Where are the 2 smokes?

I agree, it would have to be at least a 150cc or 170cc to be competitive with an 85. And if all these rumors of mini race thumpers is true i hope its soon, so i can get the kid one and use his 85 for a donor to upgrade my ttr125 ?

Seems that way. 4-stroke technology is making them as, if not more, competetive than the 2-smokes.

Read the comparison between the CR125 and CRF250 in the latest Dirt Rider.

More competetive.. :D 125 two-cycle against a 250 four-cycle..Get Real! :D

Dont get me wrong,I love four strokes but cc-for-cc their still is a huge difference!!! ?:D :D :D

Power is not the key. Rideability is the key.

Patrick Garahan rode at a local friends property a few years back. My friend is a Vet Pro HS racer and had the best lap time on his woods course/MX track on his EXC200.

PGarahan beat his time on an XR250 that my buddies wife rides!!!!!!!! No kidding. We were FLOORED! Its how the power is put to the ground and your ability to use what you have ?

IMO 2smokes will not go away for a good number of years.

I'm also a whole hearted thumper convert. Given what is available for bikes right now I'll never go back to the 2-smoke. I can't help but wonder though, what kind of 2-smokes we'd be riding if the same $$ that went into thumper development had gone into better 2 smoke technology. I personally don't think the manufacturers would have gone the thumper route (at least not for a long time) if the threat of banning 2 smoke engines wasn't over their heads. There is no disputing the simplicity and power/weight of a 2-smoke engine make them tough to beat. Combine a 2-smoke with 21st century technology and you could have a pretty potent package. But alas, we may never really find out if the EPA has its way. ?

I was glad to see it looks like Yamaha hasn't completly given up on the 125 2-stroke. Dirt rider's last issue had a picture of Yamie's new 125 (2005 maybe?) It looked like a completely new motor. I'll be curious to see if it can stem the flood of riders jumping on the thumper bandwagon.

I'm a thumper guy for sure, but I still like to see the 2-strokes keep us honest. Competition is good.

Do you really think that a 500cc 2 smoke would have a much different lap time than lets say a YFZ/CRF450? I dont think so unless there wasnt any turns. More powerful yes, but not more rideable.

Yes I DO!!! If there was a 500cc bike with the same technology.. :D

Now lets compare 250 2&4 strokes,multiple tracks, not just one so as we can have a preconcieved outcome.

OK..Now the 125s...cr,yz,rm,kx..vs'...What..ttr125,crf150? ?

I'm also a whole hearted thumper convert. Given what is available for bikes right now I'll never go back to the 2-smoke. I can't help but wonder though, what kind of 2-smokes we'd be riding if the same $$ that went into thumper development had gone into better 2 smoke technology. I personally don't think the manufacturers would have gone the thumper route (at least not for a long time) if the threat of banning 2 smoke engines wasn't over their heads. There is no disputing the simplicity and power/weight of a 2-smoke engine make them tough to beat. Combine a 2-smoke with 21st century technology and you could have a pretty potent package. But alas, we may never really find out if the EPA has its way. :D

I was glad to see it looks like Yamaha hasn't completly given up on the 125 2-stroke. Dirt rider's last issue had a picture of Yamie's new 125 (2005 maybe?) It looked like a completely new motor. I'll be curious to see if it can stem the flood of riders jumping on the thumper bandwagon.

I'm a thumper guy for sure, but I still like to see the 2-strokes keep us honest. Competition is good.

Cool!... ?:D

Power is not the key. Rideability is the key.

Patrick Garahan rode at a local friends property a few years back. My friend is a Vet Pro HS racer and had the best lap time on his woods course/MX track on his EXC200.

PGarahan beat his time on an XR250 that my buddies wife rides!!!!!!!! No kidding. We were FLOORED! Its how the power is put to the ground and your ability to use what you have :D

IMO 2smokes will not go away for a good number of years.

Double"DANG" I should'nt have sold my wife's xr250, so I could buy a wrf ?:D :D :D :D :D:usa: