Sign in to follow this  

Rekluse core exp 3.0

Main thing i see is that they have lightened it up, and provided better feel. seems that they may have done something to the acutal exp ring, but didnt say for sure

I actually spoke to them today about it.  I had a 2.0 in an 09 CRF450 and it was pretty cool.  Honestly for various reasons I did not have much more time on the bike after I installed it (Read: Divorce Situation), but I absolutely think its an excellent and unique performance mod overall.  In my opinion it does exactly what they claim it does.  

Now I was only scratching a curiosity itch today but basically EVERYTHING about the 3.0 version has been revised according to the rep I spoke with at Rekluse.  And for what it is worth....every single time I have spoken to them for ANY reason they provided some of the best technical support I could have asked for.  They have always returned my calls in a timely fashion if they were not avail at the moment and nothing ever seemed to be too much trouble.  They were very knowledgeable and willing to go the extra mile to help me. Some of the best customer service I have had in general.  And today's conversation was no different.

Regarding the Core EXP 3.0 it was mentioned to me that overall Oil Flow and Cooling have been significantly improved. He said that reports from some of the teams using the clutch indicate that overall engine temps are significantly lower with the clutch as the clutch is a real source of heat in general.  That helps with overall oil life and in the end engine durability...and perhaps performance.    The clutch durability, which was excellent before, has basically been increased considerably.  He said Factory Honda Japan MX1 Team is running them now and that they have approx 50 Supercross riders using their clutches in varying configurations.  They are kinda trying to become the "new" Hinson as I see it.  Mike Campbell was the rep I spoke with today and while of course he would like to sell me a clutch, I did not find him or any other Rekluse employee pushy or derogatory toward anybody else's product at any time. I know I sound all kinds of positive about the Rekluse, and no I do not yet have one in my 13.5 FE at this point, but I do honestly believe that most of us mortals would benefit for a Rekluse Clutch far more than spending the $$$ on a pipe....especially when we are talking about 13-14 450sx-f!  Oh yea...they offer a 30 day money back guarantee!  Dont dig it...pull it out and send it back.  I honestly cannot think of a single aftermarket company that will let you run their product for a month and than return it for a full refund if ya dont dig it.  That is win/win from what I can see.  

Sorry guys.  I just really think that not enough praise gets out when a company does the RIGHT things!  Seems guys always want to "shoot first and ask questions later" when they are unhappy with something or someone!  No I do not get anything from them!  LOL!  Not sponsored or anything like that, just have had a very positive experience with them in general and encourage guys to at least give the concept consideration with an open mind.  Customer service, 30 day trial period with money back guarantee, excellent technical support, and a high quality product that, at least IMHO, does exactly what it claims to do....improve bike and rider performance!  It is not just for off road....especially the CORE EXP system.   Oh yea, it felt exactly like the stock clutch when I had it in the Honda.  If I did not tell you it was there and you jumped on it not knowing...you could not tell by operating it except it would never stall, reduce engine breaking if you set it up that way, improve traction (again in my opinion).....bla bla bla!  Lol!  

Oh yea, one thing specifically about the KTM version....because their slave cylinder design differs a bit from the (Brembo?) stock unit...they claim that there is a more positive/cable type feel to their setup.  I can't say, but that is what they mentioned to my friend who spoke with them this afternoon.....who is now "pissed" at me because now he is gonna "HAVE TO" drop the $$$ on a Rekluse!  LOL!  

It is likely not for everyone, but anyone who doesn't at least give it a look is missing out!  Really!  Alright...I'll just STFU now!  Lol! 

PaulP

• Like 3

Whats actually changed??

The biggest change was going back to the 1.0 style Teflon wedges (no more ball bearings), The rest was weight reduction.  Neither should feel different.

As for any significantly increased cooling through better oil flow from the more open design claim... I'm skeptical at best. If it was a pressure fed system then sure, but its splash lubricated on a 6" diameter disc spinning at 500rpm (minimum). Opening up the pressure plate does not force more oil across the clutch plates.

here it is folks. should last a bit longer than the ball bearing design that after tons of hours, would wear the groove in the plate. Once the grove wore a bit and made a flat spot at the top, the device wouldn't disengage as designed.. also reduced stack height of your clutch pack, and it would slip and create heat. This exp3.0 looks AWESOME ! 

sl6f.jpg
13p5.jpg
f53c.jpg

here it is folks. should last a bit longer than the ball bearing design that after tons of hours, would wear the groove in the plate. Once the grove wore a bit and made a flat spot at the top, the device wouldn't disengage as designed.. also reduced stack height of your clutch pack, and it would slip and create heat. This exp3.0 looks AWESOME ! 

sl6f.jpg

That was the one downfall of the 2.0, though the bearings provide less friction. The outer travel stops are a better design on the 3.0 as well

What sucks for me is that I have a 2.0 I just finished machining custom wedges for, that i still havent installed (but bought 7-8 months ago)

rps20140115_214924_685_zpssfzix1dw.jpg

i got about 70 hours out of my 2.0 clutches (and i ride a lot, 20 hours a month so i replaced a few) woods racin. So there isn't really a loss to still having a good working 2.0, slap that thing in and ride. When it wears out, then worry about gettin the new one :) Many people don't ride 70 hours a YEAR..

Edited by MELK-MAN

For shits and giggles, I rode a 2013 Honda 450 with the 3.0....nothing felt and different and the clutch chatter was insane....

Considering I have a standard EXP ring in my 500exc with 200+hrs on it that works flawless......

sounds like it was not setup up properly.

Paul, I understand this too a tee. 99% of the problems that Rekluse hears about are related to installation problems, not the product itself. I have 3 bikes in my garage right now with Rekluse clutches, 2 being KTMs and one being a YZ. The KTMs haven't had any issues with my EXP ring pushing near 200hrs on my 500exc, from everything to DS to racing expert in GPs it has not once been a source of any issue. In fact I'm still on the original clutch with over 300hrs on the bike so far to date. I'm on my 5th Rekluse in my household and in all cases have hit the mark with installation but it is a known fact that some manufactures use substandard clutch components in there bikes.

So with all that being said, the guy who installed this Rekluse was a dealer himself, the 2nd highest selling Rekluse dealer in Western Canada besides Gnarly Parts. But Gnarly doesn't install them, he just sells them where are Geoff does a few installs a week during the busy season. I can guarantee the Rekluse on this 450 was installed correctly. It was also broken in properly too. I am by no means a special rider but at low RPM, low speed this Rekluse chattered hard and I would bet its related to the cast clutch basket. Again, this wasn't a squawk, but a very distinct chatter. We've see this time and time again on many of the Japanese bikes and a few GG too. The GG issues are more for there inconsistencies in quality control as some work great and others not so......The KTMs on the other hand use excellent components and in 95% of the cases have never had a issue when installed correctly. Both with the Z-start, EXP and CORE EXP.....

how bout the yz? any problems with that i just ordered one for my 09 yz250f just curious

how bout the yz? any problems with that i just ordered one for my 09 yz250f just curious

I installed the EXP ring on my dads 2010 YZ250f, been no issues to date. Him getting used to it has been the fun part though. 40yrs of riding and racing without one, then to put one in really made for some interesting moments. Especially when he shut the throttle off on a hill and instantly shot backwards, I still chuckle thinking about it!

But yes, the EXP has been working good on his bike and he's got about 35hrs into it so far. The real nice thing about the YZFs are that they are really torquey, so the Rekluse doesn't fell like it guts it too much. He's really like the way the bike climbs those real technical hills.

As for the YZ 2ts, we ran a EXP on my wife's 06 YZ 125 and she loved it. Her claiming it was the single best mod we made on that bike. We carried that mod to her KTM as I got the Rekluse for her bike for free(I sold a truck through my company and he had a Core EXP lying around).....My YZ 250 experience is limited but after the first ride I installed heavier wedges as I like instant engagement. I went out for 3hrs this weekend and other then adjusting my idle, the Rekluse worked excellent. All low RPM, low speed 1st/2nd gear stuff and she pulled really well...no chatter or squawking!

ok thanks good to hear i think 09 to 12 yzf 250 have same clutch and i only ordered exp 3.0 ring  so was curious how stock clutch components would handle it  appriciate the response  cant wait to try still bunch snow here in maine but they said it would take week or two before they had it to send out

the new 3.0 is light than the 2.0...I wonder if they will take a trade in, have a brand new 2.0 NIB but never got around to install it...

If i was serious about racing i would but its a leisure sport to me...

I remember when Al Youngwerth was on TT during his initial prototype testing, keeping us up to date on his issues, how he solved them and providing support to earlier adopters. His company hasn't changed. I have owned every generation and if there has been a problem Rekluse is quick to respond. I love the business model Al followed and feel good that the TT community is part of his success. Keep it going Al and Rekluse!

the new 3.0 is light than the 2.0...I wonder if they will take a trade in, have a brand new 2.0 NIB but never got around to install it...

If i was serious about racing i would but its a leisure sport to me...

The pressure plate and hub are up to 20% lighter, but:

1. Most of the weight is in the EXP disc and steel discs.

2. Considering the primary reduction ratio, the clutch spins 2.5-3x slower. The tiny weight reduction would be all but impossible to actually feel. 

The best part of the 3.0 should be the durability increase, the rest is marketing.

• Like 1

If you go the EXP route only, how many frictions and steel plates do you have to remove to make room for it?

• Like 1