How-to install Renthal grips?

Just wanted to see what you guys use for installing Renthal grips (medium). I know not to use contact cleaner (their warning) and tried some alcohol but they won't stop slipping with that.

I was able to get the clutch side on dry but no such luck on the throttle side. I've read about hairspray but wasn't sure if that would eat up the rubber like contact cleaner does.

Any suggestions?

usually you buy the Rental Grip Glue and use that to install the grips. i have heard and used hairspray on my mountain bike grips (same theory) and it does work good. it makes it nice and slick and goes on pretty easily. it does take quite a while for it to completely dry out though. Rental grip glue goes for bout 6 bux... thats what Rental recommends when installing their grips. ?

I use my air compressor to blow air under the grip as I put it on.Just enough to expand the grip. Dont go crazy with the air pressure or you will rip the grip. After I get the grip on I stick a tube of super glue under it and put a dab of glue under each grip, then use tie wire to finish it off. Never had any problems and the glue is dry before youre done putting the tie wire on ?

I use my air compressor to blow air under the grip as I put it on.Just enough to expand the grip. Dont go crazy with the air pressure or you will rip the grip. After I get the grip on I stick a tube of super glue under it and put a dab of glue under each grip, then use tie wire to finish it off. Never had any problems and the glue is dry before youre done putting the tie wire on ?

Very Good! Great comments above.

I prefer to use a compressor as well. A slight recommendation may be to use a specific grip glue as it is malleable, won't react with the grip rubber, and is easy to remove when changing grips.

Also, when using safety wire I like to make two wraps around the grip (instead of one) which holds it more securely and lessens the chance the wire will slice into the grip. Cut the twisted wire end to a length of about 1/4"-1/2" and stick the end into the rubber grip to eliminate puncturing your paw.

Since I believe a decent set of safety pliers is a worthwhile investment for any moto mechanic, below is a hyperlink to a site that offers many different models in all price ranges. Not certain if this is the best place to get them, but gives you an idea of what is on the market. Normal pliers will enable you to get the job done, but not as easily or clean.

http://www.themanmachines.com/p17-31483-safety-wire-pliers-with-longacre-wire-new.html

If you do not have an air compressor, apply glue on bar and slide grips on as fast as possible (pretend you have Popeye strength with a kung fu grip as the glue dries VERY fast). Follow this up with the aforementioned safety wire.

Other methods, most notably derived from bicycle mechanics,

use rubbing alcohol (isopropyl) generously or hairspray more sparingly to lube grip to slide on bar. Those combos then evaporate and lightly stick the grip to the bar.

BEWARE, if you attempt the bicycle method you must glue or safety wire! Otherwise, when the grips get wet (rain, puddles, water crossings, teary eyed losers) they will turn into a throttle of their own--most likely sliding off when you most need to hang on.

Hope this helps!

1) Take a Scotchbrite pad and scuff the area where the grip will go on the clutch side.

2) Drop a nickel in the end of each grip. (if no handguards.) The nickel will keep the end of the grip from ripping if you drop the bike.

3) Drizzle a little grip glue inside the grip; then spray a small amount of WD-40 inside, as well.

4) Slide grip on. Let dry overnight. SAFETY-WIRE WHEN DRY. ?

I'd drive without seat belts before I'd ride without safety-wired grips.

Also, when using safety wire I like to make two wraps around the grip (instead of one) which holds it more securely and lessens the chance the wire will slice into the grip. Cut the twisted wire end to a length of about 1/4"-1/2" and stick the end into the rubber grip to eliminate puncturing your paw.

Since I believe a decent set of safety pliers is a worthwhile investment for any moto mechanic, below is a hyperlink to a site that offers many different models in all price ranges. Not certain if this is the best place to get them, but gives you an idea of what is on the market. Normal pliers will enable you to get the job done, but not as easily or clean.

http://www.themanmachines.com/p17-31483-safety-wire-pliers-with-longacre-wire-new.html

If you do not have an air compressor, apply glue on bar and slide grips on as fast as possible (pretend you have Popeye strength with a kung fu grip as the glue dries VERY fast). Follow this up with the aforementioned safety wire.

I wanted to add that Harbor Freight has good safety wire pliers, and they can usually be had for less than $10 bucks on sale. In fact it looks like the 6" version is on for $4.50 right now. ?