Best way to install new graphics?

Well today my GYTR tank and rad fin graphics came in. These are pretty expensive and pretty big! What is the best way to install new graphics with out messing them up? I have heard spraying water on the plastic and then installing them, or using soapy water. However I don't want to make it so they are not sticky and fall off.

HELP!!!!

:)

I use to use Windex. Just soak both the plastic and the decal and use a credit card to rub the bubbles out and to line them up. But what sucks is you spend lots of time putting them on, getting the bubbles out, making sure they line up, and your first ride out you dump it and they are sratched. Three weeks later the gas tank decals start to turn yellow and get lots of bubbles. But after the first few sets I put on, I started to just throw them on, and not spend much time on them because I knew I would be doing them again next month :).

Dave

This works real well. Clean the surface real well. Get a small spray bottle that is clean in the inside put one drop of dish soap inside add water. Shake up real well spray a mist on plastic then peel backing off graphic and spray that as well with a fine mist apply graphic and work into place. Then use a towel and rub out all the excess water from underneath as it starts to dry rub harder and just keep rubbing until completely dry works very well.

just use a bit of heat and start from one corner. i also covered them all with clear scuff stuff. as long as you prepare the surface properly they should stay on for a good while

Heres mine i just finished today

l65593.jpg

Nice job :)

Too bad it's a KX :D

I use nothing but windex, it works awsome. Try it. :)

Windex, a small soft plastic squeegee, a heat gun or hair drier, and a pin to poke the remaining bubbles. Be sure and clean the plastic where the graphics will go with something like alcohol and get all oils off it. It also is nice if the plastic and graphics are warm when you’re doing this.

Craig :)

So the stickers have no problems sticking or setting up when spray on the Windex? I also am guessing it will allow you to pick them up and put them down a few times?

Windex will evaporate as it dries.

I also have tried warm soapy water. about 1 - 2 drops of dawn in warm water enough to cover the plastic. This gets the graphics completly plyable.

It takes a while to squeegee things out but works well.

The best way to do it is to follow the manufacter's instructions. They all use different glues. Ask them what they recomend.

I have found that the best way to keep your graphics looking nice is to keep them in the plastic that you bought them in.

In other words dont install them.

ALL graphics installed on a yamaha will turn to crap in a time. It is because gas vapors leach thru the tank and attack the graphics. The kawasakis and Hondas have shrouds that cover the tank. There graphics stay way nicer.

My new wr250 that I am getting is going to have the stock graphics on it till they fall off then it is getting nothing else. I am tired of throwing money at stickers. They dont make the bike run any better or go any faster.

Shrouds HUH? Never have seen them before.

Shrouds HUH? Never have seen them before.

The radiator shrouds?? The ones that attatch to the radiators on your bike. What the heck do you call them, plastic air scoop thingys?

One thing about using soap is that it will leave a small amount of residue between the adhesive and plastic this may make the adhesive not hold as well.

The Windex will also evaporate quicker and squeegee out easier. It gives you enough time to slide the graphics into place.

my 2 cents

Craig :)

Well I will try it tonight! Windex it is!!! I see what your saying, Honda's go up further and they don't have much stickers on the tank.

Windex is the only way to go...

I also suggest once you get them installed to run a bead of clear finger nail polish around the edges. Really helps to keep the edges from starting to peel.

to prevent bubbles take a razor blade and recut the perforations.. the graphics ive put on were not punched thru all the way and they wanted to bubble. reperfed them and ive got 2 yrs on them now no bubbles and not pealing. also use contact or brake cleaner to make sure plastic is clean.ive done 2 sets of graphics this way and both are doing well

to prevent bubbles take a razor blade and recut the perforations.. the graphics ive put on were not punched thru all the way and they wanted to bubble. reperfed them and ive got 2 yrs on them now no bubbles and not pealing. also use contact or brake cleaner to make sure plastic is clean.ive done 2 sets of graphics this way and both are doing well

Ive done the same thing on my last few sets of graphics...seems to eliminate some of the yellowing also.