total 10 week weight loss and how it happened

It's Official!!

13 pounds down in 10 weeks. 265 to 252

Lift for about 45 minutes 4 days a week

Yoga 45 minutes 4 days a week

Low carb diet (I haven't seen a french fry in weeks)

1 24 hour fast a week ( sunset to sunset, Juice, v-8, water only)

Blood presssure down from 120 over 80 to 100/over 80.

I am hoping the fitness gurus on the board have some advice for continueing this progress.

Thanks,

Racemile

What does the fasting accomplish?

A PROPER low carb diet is a very good way to shed weight, and maintain weight once you reach a goal. Atkins is a good way to get a jump start, but you CANNOT and SHOULD NOT do the Atkins plan "forever". I used Atkins initially to drop 38lbs, then I used common sense and some basic guidelines to maintain my weight. Added back in the "good carbs" and some occasional bad sugars. If you deny yourself EVERYTHING you like that is bad, then you WILL binge sooner or later...use common sense and surround yourself with the good stuff, don't keep lots of "bad" stuff around the house.

In over 5 weeks I have not regained a single pound. My eating habits have changed dramatically for the better. My average daily carb intake is now running from 40g to 50g.

Yes, I still have the occasional cookies, ice cream, or slice of pie and I love it, but it is a "treat" and not a "habit". There are several low carb chocolate bars available (2g-4g net carbs), as well as Russel Stover's low carb peppermint patties...umm yummee! Bryers also makes an excellent vailla and chocolate ice cream that only has 4g per cup of NET carbs.

I do NOT drink ANY non-diet soft drinks, period. Fresca, Diet Coke, and non-sweet tea...Gatorade on riding days is mixed 50/50 with water, it has alot of sugar in it, watch out. Milk is OK, I usually average 1-2 cups per day, enough to keep my calcium intake proper for my bones.

I NEVER eat potatoes, white flours, or rice. Beans in smaller amounts, they have "good" complex carbs and fiber. I buy a pizza dough mix that only has 4g of carbs per slice, makes (3) 10" pizzas and is AWESOME, add your spices, meats, and cheeses for a meal that is way better than 25g carbs per slice "normal" pizza.

I NEVER count calories, ever. I eat until I am full, no face stuffing. Common sense is the operative word here.

I LOVE lean meats, fish, turkey, etc. and eat as much of these as I want. Plain salted peanuts makes a nice snack, much better than grabbing a twinkie or snickers...

I DO eat moderate amounts of good green vegetables, some complex carbs such as wheat bread in smaller amounts, and a few fruits. At restaurants when I eat steak, etc., I skip the potatoes and get a larger salad instead.

I run 5-6 miles 3x a week, plus riding. No weights. I am naturally muscular and tall (6'3" 202lbs) and have large legs for my size...don't know where that came from, but I am glad. I feel better now and have more energy than I have had since I was 18yrs old (33 now) and quite simply, my life is better than ever. My wife also follows some of the stuff I outlined above, she has lost 19lbs and almost has her "per-child" figure back... :)

What does the fasting accomplish?

the fasting is slowing down your motabolism down which is not what you want when trying to loose wt. cograds on the progress.

Exactly what i thought. The skinniest people i know dont eat muct at each sitting but eat very often.

Good job-the blood pressure is a really good side effect of the whole diet thing.

So you lift and do yoga, do you do any other cardio type of exercise? Like walking or moderate paced jogging. You can speed up the fat loss process even more by busting out a few 30 minute "fast walks" or something similar. The aerobic benefit is more if your heart rate is higher (like 70-80%) but the fat loss is higher if it is a sustained exercise at like 60-70% of your max heart rate). I would look hard at the fasting portion of your program and think hard as to why you do that. IT may seem that it would "jump start" your weight loss, but your body will work against that. The metabolism slows and your body will try to store fat if it is "tricked" into thinking it won't get any. I would look hard at the fasting...

Good job on the weight loss though, keep it up! :)

I was up to 245 pounds, out of breath and found it very hard to bend over to tie my shoes. I had high blood pressure (and meds), high cholesteral, was constantly stressed out, chewed Copenhagen all day long, and drank waaaaay too much carbonated sugar water. Then I changed my bad habits, lost 1 to 2 pounds a week, and got down to 185 and felt great! I'm not as hardcore as I used to be, but the habits are still pretty good. Now I'm between 190 - 200 pounds which is not too bad for me after the holidays.

From my experience I would say just about all foods are okay. Moderation is key. Generally speaking, the portions of food we eat are too big. It's so hard to eat just a small plate of food and walk away. Like someone else said, it is better to eat smaller portions every few hours, and drink water. Rather than cutting out fun foods and snacks, find healthy alternatives. Instead of soda all the time, try juice or water. Instead of cookies try healthy chips or wheat crackers. Kick start your metabolism early on and don't skip breakfast. Incorporate high fiber foods (apples, bananas, prunes, bran muffins with a large glass of water) cause they make you feel full. It's not good to skip a meal. It's good to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner with healthy snacks in between. After dinner don't eat. Going to bed with a full stomach is counterproductive. I counted calories too because I didn't want to leave anything to chance. After a week or two of being "good" I would "cheat" and have a pizza or eat an entire peach pie or whatever - rewards are important, and they help keep a person on track. Finding something to motivate you is important too.

Also, exercise is important. Walking, biking, weights, joging, some sports are needed on a regular basis. I bought weights then got bored, then borrowed a friends exercise bike which hurt my knees, then bought a treadmill and heart rate moniter. The tread mill worked for me. I can walk or jog any time of day or weather. I do about 15 to 20 miles of easy jogging a week. I jog in the morning beause after work I'm too tired. There are so many cardiovasculare exercises to choose from. Jogging works for me cause its intense, and quick. In 30 minutes I'm done.

One thing that helped me was that my wife was losing pounds at the same time I was. Losing weight is easier if your spouse is on the same or similair program.

It's good to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner with healthy snacks in between. After a week or two of being "good" I would "cheat" and have a pizza or eat an entire peach pie or whatever - rewards are important, and they help keep a person on track.

Also, exercise is important. Jogging works for me cause its intense, and quick. In 30 minutes I'm done.

The man has it right! I "reward" myself with milk AND Fruity Pebbles! Or the occasional slice of pie, a donut, etc. Just not everyday....usually once a week. :) the weight stays off...easily. I too jog/run 15-20 miles a week plus riding...works great!

therapture have you tried the sport drink called ultima I first read about it on tt only 9 carbs for 20oz drink I use it when I ride and for hare scrambles ,unbeleivable how good I feel after a 2.5 hour H/S :)

therapture have you tried the sport drink called ultima I first read about it on tt only 9 carbs for 20oz drink I use it when I ride and for hare scrambles ,unbeleivable how good I feel after a 2.5 hour H/S :)

Ultima eh? I will have my wife check for me next time when she goes shopping. I have been using Gatorade 50/50 with water on race and practice days. I sip on it constantly between motos, and I have not felt dehydrated or too thirsty. I also normally eat a sandwich of wheat bread, ham, and cheese between motos, and maybe a peice of fruit. thats about it on race days though....