one way. But three years ago I sat on a sand whoop trail in Utah with two broken wrists (one had 37 fractures and had to be fused, the other just required a pin). After 4 surgeries and almost 2 years of recovery I was just getting back into things and then I injured my neck and had 3 vertebra fused last year. I told myself that was it but when I healed I couldn't resist. This last summer was great, I rode all summer very conservatively, never laid it down and had an awesome time. Then last friday, while riding an easy track and negotiating an easy jump (which I still can't figure out how I got sideways on) it went to hell again. My wife is now nursing me back to health for the third time in three years. I figure the few weeks of fun just isn't worth a few months of pain and torture. I know you guys are right, I WILL WANT TO RIDE AGAIN. but I just can't.

Not even a 50cc in the backyard? ?

How about just giving up mx and switching to something like woods riding? It would be a shame to give up riding completely.

uhhh I think you should read more carfully ?

But three years ago I sat on a sand whoop trail in Utah with two broken wrists (one had 37 fractures and had to be fused, the other just required a pin).

aaaaahhhhh hahahahha......see ya in a week bro you wont last :D

sorry to hear about the injury man and i wish you the best of luck stayin away from moto...I TRIED IT ONCE its impossible. I kept sein it on TV, bikes in trucks on the freeway, and you have all your friends witch makes it the hardest part

Oh, you will be back...my dad quit for 18 years after my oldest brother was born and made a mutual dicision with mommy to get rid of the bikes.....well then lil mikey came along and now he were out racin all the time although dad is strictly trails he supports me racin MX.....mom hides her wyes when i get to the big jumps but at least she is out there, also she has no idea what a 450 means just that i have one and for some reason everyone else i race is a lot older ?

Do what ya feel is best.....dood luck with the family and i garuntee one of those kids will be naggin for a bike anytime soon

Sorry about the leg.

Dirt Bikes are like Alcohol, it never leaves you.

You quit for a while then it hits you harder than ever.

Why do you ride? Do you ride because you enjoy it, or do you ride for the adrenalin rush it creates or cures.

If you ride for the rush quit while your still alive, if you ride because you love it, slow the hell down and live to share your passion with your family.

You can quit but you can't hide.

Quit for the right reasons not the wrong ones.

Take care ?

laundry list:

1.Broken tibia/Fibula (twice)

2.at least 5 concussions

3.left broken wrist

4.right broken wrist that needs to be fused

5.seperated shoulder

6.hyperextended left hip.....just now walking normal

7.big-ace hematoma on back that hasn't gone down in almost 3 months

8.I don't know how many dislocated and broken ribs.......

AND I ABSOLUITELY CAN'T WAIT TILL FRIDAY SO I CAN GET UP AT 5AM TO HEAD OUT TO MY FAVORITE TRACK AND DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN.........My friends and family do not and will not ever understand ?.............Happy healing

Ive got 17 broken bones on my resume. One of which being a broken femur at de anza raceway back in 1991. I feel your pain. It will only get better, never say never, there will be a day when you will want to ride with your kids, maybe just at a slower pace...

True, only you can make this decision. You have had some tough injuries in the past, and I hope this one heals up well. Who knows, maybe you will find something else to do and it won't be so hard to give up dirt biking. It's an adicting sport and hard to quit, but not everything goes the way we want or expect. Perhaps you can change your riding method and just putt around trails and keep the speeds slow. But if this is going to take 2 years to recover, and it sounds like it could, then selling sounds like a reasonable option. Heal up and make the decision later.

If you are determined to quit, and I believe you, then this website will only make it harder.

I understand your dilemma and don't look forward to what is likely going to have to be in my future. I just can't give it up right now. I also know myself, I can't take it easier than I do.

Heal quick! And when you ask yourself "What am I going to do now?" You might answer, "Everything else."

it seems like that is the "answer" I get from a lot of people: "just slow down, maybe ride trails, stay under control, etc., etc.," Unfortunately, that just doesn't cut it. If you ride, you will crash. I have had crashed that I have walked away from that I thought I would have been killed in. Then, like this time, I get sideways and can not figure out how or why. I had done the same jump (only a 35 foot double that you can't case because the landing is so rounded)probably 20 times. When I broke my rib earlier in the year I was in first gear sitting down on flat trail. I just think I have some bad luck. I raced down hill montain bikes for 3 years and never got hurt one time. And I know that it was as or more dangerous than dirt bikes. I did stuff on mountain bikes that was unvelievable. I had horses growing up and rode rodeos for 10 years (steer wrestling, calf roping, bull riding) and NEVER got hurt. I wrestled in High School, never injured. I swear, its these dang dirt bikes. Anyway, its always easy for the outside person to judge but I think there may be Higher reasons for getting out of dirt bikes. I appreciate all of the comments and they sure help me see that other people are enduring the same crap!! I LOVE RIDING. I LIVE FOR IT. But I have to be alive to do it!!!

It is not necessarily a matter of speed at all, it's a matter of luck and good or bad fortune. We have all crashed many times both high speed and low. Some are more fortunate and only get skins and bruises while others seem to constantly get major injuries. Yeah those injuries are going to heal for now but one day you might have to pay the interest on the loan. It seems to me you should get out of riding, while you love the sport it does not love you. Since a lot of marriages end this way it is best to give it up. I really do sympathize with what you are going through and hope you find something to replace it with. One thing might be just having no pain and able to go places and enjoy walking. Good luck in your future and my best wishes to you ?.