Trail chainsaw opinions

I have traveled with many different size of chainsaws on a a rear rack and I finally settled on a small saw with good horsepower.  It was more expensive than I wanted but the top handle reduces the overall profile and it rips for a small saw especially at higher elevation.   The echo CS 355T.  I find that I carry it more often due to the smaller size and weight.  

IMG_0367.JPG

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Alright guys i decided to mock up a card board cut out of a front fork mount for my Stihl 015 i got. I normally put it in my back pack but it is tiring, and some of the front fender mounts I've seen are pretty slick. So anyway i got a "prototype" but I'm wondering how to mount it to the front forks. I got one of those yellow moto-crossers and i got my computer/ignition thingy right in the way to mount it right against the fork tubes. Meaning it sticks out past my fork tubes and my triple clamps. I don't really want to have my saw rack rubbing on that every time i turn my handle bars.

I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem? (probably not my bikes a suzuki) I looked very closely at the pictures on this thread but none of them really show the mounting points. So i was hoping you guys might have a thought on that. 

My idea is maybe weld on a bracket that i could bolt to my top triple clamps??? But I'm not sure if thats the answer. What do you think? 

Heres some pictures to take a look at my little problem. 

EA516B03-B31D-484B-BF9C-36D24B2F275C_zps

87FBECAB-4C6F-4D5F-8410-42C5905BA7D9_zps

86D64D7B-ADB4-4F79-8D7C-23BB6BD7A513_zps

B017141A-3ECF-442A-9CBA-8ABAF0720B05_zps

This last picture is were i was thinking of welding on a tab or bracket like inch or so wide and far enough back to bolt through both of my top triple clamps. 

Not sure if its a bad or good idea?

22D80E2A-7ED2-4F10-885A-5A9D0B753301_zps

...Not sure if its a bad or good idea?

Personally, I'd get some longer studs to replace those pinch bolts. Use a set of nuts to properly torque the fork clamps, then use a second set to mount your saw rack, like a jam nut. It will keep everything torqued correctly, and it will make install/removal a breeze. When I had mine mounted on my forks, I used that location as a mount. (That lasted for one ride and I relocated it to the rear. Hated it on the front!)

Is it possible to relocate that black box? Or just not worth it?

Is it possible to relocate that black box? Or just not worth it?

Cant really relocate the black box. its bolted to my frame and one of the bolts looks like its grounded. I thought about it more last night and i think I'm going to make a tab for my pinch bolts and also maybe a U bolt on the bottom. I going to make the U bolt just long enough and weld a nut on the back side of the saw rack on the U bolt to it can only get so tight. my thinking is less stress on my fork tubes. And to keep the bottom sliding around a bolt straight down into my fender. Really want to make this rack secure.

I'd get rid of the pink bar pad.....it might be causing issues :D

Good thing my moose hand guard ears are on or you might have seen the pink grips too! 

We have been building and riding with front mounts for a number of years and have always mounted the rack to the upper fork tube via hose clamps and have never had a failure as yet. Most have been made of Aluminum and utilize tubing cut in half to face the tube with inner tube to protect the tube. My last one which I made for my 09 YZ was made of plastic cutting board with slots cut for the clamps - I let it go with the bike when I sold it or I would put up a picture. The biggest thing about the mounts is to make sure you can secure it as solidly as possible, once they get to bouncing around they will come off. Normally there are two rubber bungees and a solid pin through the flat bottom part of the saw handle. The pin is used when things open up and speeds rise - when stopping and cutting numerous times the bungees work well enough. I also think the bottom plate should be perpendicular to the saw - not pointed down as in your picture. 

Make brackets to mount to the upper pinch bolts, add brackets to the bottom of the saw bracket to allow itt to rest on the bottom triple and add another bracket to bolt to that lower bolt hole.  Good luck. Troy341

Thanks for the pointers guys. i know the saw and the saw rack needs to be tight and well secure. its not pictured but i also wanted to weld some tabs around the saw so its own square to sit in so when i strap it down i got a little more piece of mind know its not going to move around when I'm riding. My rack isn't perpendicular for a reason. I'm thinking why not make it a little more useable if your going to have the weight on your front end anyway. 

this picture is another idea i had. make little wedges for the MSR bottle to sit in and hose clamp it down. not sure if 20oz or 30oz of gas is to much weight with the saw but just an idea i had. 

9E08D758-0514-43D0-9A13-EA8E6DFEF856_zps

I'd still make the mount fit the saw, then use hose clamps to hold the fuel bottle under the mount between the mount and fender. It wouldn't take much vibration for that saw to rub through the bottle.

Side note, the further you have extra weight out and away from your steering stem, the more you'll feel it. Maybe carry the fuel in a pack or make a rear mount for it?

• Like 1

The saw isn't touching the bottle but i do see your point. I think it might be to much weight. When i make my rack i might duck tape the bottle and try it in the driveway and test it out. Hopefully i can get this made this weekend but i gotta work saturday and sunday is Super Bowl. Well see. go hawks! lol

• Like 1

Thanks for the pointers guys. i know the saw and the saw rack needs to be tight and well secure. its not pictured but i also wanted to weld some tabs around the saw so its own square to sit in so when i strap it down i got a little more piece of mind know its not going to move around when I'm riding. My rack isn't perpendicular for a reason. I'm thinking why not make it a little more useable if your going to have the weight on your front end anyway. 

this picture is another idea i had. make little wedges for the MSR bottle to sit in and hose clamp it down. not sure if 20oz or 30oz of gas is to much weight with the saw but just an idea i had. 

9E08D758-0514-43D0-9A13-EA8E6DFEF856_zps

Take a look at this one. I've been using it for years, and it has been bullet proof.

http://www.forkrack.com/