XR400 kick stand problem.

Any one have problems with the kick stand mount weakening and leaving a crack on the frame??? My buddy had this problem and we are going to weld it back... His bike has always looked to lean weird on the kick stand, it swings way forward aswell. Almost lost it this weekend...

This is a trait of the XR400 when you kick start em on the stand. It's pretty common if you start your bike this way.(or the previous owner did)

I snaped mine right off. All you have to do is weld it in place. Just makes sure that the angle is correct before you weld it.

That is why I never stand on the bike with the kick stand down anymore :)

I just noticed this too. The paint on the weld is cracked so it looks like its a weak point. My buddy came over and said "wow, do all the kickstands stick out that far?"

A kick stand is only for support, as I cringe when I see people starting their bikes on it's side. Get a moto stand!

e941001.jpg

Corey, that looks like a porta potty......hmmmmm I think I'm onto something. Dual purpose stands. Use it for working on your bike, and use it for working after the cheez whiz! I can store it right next to my Pocket Fisherman, and the cans of Top Coverage. :)

The only problem I've had with the XR 400 kickstand is when one went through my foot like a harpoon from hell at the LA-B2V. :D Been on crutches since. I'm scheduled for more surgery next friday.

I say take 'em off! :)

Did you have a good set of boots on when the stand stuck your foot? I just winced when I read that! Hope you heal REAL soon!

Woodsy

Lookatdirt, how did that happen? I did not know the stand was a health issue.

Look will be back to tell you the story, but till then... someone stopped on the trail, he was riding in a dust cloud. Couldnt stop in time. He told the whole story, but I couldnt find it here.

That sounds nasty. Any photos?

The only problem I've had with the XR 400 kickstand is when one went through my foot like a harpoon from hell at the LA-B2V. :) Been on crutches since. I'm scheduled for more surgery next friday.

I say take 'em off! :D

I had this debate before with Dwight, but I have to agree, I say pitch the kick stand for anything more than casual riding.