Dakar rally

Wow, the TV coverage has been pretty poor. Web coverage doesn't seem to be much better, although I can find more detailed results. Unless you are in the first five positions, or have a really spectacular crash, you won't even get mentioned on TV.

For instance, arguably one of the most newsworthy items about the race is Yamaha's two wheel drive WR450. I think they got about 1.5 total minutes of coverage over the first three days of the rally (and only that much because Fretigne won two stages on the Yammy), but haven't been mentioned since.

Anyway, here are some links to more info, good luck.

Fretigne's standings, click on "more" for a good breakdown.

Main Rally site.

Unless you are in the first five positions, or have a really spectacular crash, you won't even get mentioned on TV.

Not exactly - my friend is in 71st place (or something like that) and they've mentioned his name twice and showed him once. :)

It seems like the coverage was great last year and almost nonexistent this year. :)

I thought the Speed Channel did a good job of coverage last year. Did they not get the contract this year, or did they just decide for us that NASCAR is what we really want to see. :D

Speed Channel sucks so bad, we're lucky to get any coverage at all. Bet ya a nickel it's on OLN next year.

Lots of good stuff here,

http://raid.racing-live.com/en/

Make sure you check out the whole site if your into F1

moto gp etc

It seems like the coverage was great last year and almost nonexistent this year.

No shiiiiiiiiiite. Last year they had one hour of coverage every night, now we get a lousy half-hour? I bet next year we get zero, zip, nada. Guess they have to make room for more Nascrap. I still like Nascar racing but all of the pre-race, post-race and analytical bullshiiit is getting extremely tiring................. :D :D :snore:Time to fire some more hate-mail to SPEEDTV :):D

Fretinge on the 2WD WR450 has placed 13th in the last two stages, and is holding down 12th overall. Man I would love to take that tank for a spin! What do you think those bikes weigh?

Watching tonights stage, one of the KTM riders was worrying over an oil leak at the start line. He said "Yesterday was a rest day, so we put new engines in..."

Nice. I'm gonna go rest now. I will make you a deal, I don't need a new engine this leg, but could you please grease all my linkages and suspension for me by morning?!

Yeah, that was Roeseler with the oil leak...

Did you see the locals racing all the 50cc bikes?? :D :D :D :D :D :D

The 'Rollie Free at Bonneville' riding position was too much!!! That, and towards the end when the guy in the background that runs over that kids foot and then eats it - no helmet, no protective gear at all - did a pretty good face plant too!! :):usa:

That was pretty funny, seeing a pack of mopeds screaming down a crowded street with the "pilots" laid out, chest on the seat and legs straight out behind. They were even tucking in their free hand behind them for better aerodynamics!

Winner got a new moped!

Whoa, check this! I had a gut feeling we weren't finished seeing spectacular things from this bike and David Fretigne. 1st place on the 13th stage! That moves him to 10th overall. It is great to see someone NOT on a KTM doing something in this race, and it's even more impressive because it's such a new bike. Can't wait to see the TV coverage today!

TEAM N° 012 CURRENT OVERALL STANDINGS: 10 (stage 13)

FRETIGNE

David

Nationality: FRA

Born in: 30/07/1970

VEHICLE

Type Make Group Class

450 WR - 2WD YAMAHA SUPER PRODUCTION DE 251 A 450 CM3

CHECKPOINTS

Start

03:44:30

Stage 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Standings 5 1 1 38 15 16 16 22 13 - - 13 1 - - - -

+ more

man the moped wipeouts were rough. I loved the leaders and their layed out prone ride style @ 65mph on a freaking moped legs hanging off tha back... :):D