Sign in to follow this  

Which stage Hot Cam would be best for a bike with luggage, 7.5 gal tank, 200lb rider, and 41 tooth rear sprocket?

Why's that? I ride 90% street 10% dirt which is easy low speed stuff in which the bike never lets me down but it does feel very underpowered on the street hauling my heavy ass and extra gas and luggage from stop light to stop light and on the freeway too.

It was my understanding that stage one cams make the power increase in the low to mid range, which works better for offroad riding. Stage two puts the power increase in the mid to high range, better for street obviously.

Having said that it really depends on what you prefer and where you think you need it, I haven't ridden a DRZ with a 41 tooth rear sprocket to know what it's like. In my opinion, I would still do stage two as with the 41 on the rear and all the weight you are carrying, you are still probably cruising in the middle of the rev range while on the road, if not high than that and the stage two cams work best in that rev range.

Yeah, I normally would think stage 2 as well but am just not sure since I've lost so much low end with the 41 tooth sprocket and extra weight so I've beebn wondering if stage 1 would be better then even though I rider mostly street.

I also thought about getting stage 2,  cause you would think more top speed,  but the stage 1's power is great,   it gets you up to speed much quicker,  i spoke to a guy that had the stage 1 on his bike and the stage 2 on another DRZ,  and he prefered stage 1,      the hot cams made a real good performance difference on my bike,  worth every penny.

The new stage 1 and stage 2 cams are different from the old stage 1 and 2 cams. 

The new stage 1 cams are very similar to stock S and SM cams.

The new stage 2 cams are similar to the old stage 1 cams like 150ron has. Just a little bit bigger than the E/K cams

The old stage 2 cams were a lot more top end oriented but are now discontinued.

I just put in the new stage 2 cams and I am very happy with them. No loss of low end torque but the mid and top end is stronger.

Not much advantage in putting in the new stage 1 cams, pretty close to stock S/SM cams.

(Edited to add reference to E/K cams)

Edited by carbon_unit
  • Like 1

with all the confusion on stages: get the ones that have timing and lift specs close to the E/kick cams (or good used e/k cams)

Contact Eddie at SSW and get him to grind you up some decent cams...IMO Hotcams are getting pretty soft nowadays....

If you want to stay with stock bore, increasing the compression would be another good idea to boost performance