DRZ400s camchain

Hello all I thought I posted a question last week but must have lost my connection before I completed it. Sorry to repeat. Is there an adjustment for the cam chain tensioner on my 2000 DRZ400S? I bought the shop manual and it is a little vague in this subject. It only tells one to lock it on installation and then "unlock the spring after wards. is

ther an adjustment on it like there is on my '79 650 Yamaha? I seem to remeber on on my 65 Honda 160 Hawk as well. It has been a long time since I have had an engine that only fires every other time.(I loved those smelly twostrokes for a long time!).

Many thanks!

Is the cam chain noisy?

The recommended mod on here is to replace the stock auto camchain tensioner with a manual one, never had any problems with mine (01 400S) but apparently the early stock tensioners can fail.

the stock tensioner is completely automatic.no adjustment procedure.

the stock tensioner is completely automatic.no adjustment procedure.

burned -- sorry to correct you on this one but you forgot one detail, the

"Untill it fails -- then the adjustment procedure is quite extensive/expensive" :)

sorry,i stand corrected! :)

Hey Karoo -- do a search on this subject and you will see that there is a wealth of info.

I went with A.P.E. manual adjuster

Also, here is a bit of info Click here for info

Hey burned, I have the dreaded clacking noise on my 2000drze, Is this something that should be taken care of right away, and should the chain just be changed, or should the adjuster be changed as well. Has the problem been with the tensioner or is there a chance of the chain breaking and screwing up everything.

do not ride it anymore until you get a manul tensioner

hey are these noisy at idle or on up in the rpm's or both. thanks -jamie

will it be necessary to change the chain as well, and where can the manual tensioner be had?

Mines noisy at idle and when you let off the throttle, decreasing RPM's. It doesn't do it when increasing RPM.

Thanks Burned, looks like an easy fix.How do you know where to start on the adjustment when the manual tensioner is installed?

when you install it makes sure the nut and oring are backed way off.turn the adjuster in till you feel tension.start the motor.turn the adjuster out till the chain rattles and back in till its quiet.tighten the lock nut down and your done.

when you install it makes sure the nut and oring are backed way off.turn the adjuster in till you feel tension.start the motor.turn the adjuster out till the chain rattles and back in till its quiet.tighten the lock nut down and your done.

Hey burned you might as well put that explaination in your sig :)

Since I've asked I think you have repeated it VERBATIM several times.

Thanks so much for all the ideas and suggestions guys! I am hearing a little bit of noise comming from somewhere. Could be the valves clearance. Have never set them yet. For goodness sakes I just now changed the original sparkplug @ 6700 miles! the new one made little difference! I figured adjusting the cam chain tensioner would be a smart thing to do with this many miles.

I am the original owner and broke it in carefully. It has been the best bike I have ever had so far,and I have had quite a few! I wish I was riding her in the mountains of my old home, California. Just getting good at sugarsand here!!!

thanks again!! ride on!!

Could be the valves clearance. Have never set them yet.

I'd get those valves adjusted asap. :)