Sign in to follow this  

Would you trade your XR in for a...

CRF450L?  (If it existed...)

I'd love to see a bike with the exact same looks and features of the CRF250L, except a 450.

I'd trade my XR650L in the day it came out.

Anyone else?

A CRF450L built on the same footprint as the CRF250L would be a turd. It would be heavier and less reliable than the current XRL. Water cooling and fuel injection always adds lard. I'd pass...

• Like 1

A CRF450L built on the same footprint as the CRF250L would be a turd. It would be heavier and less reliable than the current XRL. Water cooling and fuel injection always adds lard. I'd pass...

Could not agree more, I'll pass on water cooling and additional weight.  I stopped by the Harley dealership the other day (it is near my place of employment) to look around and the sales man looked at my bike and asked if I was trading in my XR, the first words out of my mouth were "**LL NO!".  He had the look of surprise, as if whatever I might buy in his dealership would just be a passing phase (I did not buy a bike).  The beauty of the XR is the KISS principle...

Could not agree more, I'll pass on water cooling and additional weight.  I stopped by the Harley dealership the other day (it is near my place of employment) to look around and the sales man looked at my bike and asked if I was trading in my XR, the first words out of my mouth were "**LL NO!".  He had the look of surprise, as if whatever I might buy in his dealership would just be a passing phase (I did not buy a bike).  The beauty of the XR is the KISS principle...

absolutely!

Nope..Too much maintenance on 450s or any modern high horsepower CRF.,,.I'd be spitting tacks having to do Pistons/Rings/Valves

after a few thousand k,,,KISS rules..Just not low maintenance enough for high mileage road/dirt work..I want a piston and rings to last at least 20000k.

CRFs are ok for enduro etc,,no good for road work imo due to short internals life..

Edited by Horri
  • Like 1

Now, an XR400 engine in a CRF-esque frame... I'd buy!

Yep... I'd be in line right behind you. Strange that they haven't done something like that.

I'd rather have a 650/600 air cooled engine in the CRF-esque frame of course also with the FCR carb and proper exhaust..

None of those gigantic semi road bike mufflers they stick on 650/600..400s a bit gutless for road work..but that's just me.

Dunno what's with Honda..they'd sell a bomb of a properly set up 600/650 dualsport..They seem to go to far one way or not

far enough the other..Their inbetween just isn't mine..it's either to dirt or to road..

Edited by Horri

To original Poster (OP)

in a word,

No.

There is nothing wrong with air cooled motorcycles! really, in the big scheme of things.  The only time you would buy an water cooled, fuel injected massive horse powered behemoth of a motorcycle is if you are happy paying someone else exorbitant prices to plug in a computer and tell you the side stand switch is faulty and charge you your right arm and 1/2 of your left testical. OR you race and what or have companies to back you...    

Don't do it, I've resisted the temptation (not that it's that hard).

I can still call myself crazy as a starved cut cat in a canary cage on a bike, and I like to think I can still ride my "carbureted air behemoths" reasonably well against anyone in anything anywhere that has corners and control.  Of course a straight line is pure power and you can't been techno stuff for power ;-) 

And after all that is done and dusted at the end of an awesome day of riding motorcycles, you sit around telling yarns about some other bullshit and everyone is grinning because you are all enjoying the process and experience, ie same fun... On any bike :-)

plus it's easy to fix old stuff, yeah thats me.

Edited by stevodude
  • Like 1

As long as the engines are using a piston connected to a rod that turns the whole works, 450cc will never equal 650cc in terms of practicality for real world use.

The XR650L is the best deal going for an off road capable dual purpose motorcycle that can cover long distances at high speeds, and it has been around long enough that any and all issues are well documented and easy to find online, which in itself is a huge assest.

The  DR and KLR offer less off road capable platforms in the same price range for those who aren't as interested in as much off road riding. For all the people who keep wanting a light weight, water cooled, fuel injected bike, KTM already makes those, except those people keep wanting something for nothing and cry about the price.

The CRF250L is more suited for paved urban travel than off road. Even most of the pictures on the Honda site show it being used on pavement, because that is what they are marketed towards.

I'll keep riding the XR650L as long as I can. Even if I won some newer, fancier, bike in a raffle or something, I would sell it and use the money to take an awesome trip on my XR.

• Like 1

I'd trade my 600R for a 650R and that's it, I still regret selling my 2000 650R many years ago.

I have a couple of CRF's and they are no good for dualsport, WAY too finely honed for street miles.

A CRF-L is pointless for experienced riders, they are nutless. Might as well buy a Vespa.

My XR600 is now the red headed stepchild since I picked up a Beta 520RS.  The only significant down side so far is long distance comfort.  The seat is like a 2x4.   It will never last like my XR though. 

Edited by cleonard

I would stand in line for an updated XRL........

Slightly increased the power with a better combustion chamber design and slightly higher compression..

Put newer suspension components on it..USD`s set up for a little more weight..

4 gallon tank

FCR pumper carb

oil cooler,,the DR650 has one..

The rest is good as is,,don`t make it heavier,,maybe led lights and a few other trick components to drop as much weight as possible without making it unreliable..

The XRL is a great bike......a 1/2 resonable attempt at an update would see alot of sales if Honda could keep the price resonable,,alot of people love Honda bikes,but moved on for something with newer tech

I would stand in line for an updated XRL........

Slightly increased the power with a better combustion chamber design and slightly higher compression..

Put newer suspension components on it..USD`s set up for a little more weight..

4 gallon tank

FCR pumper carb

oil cooler,,the DR650 has one..

The rest is good as is,,don`t make it heavier,,maybe led lights and a few other trick components to drop as much weight as possible without making it unreliable..

The XRL is a great bike......a 1/2 resonable attempt at an update would see alot of sales if Honda could keep the price resonable,,alot of people love Honda bikes,but moved on for something with newer tech

On the oil cooler point... does the fact that the XR has oil-in-frame not give it in essence an oil cooler ?

Maybe not as efficient as a dedicated cooler but better than a standard (non-cooler) wet sump set-up would be I would think. 

The DR650 has that too.plus an oil cooler.....point being,on the highway for long runs these bikes hit seriously high temps,,oil up to 300 degrees.these ebgines run too hot can drop valve seats,nuking the engine if over heated........keeping the stock tank with elephant ears thsat force air into the engine helps,,put an oversize tank on the bike,loose the air scoops,,ride on the highway for long periods and the oil temp is scary high..

not enough air flow arround the downtube,no fins......not an effecient cooler......

They felt the xr400r needed an oil cooler,,,the DR650 has one........Honda in their wisdom cheaped out and chose stupid scoops on the tank,,apposed to a real fix,an oil cooler..

you put an oil cooler on,,the first thing you notice is about a 25-30 degree drop in oil temp...

The second thing you notice is you can actually get to the 2k oil change mark Honda states with the oil still fairly golden colored instead of 800 miles and black.....

Regular oil degrades at those high temps,synthetic is good for those temps........but won`t stop nuking valve seats,,we see it here every year......someone posts with a weird noise.....running hot and riding hard,,then the noise started,,they sometimes get lucky and don`t have the seat beak and stick in the piston,sometimes :lol:

B

Edited by brianhare

Back to basics Honda! Crf type frame, air cooled thumper. Done. All i want is a reliable, street legal platform with modern dirtbike suspension and a motor that can scare me and go 3000 miles between oil changes. I dont give a f#$& what idea or platform they start with as long as they build a bike worth supporting 30 years from now! Wow! I feel better now. Thanks for listening to my rant, im just pissed because i had to spend the money i saved for a baja designs dual sport kit on a new toilet..... bullshit!

Regular oil degrades at those high temps,synthetic is good for those temps........but won`t stop nuking valve seats,,we see it here every year......someone posts with a weird noise.....running hot and riding hard,,then the noise started,,they sometimes get lucky and don`t have the seat beak and stick in the piston,sometimes :lol:

I have two heads with seats that are loose.  With luck I made it back to the truck both times.  My issue was that I was riding the XR600 in places where it really didn't have business being.  I was spending more and more time on extremely difficult slow going first gear with clutching trails.  Extreme heat became my norm and I paid the price for it.  Sure an oil cooler would have helped, but I'm sure that I would still had the same end result.  I needed water cooling.  I was planning on a 650R, but I circumstances allowed for a new bike instead.

I plan on a refurb project on the ole 600 and I limit it to operation that it is more suited for.  I'll just leave the crazy goat trails for the other bike. 

Sure an oil cooler would have helped, but I'm sure that I would still had the same end result.  

I have seen a stunt rider's nx650 with an oil cooler and a fan installed on the engine   :D

He still manages to heat it up to 300°F sometimes, but he said it helped a lot. It's a big fan

Edited by MCVL

All the people for liquid cooled bikes must have never seen one puking its guts out on a trail, leaving the rider to figure out how to get enough water back in it to ride out.

There are several manufacturers that have recently developed all new air cooled engines and they are using F.I.. If Honda designed an all new air cooled engine with F.I., I'd be for it, especially if they used screw/nut adjustable roller rockers. At least F.I. will cut out the people selling junked bikes that "just need the carb cleaned." People won't buy a junked bike they know without a doubt needs expensive F.I. parts.

One huge thing that has already been forgotten about by the fashion crowd is the XR650L A Loop Kit, but I guess that crowd is never happy when they get what they want, because they don't have anything to complain about anymore.

XR650L-side-2-minimed.jpg

http://www.aloop.com/product_nav_1.htm