oil question...

i am about to do my first oil change on the bike. At 600 mi. I had the dealership do it because I had a free coupon from Suzuki. Anyway, shes at 3500 mi now. Is there any reason I shouldn't use a semi-synthetic oil? Any input is appreciated.

Eric

thats a long time between changes. you could

probably start using fully synthetic now anyway.

thats a long time between changes.

The owners manual says 600mi. first change, 4000mi. second change. Are you supposed to change it more frequently?

Eric

Ive been going about every 1000 - 1500 between changes, if you ride in VERY dusty or muddy

conditions Id say change it even more. Syn will work, just make sure you get a MC specific

oil and not one for cars with all the additives... I have 12000 on mine now and have changed

it at least 8 or 9 times, maybe overkill, but I rev the hell out of my machine and an oil

change is the easiest way to pay it back for all the flogging... :D:)

Be careful the first time you do it, dont overtighten the acorn nuts on the oil filter cover.

I did, stripped one acorn nut and pulled the stud out of another... :D

Ive been going about every 1000 - 1500 between changes, if you ride in VERY dusty or muddy

conditions Id say change it even more. Syn will work, just make sure you get a MC specific

oil and not one for cars with all the additives... I have 12000 on mine now and have changed

it at least 8 or 9 times, maybe overkill, but I rev the hell out of my machine and an oil

change is the easiest way to pay it back for all the flogging... :D:)

Be careful the first time you do it, dont overtighten the acorn nuts on the oil filter cover.

I did, stripped one acorn nut and pulled the stud out of another... :D

thanks for the info duane, probably just saved me a lot of trouble. As far as my riding, I mostly ride street (would like to change that though...). My bike hasn't seen dirt since early august. My motor has a pretty easy life. I might go semi-syn this change and full syn. next one.

BTW- you have a pm

well I just put in some motul 5000 oil. The bike really liked it, i think i picked up a small power gain.

Eric

motul rules

I've been running full syn since 350 miles, the first oil and filter change. I ride mainly steet although here in florida I've been doing a little more offroading than in Texas. Mainly street full syn will run 2000 miles no prob, heavy tranny abuse offroad could shorten that view.

My dirtiest filter was the second filter changed at 4500 miles, nothing scarry butnoted a little more particulate than prefered, the one changed at 8700 miles looked clean.

I think I'm on my 3rd filter in 10,000 miles.

I've been changing the oil about 1800 to 2000 miles, with filter every other change.