Michelin S-12 vs Maxis IT

I had been running the M-12 front and rear and happy with the tires. Once it was time for a new rear I swithced to the Maxis IT because of the good reports here on TT. The tire hooked up well and wore like iron but it felt tall and heavy. The new S-12's showed up yesterday, and I did some comparisons. On the rim with air the S-12 is allmost an inch shorter. This was a bonus, my WR being a tall bike, this will lower the rear 1/2 inch. I weighed both tires on a cheap bathroom scale (not very accurate at lower weights) and S-12 was 10 lbs., Maxis was 16 lbs. These #'s are probably not very accurate but on the scale and by feel the Maxis is much heavier. With the switch of a tire I get a lower rear end, save several lbs. and should also get a much quicker reacting rear suspension. I am happy. :)

Not to mention that the S-12's have awesome hook up in mud and sand yet work fine on harder terrain and dont chunk on rocks! They are the best. :)

Good info, I had been looking at the Maxxis IT, I may have to look at the S-12, thanks. :)

yeah, it's hard to find something bad to say about the S12. they work awesome everywhere except for the hardest surfaces and they last forever, especially compared to a Dunlop which, in contrast, work awesome for about 2 hours and then are ready to be replaced.

i just put a fresh rear S12 on my bike last week. something about a fresh S12. makes the whole bike seem faster. i guess because you start getting more of your engines power to the ground.

yeah in mud, or any soft terrain, the S12 is like a tractor tread.

my favorite overall tire, period. :)

I ran the Maxxis IT after strictly running the S12.

Verdict = Maxxis IT is WAY too heavy and tall. I ran the 120-80-18 and it felt like I had a midget hanging on to my back wheel. Your scale is nt wrong. My brand new maxxis weighed 4.5 lbs more than the S12 and it wore out sooner.

My vote is :D for the Maxxis and :) for the Frenchy S12. Im trying the MT32rear/MT44 front next since I dont like endorsing the Frogs. :D

Interesting. I LOVE the IT.

Then again, with the 520, I don't feel that weight.

I like Michelin's, but for the amount of hard dirt around here, the Michelin just won't cut it. Wear is forever, but traction is negligable when you get to the rocky and hard stuff.

I know I'll be runnign maxxis forever. Even with the beast of a tire, I still will out pull any bike, and I did so many times on starts...so to me, it's not a loss.

I have also went from the s-12 to the IT. But my 100/90-19 is really narrow. Have any of you guys on 250f's tried a 110 width maxxis?

120's are very popular on the Maxxis IT. especially on the 19" rim. :)

Are you running the 140 width S-12?? I'm on Maxxis IT's now, and am considering the change to the S-12 rear M-12 front combo.

People underestimate the impact of unsprung weight on your suspension. Not only that, because of the centrifical effect that excess weight slows you down more like a 20 pound weight.

I ran the Maxxis IT after strictly running the S12.

Verdict = Maxxis IT is WAY too heavy and tall. I ran the 120-80-18 and it felt like I had a midget hanging on to my back wheel. Your scale is nt wrong. My brand new maxxis weighed 4.5 lbs more than the S12 and it wore out sooner.

My vote is :) for the Maxxis and :D for the Frenchy S12. Im trying the MT32rear/MT44 front next since I dont like endorsing the Frogs. :D

I'm pretty sure my S12's say made in spain. I know Michelin is a french co. But that's how i justify them :D

Im trying the MT32rear/MT44 front next since I dont like endorsing the Frogs. :)

Bad news... Pirelli and Michelin are the same company.

Im trying the MT32rear/MT44 front next since I dont like endorsing the Frogs. :)

Isn't it Pirelli and Metzeler?

Im trying the MT32rear/MT44 front next since I dont like endorsing the Frogs. :D

Isn't it Pirelli and Metzeler?

yep :)

Allright, I just picked up a S-12 rear and M-12 front today at lunch. Going to slap them on tonight, and hopefully try them out this weekend. I'll let everybody know what I think. Thanks for all the input.

My mistake. I thought it was Pirelli, not Metzler.

Are you running the 140 width S-12??

I have the 130-80. This is the same size as most 110 width tires. The 140 would equal a 120.

Pansies!!! A few pounds, sprung, unsprung, or otherwise isn't going to make a big difference in *my* speed or endurance. Keeping corner speed up and being up able to reliably charge and rail rutted corners probably would.

I run a Maxxis IT for hardpack and it's a great tire for that. Yep, it's definitely a lot heavier than a 756 but that tire is TERRIBLE with a capital T on hardpack. So having a light tire that spins and dumps you off unexpectedly or a heavier one that hooks up predictably - I choose the Maxxis for sure.

I just rode in sloppy conditions recently with the Maxxis. Yuck - I wished I had a 756 or an S-12 then!!!

I'll probably put another Maxxis on after this one wears out.

So who has the best prices on tires?

I'll probably go with Bridgestone Heavy Duty tubes.

Rocky mountain is hard to beat on tire prices

:)