Any Minnesota OHM riders want to get organized for riding

I will be headed up Friday night, more than willing to lend a hand, I have a silver ranger and blue yz. Is there camping at the east parking? I've never been up there and am not too familiar with the area.

I will be headed up Friday night, more than willing to lend a hand, I have a silver ranger and blue yz. Is there camping at the east parking? I've never been up there and am not too familiar with the area.

I am not sure if the bathrooms will be there yet or not.

Camping there is officially okay.

The best link for the trail maps is:

So the Dnr site says huntersville is open? If this is the case I will be up there Saturday final testing before Cambridge on Sunday! Unless nemadji opens.

I don't think the Nemadji OHM trails will be open for quite some time since that place holds it's water and had a ton of snow this winter.

I heard from some Huntersville Enduro workers that the trails were great last weekend, that place is all sand and is best after a good rain.

Ended up riding Appleton on Thursday. As expected, was a weeeeee bit wet haha. Feet were soaked within the first 10min of riding. We were like little kids jumping in rain puddles. Pretty much had the whole place to ourselves, which made it nice. Rode for 3 hrs, the most I've ridden in almost 10 years! Still can't figure out why I stopped riding years ago....wtf was I thinking?! I'm still daydreaming about ripping down a whooped out straight in the sand out there, wide fricken open, front tire just grazing the tops of the whoops..... Mmmmmmmmm

Made the trip up to Huntersville today for a quick shakedown run before Cambridge tomorrow. Standing water in the ditches and fields on the way there, but of course the trails were a perfect mix of slightly moist sand. Amazing how well the trails soak up the moisture. Also was the busiest I have ever seen Huntersville, East lot was absolutely packed for the trail clearing, the field next to the town/outpost had a few trucks and bikes in it, and another 4 or 5 trucks in the west lot where we parked. I'd say there were more people today than the Huntersville Trail Ride last fall.

• Like 2

Pretty wet up here in Gilbert too. Some deep waterholes and snow in the woods in places yet. Quite a few people out riding though, been one long winter. I have to say even a short ride felt good.

Edited by jcm2112

Shout out and thanks to the Twin Cities Trail Riders for maintaining the Huntersville trails and helping us with directions and even gave us a map after we got turned around on a small "detour." Hope to get back up there a few more times this season.

Edited by 89hawkgt

I passed the basic rider course today. The classroom was a lot of common sense material. The 18 different course layouts you had to do on the bike varied from boring to pretty fun. All in all was it worth the $160 for the class? I think it was just for the seat time in prep for road riding. The instructors were some of the best teachers I have had. Off road experience definitely carries over to the street. I watched people struggle with clutch control and slow speed manuvers.

That being said, I'm happy I can now ride on the road legally.

• Like 3

Shout out and thanks to the Twin Cities Trail Riders for maintaining the Huntersville trails and helping us with directions and even gave us a map after we got turned around on a small "detour." Hope to get back up there a few more times this season.

Were you the guy on the KX with the #4?

I haven't even pulled the YZ and DS out of storage.  Gearage is full of furniture (again!), van is full of furniture, snow blower, bicycles, pain cans, misc. CRAP that I had to get out of the house before I sell it.   Gonna be a couple more weeks before I'm free of this stuff.  I knew the year was going to start out this way.  Man, was I correct!

I haven't even pulled the YZ and DS out of storage. Gearage is full of furniture (again!), van is full of furniture, snow blower, bicycles, pain cans, misc. CRAP that I had to get out of the house before I sell it. Gonna be a couple more weeks before I'm free of this stuff. I knew the year was going to start out this way. Man, was I correct!

I'm seriously certain this state of ours is "god forsaken." Enough nice days in the spring to get 10% of the work done mixed in with snow, rain, cold, ice, etc. Then what is supposed to be "summer" actually only consists of 3 digit temps and air that will literally saturate a sponge while lasting a whole 3 months before the snow, sleet, cold, round the year off.... It's an absolute mystery how people farm in this state haha. Effing Wild better have a run at the Cup this year......

• Like 1

Welp.  Think I'm going to hit up Snake Creek/Trout Valley Sat afternoon to work any bugs out of the EC.  Hope it's dried up a bit.  

Have a nice ride on the EC Keith.

I hope you like the bike.  It's nice to know that there's another GasGas being looked after and ridden as they should.

Have a nice ride on the EC Keith.

I hope you like the bike.  It's nice to know that there's another GasGas being looked after and ridden as they should.

Like is an understatement.  

Went to Snake Creek yesterday.  Made it out there around 2pm and just about got ran off the trail road repeatedly by a number of guys hauling ATVs driving their rigs like they were still on ATVs.  No further comment.  

The campgrounds/parking area was pretty full but activity on the trail was light and well behaved.  Lots of new gravel fill for some of the ruts with some random boulders to dodge.  That was fun.  A big area of forest has been cleared at the cul de sac/lookout part of the trail.  Kinda sad to see that.  Otherwise the trail was in fantastic condition.  Hardpack with minimal dust.  Couple of the typical mudhole areas were dry and only a couple small wet spots.  

Enough about that.  I LOVE THIS BIKE.  Toadl - we need to compare.  Something must be up with your suspension or something.  I am so much faster on the EC compared to the WR.  Night and day.  It handles awesome on just the refreshed stock suspension.  I don't get tired as fast and everything about the feel is better.  I had a few times I no doubt would have ate it on the WR and somehow I pulled it off on the EC.  

Bummer of the day: A stick got jammed in my chain guide and took out the black anodizing on the chain side of my rear wheel.  :(

20140510_140634.jpg

Is it Friday yet?

I'm seriously certain this state of ours is "god forsaken." Enough nice days in the spring to get 10% of the work done mixed in with snow, rain, cold, ice, etc. Then what is supposed to be "summer" actually only consists of 3 digit temps and air that will literally saturate a sponge while lasting a whole 3 months before the snow, sleet, cold, round the year off.... It's an absolute mystery how people farm in this state haha. Effing Wild better have a run at the Cup this year......

Believe me - I am SOOOO aware of the limited riding days in a "summer", that this is really killing me.  I tried to think of some way around this all winter but the stars and planets were against me.  At least when it's done, it's DONE.

• Like 1

That's no joke motoxvet! My plates pretty full and have had to cut back on a couple things. Hard to accept at first haha. Bright side is the snows gone! Helps the mood a little bit, at least mine anyway....

Any weekend ride reports? Couldn't get out this past week but am heading to Huntersville on Thursday with a buddy if anyone is in the area. Never been, so will be riding blind hahaha. Itching to ride now that it's Tshirt weather!

Like is an understatement.  

Toadl - we need to compare.  Something must be up with your suspension or something.  I am so much faster on the EC compared to the WR.  Night and day.  

Well, Snake Creek is pretty wide open so I think the more power the better, also my WR is pretty awesome.

I rode the Gas Gas this weekend in the woods at the cabin, which is mostly just really gnarly free woods riding, nothing really fast like at Grantsburg where I noticed the problems.  From the little fast riding I did it's handling better.  I might lower the forks a couple mm more.  I ordered a steal brakeline for the front.  The front brakes aren't real strong, bleed them 3 times.  I'll be a Theilman on Saturday.  We can compare.

At the cabin I couldn't get up some of the hillclimbs I can do with some difficulty with the WR until I turned the the compression in 3 clicks front/rear.  The funny thing about the power is that on the 250 4-stroke when I lost momentum the motor  would die.  On the 250 2 stroke the motor doesn't die.  The tire just keeps spinning.  Also on the WR I rode up hill with my weight more neutral and depended on speed.  With the  2 stroke I have to keep weight over the front wheel or she'll wheelie all the way up, which makes turning difficult. 

I learned another reason not to go riding alone.  If your bike goes down a hill without you, it's nice to have someone to help untangle it from the trees.

Weather is looking good for next weekend.

Edited by toadl