Blast From The Past - Ducati "Baja Winner"

4 strokes ruled Baja back in the day also. Ad from May 1970 Cycle Mag. 1969 Baja Race - 1st Ducati 350 Scrambler - D. Douglas / J. McClerk.

Ducati Desmo with race tested desmodromic valve mechanism. Below is 450cc model. Ad says also available with "Scrambler" type fuel tank on 250cc and 350cc models.

DucatiBaja.JPG

Love all the old bikes, the style and nostalgia. Looking forward to owning a cool old ride one day myself. ?

Yeah Ducati 250s were the bad boys back when....BSA TRIUMPH didn't have a chance against a good Ducky...Over head cam desmo....See Ya later for horsepower

over a Tiger cub or C-15 BSA...This was my Ducati Short tracker..Lightened wheels...Diana Cam, big Delorto Carby..

and the cool road race megaphone...OH

YEAH the nieghbors hated me then too..

BC ?fa072b23.jpg

Gunner,

I have had Ducati RT/450's now for about 30 years and still have several. I just love them despite their short comings. I love the motor but the stock frame geometry could use some work. I lengthened the swing arm a bit to slow down the handling, now it still steers fast but the rear end stays behind me instead of spinning out in front of me and crashing. Now when I am feeling my youth I can get some realy fun feet up power slides on it, almost like a short tracker. I finished the Cowbell Enduro with it in the fall of '83 but did not place anywhere except high on the fun meter. Also rode it in a National (District 36)enduro in the spring of '84 at Clear Creek, I think it was the Quicksilver Enduro.

Somewhere I have the copy of the adviretisment of Doug McClure winning the Baja 500 on his 350 Ducati Scrambler. That picture posted a few days ago was of a 450 MkIII D street bike. If I can find it I will try and figure out how to post it to the list.

Larry

SF Bay area

Way to go Larry! ?

I never officially raced mine. Just a lot of serious trail riding and hill climbing. Can't remember the details, but somehow I hooked-up with three guys that had started dirt riding around '73 or so. Two SL350's and a DT250. At the time I had an XS650 Yamaha that I pulled the mufflers off of and was tearing around the country roads. Anyway, Johnny owned a farm and a bulldozer and wasn't afraid to use it! We cut trails, built a track and had at it. It didn't take long to figure out that a 450lb. street bike didn't work too well in these circumstances! I heard about the "Duke" for sale, went to see it and bought it on the spot. My friends didn't quite know how to react to a cross control, reverse shifting I-talian bike but it was mine and I was in hog-heaven!! The weight distribution made wheelies a breeze and nothing sounds better climbing a steep hill than an open exhaust, big-a$$ single!!!

Unfortunately, it sat in neglect (out of my possession) for several years and isn't running presently. It sits in my workshop, near the heater and close enough that I can pat his tank when I walk by. But, I'm collecting parts and hopefully the "Duke" shall soon ride again! :D

"1-down and 4-up is for sissies" Dave

Gunner,

I bumped into a couple of brochures showing the BSA 500SS and the motocross model that they made in the early 1970's. I also found a copy of an add that pictured Doug Douglas and Jim McClerk who won the Baja race in 1969. Hope they come out and show on the list.

I just tried to cut an paste them directly to this post but it would not come out on the list . I do not have a web page to send everyone to so if anyone wants a copy of the images of what the BSA 500 1971 or a promotional add of the Baja winning Ducati 350, just shoot me an e-mail at Orlidon@pacbell.net and I will forward it to you in jpeg form.

Larry

SF Bay Area

• 4 years later...
Way to go Larry! ?

I never officially raced mine. Just a lot of serious trail riding and hill climbing. Can't remember the details, but somehow I hooked-up with three guys that had started dirt riding around '73 or so. Two SL350's and a DT250. At the time I had an XS650 Yamaha that I pulled the mufflers off of and was tearing around the country roads. Anyway, Johnny owned a farm and a bulldozer and wasn't afraid to use it! We cut trails, built a track and had at it. It didn't take long to figure out that a 450lb. street bike didn't work too well in these circumstances! I heard about the "Duke" for sale, went to see it and bought it on the spot. My friends didn't quite know how to react to a cross control, reverse shifting I-talian bike but it was mine and I was in hog-heaven!! The weight distribution made wheelies a breeze and nothing sounds better climbing a steep hill than an open exhaust, big-a$$ single!!!

Unfortunately, it sat in neglect (out of my possession) for several years and isn't running presently. It sits in my workshop, near the heater and close enough that I can pat his tank when I walk by. But, I'm collecting parts and hopefully the "Duke" shall soon ride again! :worthy:

"1-down and 4-up is for sissies" Dave

Wow, I posted the above quote over 4 1/2 years ago. My how time flies!! Well, believe it or not, I finally started the restoration process about 6 months ago. It's going slow but steady. The engine has been rebuilt, frame painted, wheels redone, new bearings etc. throughout, forks rebuilt, everything polished or cleaned. The battle scars have been proudly left unrepaired. It's still in the workshop, close to the heater. And yes, I still pat it when I walk by.:busted:

Not had my 450RT very long, she shares a garage with an ST4S, 1000SS, and a Gilera Nuova Saturno. Anyway the 450 will be doing a MiniGiro next weekend and then the Italian MotoGiro next year. I have as much fun on the thumper as I do my faster street bikes-actually the 1000ss is not really a 'street bike' even though it is registered-with 108rwbhp and 174kg all up weight with a full tank it is more of a track bike that I ride sometimes on the street.

I would attach a pic but I don't know how on this forum-apart from my avatar.

John

• 3 months later...

That's a 450TS if my eyes do not deceive me-was I think an Italy only model which came as standard with lights, horn, speedo, and revcounter-oh yes, and a silencer-but not the one yours is wearing.

Mine is an RT which I have now got a small horn on and 5" headlight, + the correct Ariette rubber numberplate and CEV rearlight. I also have a 'silencer' on mine-not that I think it actually does much in the way of silencing.......she sounds great when she is pulling.

I have just renewed all of the engine bearings, and had the cases vapour blasted-finished the rebuild just before xmas. I have left all the cycle parts with their original patina though-I prefer her like that-for the time being anyway-I did bash the dents out of the sumpguard and repainted that, but that was it.

John

They were also available here in Canada . I'm the second owner of this one.

You are correct that the pipe is wrong. The head light is also not correct for this model but left on for it's better function than the little 5"er

I'd love to see a photo of yours if you e-mail it to me I'll post it for you here on the forum.

Bruced_500@sympatico.ca

Back in the day my Dad was a road rep for Berliner/Premier(Ducati, Moto Guzzi and Norton importers). I worked for them in the late 70's and early 80's till they sold.

Reno Leoni set up the first 450 R/T uncrated in the States and they loaded it in the back of my Dad's van so he could bring it round to his dealers. That was a Friday and he headed home to Ma. for the weekend.

I was home on leave, saw the bike and told him I wanted it. I had a 500 BSA Victor at the time.

On his way through Jersey on Monday he stopped back at Berliner and made a deal for me and bought the second one for himself.($1400 for the pair. It was great being in the business)

I tried racing it on a motocross track and that didn't work well for me. I ended up with a Can-Am 250 for that but the Ducati ended in the woods and was rode on the sreet after installing a lighting kit.

The first thing to go was the fiberglass fenders. Can't be too many of those left around as they broke as soon as they came in contact with anything.

Next I tore the rear wheel apart on the highway at about 70 MPH. Lucky I didn't get killed as half the spokes were out. We installed spokes from an Indian on it and that solved that.

The only other problem I had was with the frame cracking at the forward tube where the engine mounted.

The bike ended up with the mechanic for Fred Marsh (if you know your Indian factory rider history you'll recognize that name) in Warehouse Point Ct.

After the Duc I replaced it with my, still owned, 79 500 XR. It is no longer a dirt bike. Pics below.

http://s260.photobucket.com/albums/ii29/BHBlacky/

It's got a new tailight on the way and I'm having pipes made to go underneath the engine and it will get a megaphone also. Lots of mods.

The original photo of the XR is borrowed as is the one of the Scott Flying Squirrel. I have one but no restored like that yet.

Blacky