what's the difference between a 2stroke & 4stroke

hey umm yeh i just wanted to know the difference between a 2stroke and 4stroke.coz like the only way i've been tellin the difference is if i see the fat pipe thing..on the side of the bike then i think its a 2stroke and yeah if i dont see it then i think itz a 4stroke..but i dont think thatz a good way to tell the difference so yeah just wanted to know the difference between the two. thanks :)

"what's the difference between a 2stroke & 4stroke"

FUN

2-stroke sounds like a chainsaw.

4-stroke sounds like a loud fart! :)

To make it very simple,a four stroke has cams,and valves,to get air-fuel in and exhaust out,it has a power stroke every 2 turns of crankshaft.

A 2 stroke uses ports (holes and passages in cylender and piston)to get air-fuel in and exhaust out it has a power stroke every turn of crankshaft.2 strokes burn a gas oil mix.

4 strokes have 4 strokes per cycle as opposed to and 2 cycles for a 2 stroke as follows:

FOUR STROKE ENGINE

1) Intake stroke

Piston moves down, intake valves open (via cam / valve train), air/fuel is sucked in.

2) Compression stroke

Intake valves close & piston moves back upward to compress air/fuel mixture. Just before the piston gets to the top, the spark plug fires and bombustion starts (burning air/fuel mixture).

3) Power Stroke

Expanding gasses from combustion drives the piston back downward.

4) Exhaust Stroke

Exhaust valves open, the piston moves back upward to push out the combustion byproducts (exhaust). After the exhaust stroke is finished, the intake stroke begins and so on.

TWO STROKE ENGINE

There are no cams or valves in a typical 2 stroke engine, which simplies things and saves weight. They fire the spark plug once every revolution where as 4 strokes fire the spark plug every other revolution as described above. 2 stroke engines also pressurize the crankcase through the combustion chamber to force air/fuel into the cylinder, thus requiring oil to be mixed with gasoline to lubricate the engine where as a 4 stroke combustion chamber is seperate from the crankcase which is lubricated with motor oil.

Rather than go on and on about this, check out these two link for details.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/two-stroke.htm

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/engine.htm

oh ok cool thanks for that..

Whats the difference between a 2 and 4-stroke engine?

2 Strokes

:D:)

ask RC :D

Ricky Carmichael :)

Whats the difference between a 2 and 4-stroke engine?

2 Strokes

:):D :D :D

Two-strokes suck!

Four-strokes truck!

Fryboy

What is this, an early attempt at an April fool's joke?

spud is a two stroke and e-wa is a four stroke

pp_fire I hear doesn't take any strokes

LOL!!!! :):D :D

Post deleted by ADAM_3rd

I thought this site was to learn :excuseme:if the guy is on the up and up this ought to be the place to find out about bikes.We all cant know everything.

I'm with sargentrab. :) You shouldn't be afraid to ask a question, even if someone else might think its a dumb one.

We've all had to start somewhere since we're not born with this knowledge and what might seem basic to some is new & exciting to others. It's always great to help someone because what goes around comes around at some point :)

We've all had to start somewhere since we're not born with this knowledge and what might seem basic to some is new & exciting to others. It's always great to help someone because what goes around comes around at some point :)

:D

Looks like nobody's with you adam3rd :)