Loud noises coming from the engine....

I loaded my bike this past sunday morning to ride in Dallas (3.5 hrs away) got down there and was warming up my bike and heard an awkward noise coming from the engine. I was pissed, and thought if it blows it blows. So I rode all day, the bike ran perfect. Anyway last night, I was determined to find the culprit, I thought the valves needed reshimmed or the motor mounts needed tightened. Both check out ok, pieced it all together . Fired her up, it sounds like its coming from the bottom end around the clutch. Any thoughts?

Check the bolts on the clutch springs. Mine came loose on me once.

Check the bolts on the clutch springs. Mine came loose on me once.

I took the clutch cover off, just to see if I can see anything, nothing. There is no metal in the oil or anything. :)

I would pull the clutch out and check all the bolts/screws on the case behind it. What kind of noiuse it it? Rotational, ticking, knocking etc...

loud ticking, almost to the point of knocking

Does it speed up when you get on the gas?

good question, I am not sure. I will check tonight

You can buy a mechanics "stethescope" from Sears Craftsman, Snap-on, Harbor Freight etc. That will help to isolate the noise. It will give you a pretty good idea where the noise is originating from. It's great for tracking down engine noises that seem to just come from "within".

Same thing happened to a friend with an 01 WR426. The noise was just as you described it and we ended up riding all day. The friend is a highly skilled mechanic and he tore down the engine completely to find out what was wrong. There was a small amount of rub wear on the inside of the clutch cover. There was a little metal in the oil but it wasn't more than a normal amount. He couldn't find anything else wrong. We talked it over and came to the conclusion that the clutch basket is starting to get some wear on the its main bushing (bearing?) and it was moving around a bit. He "fixed" it by using 2 gaskets on the clutch cover to increase the clearance and the noise went away. No problems ever since.

Tell your friend thanks. I didn't even look at that. But it sounds like its coming from the clutch. I will fix it a try. :)

I have seen clutch baskets that got a piece of metal from somewhere in the

tranny/engine that got lodged in between

the teeth on the clutch basket and every time it passed the engine gear

it would make a noise....look at each tooth on both gears to make sure their clean....also does the noise change

when the clutch is disengauged? That would be a worn basket or pressure plate

on a new bike that would be a long shot though....Maybe your K/S stop is broken

and the K/S pawl is partly engauged?

BC :)

Here are the symptoms my buddy experienced on his YZF250. He was riding and heard a noise, so he shut it down. We tore the gear cover off of the right side of the bike, and the waterpump impeller shaft was broken. We replaced it and started the bike, same noise. We tore the top off of it, and noticed nothing unusual with the cams or the tensioner chain. We brought it in to have it looked at, they couldn't find anything wrong, $1000 later. We got it back and it was making the same noise, but with every part in the motor basically brand new, including the case halves. The only thing they did not replace was the main bearing. A year has went by, and the noise has cut itself in half, but is still there. My buddy rides C class and continues to finish every race (I said FINISH!.......:) At first we thought it was the spring on the inside of the case that holds the kickstarter, but after replacing that as well, the noise is still there. The bike runs great, and the dealership apologized for not replacing the main bearing and told him to bring it in and they would do it. He's got so much money into that motor, he will no doubt own it until he dies. I probably didn't help you with anything, but the bike runs great, if thats the direction you want to go!

check the back side of the clutch basket for tini cracks (use magnafiing glass)also there are like rubber bumpers in the back where the springs sit that wear check that those arent cracked,worn or gone

M/C

It's sounds like the typical clutch chatter that people have describe, reg. 03 models..........

Here are the symptoms my buddy experienced on his YZF250. He was riding and heard a noise, so he shut it down. We tore the gear cover off of the right side of the bike, and the waterpump impeller shaft was broken. We replaced it and started the bike, same noise. We tore the top off of it, and noticed nothing unusual with the cams or the tensioner chain. We brought it in to have it looked at, they couldn't find anything wrong, $1000 later. We got it back and it was making the same noise, but with every part in the motor basically brand new, including the case halves. The only thing they did not replace was the main bearing. A year has went by, and the noise has cut itself in half, but is still there. My buddy rides C class and continues to finish every race (I said FINISH!.......:) At first we thought it was the spring on the inside of the case that holds the kickstarter, but after replacing that as well, the noise is still there. The bike runs great, and the dealership apologized for not replacing the main bearing and told him to bring it in and they would do it. He's got so much money into that motor, he will no doubt own it until he dies. I probably didn't help you with anything, but the bike runs great, if thats the direction you want to go!

my friend had the same symtoms, the yam shop replaced EVERY bearing and he got it back and it was LOUDER. I tried the extra gasket, didn't help. :D