What JD needle, clip position, and main jet for 04

thanks....i am guessing like the instructions say but since the stock main is a 165, the 178 seems like a big jump.

red needle

5th clip position

178 main

fuel screw 1.25 turns out

sound good? i am in san antonio, tx. so i fit in the sea level to 3000' category.

I tried it per the instructions and it was very nice. The throttle response will leave an impression as will corner entry speed.

If you are below 65, the blue needle is supposed to be better. That is what I have in mine right now with the 180 main. It's kind of a pain to swap needles the morning of a race, but you do what you have to.

yes, it is definitely below 65 here but i will probably not ride this month...or next. should be warmer by the time i ride. but i may just put the blue #3 (or 4) in for now as i may just ride the end of this month.

It is a very easy install. Knowing what I know now, I would just wait until your sure what the temp is going to be to do the install. If you luck is like mine, you will end up having to change it like I did last weekend. I had the blue set up in and it was 80 on Friday and Saturday. Had to change it. Then the cold front came through late Saturday night and had to swap it again Sunday morning. If I had just waited, I would have saved myself one change.

i see you have aftermarket stainless valves. how much did they run you and did you install them? i am considering doing this before i ride as preventive maintenance.

It is a very easy install. Knowing what I know now, I would just wait until your sure what the temp is going to be to do the install. If you luck is like mine, you will end up having to change it like I did last weekend. I had the blue set up in and it was 80 on Friday and Saturday. Had to change it. Then the cold front came through late Saturday night and had to swap it again Sunday morning. If I had just waited, I would have saved myself one change.

i will probably do this. but it isnt likely that we will see 80* again until after february. where do you ride up there? i like the nocona track and mosier. dont like the VC nite track much. i have not been to badlands yet. would like to. what else is up there that is worth the drive? swan for sure, but they dont have open practices. hows the weatherford track?

i wouldnt worry about the aftermarket valves... I have yet to even have the cover pulled off my 02 to check the valves. Bike has 2 seasons of hare scrambles & tons of MOTOX ..still starts easy & runs like a champ... but then i change my air filter every ride & oil & filter often too.

Having said that i think i am going have Don help me do a top end soon just to check things out after 28 months of moto on the bike :) but no rush to do it

As the JD jettin kit goes.. i dont have it but here good things about it .. one thing to remember is ( keith ran into this) that since we are in lovely south texas we change temps alot ... can be 40 at 9am when track opens & 75-80ish by noon ... granted this only occurs n the winter & it sound like you might not ride till march... just something to ponder...

good points. but each bike is different. i may just go ahead with the red #5 like the instructions say and see where that gets me. thanks.

Fulltilt3,

How do you like your 22mm tripleclamps, as opposed to 20mm? I went with the 22mm, but haven't gotten them in yet. Everyone here at the local SoCal tracks are saying I should have gone with the 20mm. Just wanted ur opinion, since that's what ur riding.

davbrucas,

$233 after discount. I haven't installed them yet, picked them up last night. I've ridden Nocona and VC and that's it. I do mainly cross country and enduros.

funchaser400,

They turn like you wouldn't believe compared to stock. Isn't the 20 more aggressive? The rear of the bike is very twitchy with these clamps whereas it was not at all with the stock. No problems turning though.

good points. but each bike is different. i may just go ahead with the red #5 like the instructions say and see where that gets me. thanks.

BOY....you shoulda asked me....the reason you go so much bigger on the main is because the needle is different. By the time the throttle is fully open, the new needle flows approximately as much fuel using the bigger main, as the old needle does using a smaller main. See what I mean?

Go with the red needle, 5th clip, 178 main. Ride it. :)

I second that. I rode in the Cali desert over the holidays. The temps ranged from 45-65, elevation 2000-3000 approx and one day it rained the next it was dry. I run the red needle 5th clip position with a 178 main and it ran like raped ape!! Thanks rapture man for bringing up the Airbox mod from FFR what a difference.

davbrucas, the two common denominators that DLR has seen in his repairs of the valve issue is : 1)poor filter cleaning/maintenence (so much so that the carb slide has dirt on it) and 2)keeping the bike on the rev limiter.

Fuel for thought.

davbrucas, the two common denominators that DLR has seen in his repairs of the valve issue is : 1)poor filter cleaning/maintenence (so much so that the carb slide has dirt on it) and 2)keeping the bike on the rev limiter.

Fuel for thought.

Yep. I keep my filter clean, and even though I dog my engine, I do NOT over-rev it...ZERO valve clearance issues.

Like many others have said, dirt is a MAJOR factor in this.