Sign in to follow this  

Does having an FI bike make kick starting a thumper any easier?

Considering buying a used FI Kawi or Suzuki and having never owned an FI bike have a few questions.  First off I have never owned a FI bike but from what I read people are loving them.  My last couple bikes were both KTM's.  An 08 530XC-W and an 09 250SXF.  One thing I loved about the 530 was that magic E button.  Loved that thing.  But problem is you can't buy a FI KTM in my budget for under $4500 or so.  I know I can get a 2010 Kawi or Suzuki for under that with FI.  One of the things I have not loved is how hard these thumpers can be to start up once their hot.  Even with a Hot Start they can be a bear.  And if you have been riding hard or get into a technical situation where you have to kick start the bike it can really suck.  So I was wondering if the bikes now with FI are any easier to start by kick starting now?  I'm sure I'm gonna get people to say "Man UP" but I'm getting to old to be kicking a bike for 2 minutes to get it to fire up.  So basically are these FI bikes worth it or do I just stay with a KTM with the Magic E button.  And why don't they put Estart on the other Jap bikes?  All info appreciated..

not every bike acts similar, but in general FI bikes don't stall as easy

as carb bikes when you hit the ground. most often motor keeps running, at

least for a few seconds until tip over sensor has to kill it.

after that you don't have a flooded carb, which makes FI bikes easy to restart...

There is absolutely no correlation between 'easy to start' and FI or Carb.

It's all about how the bike is set up.

No stock bike is set up to it's potential for great running and great starting. Some are better than others.

ALL must be re-jetted or re-mapped for best results.

The KX450F has been the best without mods now for 4 years.

The Suzuki has been the worst.

Top end maintenance, Valve adjustments, nozzle / pump / filter maintenance / gas treating is all a requirement for either FI or carb'd bikes to stay running and starting well, period.

just my own experience, I recently bought a '12 yz450f thinking with FI it'd be easier to hard if I ever stalled, its starts easy cold 1-2 kicks and it'll fire but if I stall mid moto I still have to find neutral and it is a challenge to get it going again

My 2008 KX250f starts first or second kick hot or cold. Never had a problem. My buddies 2012 usually starts about the same. Properly set up either should start easily. The EFI revs out quicker and pulls harder than the 2008.

My rmz 250 is an absolute gem too start when cold but a bit of a turd when hot!

Checked all the obvious and just decided to live with it as I think there's no answer to some bikes starting issues.

My knee is not enjoying kick starting though so next year I'm gonna get me an e start bike. Ktm or new husky.

My 13 kx 450 is the best starting 4 stroke I've ever owned( first fi). It will start in gear one kick once its warm every time.

Not sure about carbed bikes, but my '12 RMZ450 starts in two to four kicks cold and one or two hot. Seems the hot start doesn't do too much. Kind of a nuisance when you go to give it the good downward kick and if you blip the throttle, at least for me, it won't even sound like it'll start.

Get a two stroke. Much easier lol.

What are you guy's techniques to starting? I'm not sure if I'm making it harder for myself, but I push the kickstart down till it clicks and it has full compression and then jump on it. Kinda sucks to do since I'm not tall enough to have both feet planted, so I have to balance the bike wherever it is, and kick down. Any easier way to start it? It's easy to start number of kicks wise, just the kicks are a lot especially when you have to balance the bike without falling over. Maybe I need a lowering link or something.