Tell SPEED TV That Crashing Bites

Did you guys catch the crash video last night on Two Wheel Tuesday? I don't know about the rest of you, but IMO, crashing sux. I hate crash videos. I can see how NASCAR fans might enjoy all the crashes -- boring racing and lots of protection in the car to keep the injuries low. But on a dirtbike or streetbike, crashing really hurts. :)

Anyway, I sent an e-mail to Greg White asking them to skip the crash videos from now on. If you feel the same way, drop him a line. Thanks, -Mike-

TWT@SpeedTV.com

Ahh NO... Crashing is a part of racing. I accept it you should too. I would love to have video of my highside which resulted with a broken ankle and me getting knocked out. I wouldn't mind if other people saw it either. I look at crash footage pause it and slo mo just to see what the rider did wrong and what I could do not to make his mistake.

simply crashing is part of the drama of racing which can be tragic at times.

Yea crashing does suk but i agree with the creep, it comes with ridin and racing if its something you cant deal with than maybe riding and racing isnt your cup of tea. Some of the best memories of my riding have been coming through a gnarly one with out a scratch or seeing a buddy do the same :)

Like the old saying goes: There are only 2 kinds of bikers. The ones who have been down and the ones who are gonna go down. We don't need to sugar coat it for TV so that people think it doesn't hurt to ride sometimes. I'm the same way about crashes in that I wish some of mine were on video so I could figure out what happened. :)

I didnt know Speed had a crash show, I guess I would have to watch Speed to know that.

I no longer look to Speed for motorcycle coverage, except Paris-Dakar, since they made Moto-Tuesday 99% GP coverage, and moved it to 10:30pm. I used to catch it after dinner, with my family.

Speed Channel executives should be made to carry around a small shrub. People that stupid need to leave the oxygen around them for more sentient life forms.

Robert :)

Speed Channel executives should be made to carry around a small shrub. People that stupid need to leave the oxygen around them for more sentient life forms.

I don't often applaud quotes but that one deserves :jawdrop::):jawdrop::D :D :D :D :D :D :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa::lol::jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

I look at crash footage pause it and slo mo just to see what the rider did wrong and what I could do not to make his mistake.

Okay, you guys have a good point there. I have a similar philosophy about "learn from your mistakes and the mistakes of others."

So a better version of the crash video would be one where you see the start of the crash and why it happened, but it stops right before any impact. That way you can learn from what happened without having to see the bones breaking. Like, they could stop Bubba's SX endo crash right before he hits the ground, so we don't see his collarbone snapping. I don't mind the 10mph tipover at the end of Mladdin's Superbike crash video though -- it shows how you can save a 190mph rear tire blowout and only tip over in the grass at the end. Amazing.

So crash videos can be okay as long as they don't show the impacts at the end. That way you learn, and don't cater to the sadists who like the "ouch" part of the crashes. :)

i think that if they did that they'd be protecting YOU from whatever it is YOU don't like about watching crashes. but then there is everybody else. what about people like me who aren't bothered by crash footage.. people who are actually more bothered by people editing out the crash footage because people like you don't like to watch it? does anybody else think that the whole sanitization thing is getting a bit stupid?

take supercross for instance. part of the draw is the danger. it really is insanely dangerous and crashes happen constantly and those crashes are a genuin part of the sport as much as anything else. now why, then, later when the event is broadcast, does something that is such a large and inegral part of supercross racing as crashes are have to be removed or treated any differently than the rest of the footage?

it's like televising golf and editing out the shot that unexpectedly veered off into the water hazard (haha HAZARD.. golf.. that in itself is FUNNY) or a sand trap. we should televise the rewards and not the pitfalls of the sport? wouldn't that give a rather skewed perspective to never see the dues these guys pay to be at the top of the sport?

man how many firggin questions did i just ask? whew. sorry bout that.

i say air everything, the successes and the failures. the glory and the bitter agony. the heroism and the twisted flesh and metal debris. and Speed Channel does quite enough tippy toe-ing around as it is.. everybody does these days.

:)

It's not like ABC never showed a guy falling off a ski jump or anything(Remember the agony of defeat?) I think it helps prevent accidents. Subconciously, it's still in the back of your mind while your riding. :)

I love watching crash videos! I dont like watching people get hurt though. Like those skate boarders that fall and break their arms...I hate that stuff!

I like watching crash videos of car and motorcycle races. I like to see how the rider / driver handles it, how they try to correct it, at what point they made that fatal error, at what point they just accepted the fact that they were doomed.

I basically like analyzing it, breaking it down. You can learn a lot from watching crash videos. If you pay attention and watch the mechanics of the crash it will help you... no one likes geting hurt and the segment you were referring to was no big deal. They did not show any crashes where anyone got seriously injured. Look at the video of Maladin (sp)when his tire blew up at 180 MPH!! He crashed but you know what, he did an outstanding job of keeping his composure, slowing down, getting out of the way, etc before he crashed.....good stuff!

They did not show Kato get killed, or anything like so your complaint is not a valid one, at all. I think I will send Mr White a message...to keep those crash videos comming!!!! :)

I agree, I don't like crashes. I don't like to watch crashes. I understand it is a part of riding, racing... just not a part I like. Most good things have some sort of down side. I don't get off on others misfortune or pain.

I do find the smaller biffs in life funny and I don't really mind it when it was a result of the persons stupidity. The chubby lady with no helmet doing the flying W - Superman - Kiss Of Death on the old KX is my favorite.

We have an expression - there is Fallin Down and Crashing.

Falling Down is funny and you get back up.

Crashing isn't funny and hurts.

damnit. dave mathews song stuck in my head now.

"craaaaaaaash into meeee.." :) <-those z's are music.

I do not believe they should use crashes and injuries on shows like ABC, NBC, or any other station that is doing an

"interview" with a racer.

When they interviewed Bartram and RC, that flat out asked RC if he would do anything to win. While RC didn't say "anything", he said, 'if it takes a little rubbing to get the job done, then yeah'. That makes us all look like a bunch of idiots.

BUT, for racers, I don't mind em. I LOVE em if I know the guy got up and walked away, or at the very least, did not have any major injuries.

I know I WISH someone would have been able to video tape me going nose into the step up that broke my shoulder and caused me to lose the end of my pinky finger.....

I would rather watch a good race over a "great crash" any day. I am sure most of us would. But of course I would love to have my crashes on tape (my Moms nightmares I can't see) :).

Travis

I would rather watch a good race over a "great crash" any day. I am sure most of us would. But of course I would love to have my crashes on tape (my Moms nightmares I can't see) :D.

Travis

Some of the best races I've seen had crashes involed....take Curtis Roberts and Miladin....they were gooing at it until CR went too hot into a corner and low sided and parked his ride on the fence like he meant to do it.....Like Pee Wee herman in his movie when he qouted after crashing "I meant to do that" Pee wee and Curtis Roberts..maybe the next Abott and Costelo. How bout the Langston chop at A1? I would hate to see race coverage get too pc....just imagine to guys go into a corner hot and neck n neck...then it cuts to little pink bunnies flopping around then back to one guy exiting the corner. :)

little pink PLayboy bunnies?? :)

now that i wouldn't mind AS much. :D good thinkin