Dirt bikes to go twin cylinder

I don't think twins are legal in GPMX or in the AMA motocross rules.

When I was 13 and weighed about 100 lbs., I used to ride my brother's Honda CL175 twin 4-stroke in the hills around our house. IT FLAT OUT HAULED!! Had a tach and speedo and revved to about 11 grand.

That Aprilia motor is very light. Do 450's need more power?

Especially at the top of the powerband, which is likely where it would be made.

:):D :D :D :D :D

They will certainly handle better, even if they don't make more power overall.

Gyroscopic effects will be much lower than an equivilent displacement single.

They will certainly handle better, even if they don't make more power overall.

Gyroscopic effects will be much lower than an equivilent displacement single.

Ummm, I wouldn't call that a dirt bike.

Road race slicks don't do well in mud.

I thought the crank mass had more to do with gyroscopic effect.

And people think the Yamaha 400/426 is too heavy. That thing's gota weigh a ton. Certainly for MX.

thats not a dirt bike its a supermotard.

AMA is not going to adapt twin mx bikes anytime soon. This is good buisness for the Dirt-Track Privateers and supermotard. Now we will see some cool stuff coming out of japan as well. Who knows maybe a Dirt track revival is at hand :):D :D :D :D

Who knows maybe a Dirt track revival is at hand

I for one would like to see that. :)

Aprilia says they are going to make a dirt bike with that engine also.

They also say that engine weighs less and is more compact than currently available 450cc singles.

Who knows maybe a Dirt track revival is at hand

I wonder if that thing has a power pulse every 180 deg. of the crank or if it is designed differently...

Kinda like the old Harley V-twin vs. the XS6/750 Yamaha motor back was KR was campaigning in the GNC.

The Yamahas made plenty of power, but with the power pulse hitting every 180 deg. of the crank, it would light up the rear tire quite easily.

The Harley's were reported to do better because they had a power pulse every 270 deg. of the crank, allowing it to 'dig' into the track with less tendency to break the rear tire loose as much.

I'm sure BC3 could provide good info about this :D

Now, a fat knobby behind that new motor would be fun to try - I wonder if they will release a street bike with that motor in it??? :D:)

Kind of like the twingle built for parker by what was his tuners name again

Ohh Ya Keener wasnt it Corky Keener :)

PLus the yamaha's were inline this was from the begining a bad design as compared to the hd's v twin. letting the cylinders hit evenly at 180 was the best they could do to get the power delivery to match the hd. Shell was a master on the xs6/750

Now you through in a kid named roberts and its history.

I'd like to see a 750 version hit the dirt track circuit.