DRZ overweight?

I hear alot about the DRZ400 being overweight. The "S" even more so.

Anyone know where that weight is located?

I can see stock exhaust, but all stock pipes are heavy.

Steel tank, ok.

Do many DRZ parts weigh more than the same thing from another brand?

What kind of weight reduction can I expect on an S?

What do you think it should weigh? Be realistic.

Engine and frame design. That is where the weight is. My Kicker is 160lbs.

Plastic tank, no DS stuff, no battery or starter. It is HEAVY. Swingarm is heavy, ..lots of little things add up.

the weight of the DRZ is a common question and concern. To me it's all realative to your riding style and experience; I come from a KLR and then an XR650L that I regularly rode two-track and single track on and to me, the DRZ is a nimble butterfly compared to either of those pigs - especially the KLR

My Kicker is 160lbs.

:)

I think he meant 260... :):D

I thought, maybe he took his motor out :)

I've only had one other dp bike and I don't think it was as light as the DRZ400s so I'm very happy with the weight.

I need the street stuff and will never do without the magic button again.

Since there really are no other bikes in this class I don't have anything to compare it to.

I can't see where the frame could lose much weight. Al subframe and swingarm. The motor doesn't look bulky to me and I wouldn't think Yosh would design a flabby motor.

Anyone know what a WR450 weighs? How much would street equipment add?

I got tired of waiting for Honda to build a CRF450L. :)

I got tired of waiting for Honda to build a CRF450L.

I think that as long as Honda makes the XR650L, you won't see a CRF450L :)

Hehehe :) Just seein if you were paying attention :D

The motor is quite heavy. Take a look at that bottom end. It is big and heavy! The engine has a counterbalancer, which adds weight, but it is worth it. I love the smoothness.

Replacing the stock pipe and removing perhaps another 15 pounds of turn signals, bar end weights, passenger footpegs, emmissions crap, the horn (that thing is heavy!) made a very noticible difference in how the bike feels.

The horn is a good one though, it has taken up residence on my TL1000. That thing had a weak horn. I could hardly hear it over it's Yosh exhaust :)

I bought an 03 KLR400R and yes it does weigh more than the other bike, KTM 450EXC, I was considering. However, it holds twice the coolant and twice the oil which was important to me for dual sporting. Also, I liked having certain things like an over flow coolant bottle,a key (since I made my bike street legal with a kit from J-Gear), and a larger battery. The KLR weighs a bit more than my previous bike, XR400, but when one factors in the electric start and water cooling I think they are both the same. The XR was very durable and I think the KLR will be too.

all four strokes are heavy!even the lightest four stroke is heavier than my rm250.people place way to much emphasis on weight. :)

I only really notice it when I crashs on a steep hill and have to do some man handleing, but then again I`m not hitting big jumps, but the power makes up for the slight weight difference. :)

If I remember right,(and looking at my sig.) I was able to shave about 20#. However my bike is no longer street legal unless I bolt the rear fender/light asm. back on.

Gone:

stock bars and bar ends (now alum)

front signals

rear lights(all)

helmet lock

rear pegs

CA smog can and parts

steel tank (now plastic Clarke)

chain guard

mirrors

rubber in foot pegs

kick stand safety switch

clutch safety switch

and the most important, heaviest piece of all; that little piece of plastic on the muffler :)

the horn (that thing is heavy! :)

:D I love beeping my horn at other riders on the trail when I want to go past. :D

Nothing is worse than getting passed by a bike with a horn!

Mike

I bought an 03 KLR400R and yes it does weigh more than the other bike, KTM 450EXC, I was considering. However, it holds twice the coolant and twice the oil which was important to me for dual sporting. Also, I liked having certain things like an over flow coolant bottle,a key (since I made my bike street legal with a kit from J-Gear), and a larger battery. The KLR weighs a bit more than my previous bike, XR400, but when one factors in the electric start and water cooling I think they are both the same. The XR was very durable and I think the KLR will be too.

This is a very astute and well thought out remark. :)

The KTM's are race bikes and even though many people dual sport them as I have with mine doesn't mean that they are great dual sport bikes. I still think that the DRZS and KLR's are the best off-the-shelf dual sport bikes you can buy. The DRZE and XR400 also make very good dual sport bikes. It is all about comprimise. When I got my KTM I comprimised the other way. I wanted mostly a race bike that I could take on the street once in awhile. But, for longer distances, ease of maintenance, durability, et cetera, you can't beat the DRZS.

The problem I had with my DRZS was that I found myself wanting to ride it more like a race bike. Well, of course it wasn't going to be on par with my KTM or even my WR400 for that matter so I sold it. Now, I could kick myself in the arse for doing that. I have a race bike! What I don't have is a really good dual sport bike. My KTM is an ok dual sport bike but not a really good one like the DRZS for the reasons that I mentioned. Bikes are like tools. You need the right tool for the intended job. As for the weight, yeah, a dual sport bike is going to be heavier but get over it! It needs to be to carry the extra fluids for the extra duty of dual sporting. As for the DRZE, there are lots of guys on this forum who ride them and kick ass on them. I am an older rider so the weight gets to me a little more than it used to. So, I do appreciate the lighter feel of the KTM. It will be nice when Suzuki finally gets their act together and produces a lighter 450 off-road bike. But just remember this, when they do, it will be a comprimise bike. It will carry less oil, less radiator fluid, and so on. It will be good for maybe a 100 miles or so before a service is required. It will probably need some top end work done within 200 hours or less. That is the price you will pay for a true competition 4 stroke. Or, you could just ride your DRZE/DRZS and appreciate what it is and what you can do with it. Just some things to think about.

:D

Paul

I've been a very staunch supporter of the DRZ. I recently bought a KTM 520 and thought I was riding a bike that literally weighed 40 lbs less. It feels that much lighter.

I still like the DRZ a ton and think it is an all-around great bike.....just 30lbs too much bike.The DRZ is a a great bike in the rocks.

Great comment paul, thanks for that. So.....now there is only one question left, and all the DRZ world is waiting and wants to know... Are you gonna keep the pumpkin? :)

200 hours to a service??, 100 mile range?? dump that trophy hog.. come back to fold. You can do it. We're here for ya buddy. Join KTM anomnymus.....admit your mistake to a higher authority.. ..... rub your ruby slippers together and say again " there's no place like home on my DRZ there's no place like Home on my DRZ. :D

Here is how I look at the issue of weight with the DRZ:

Yes, the DRZ weighs too much. It's design is old. But, as far as weight and it's ability to handle terrain, track or trail weight is not the problem. The stock suspension is designed to be cost effective and market-centered. If you, as a rider, are aggressive at whatever type riding you do the stock suspension can not compensate for the the weight of the DRZ.

So, as I see it, the problem lies in improperly setup (stock or otherwise) suspensions and not the weight.

My $0.02,

Kit

I agree with burned, too much emphasis put on bike weight.

Bite the Bullet and start doing some type of regular exercise. If you already do, do more.

This will make a HUGE difference in how both you and your bike perform. A few days per week I use an elliptical trainer and after one month I have lost weight and no doubt have gained strength throughout my body.

I think I will stick with it, the results seem to be keeping me motivated :)