XR100 questions...

I posted this in the XR mini forum, but thought I would post it here because I do not know how many people visit that forum. I also know a lot of you guys ride these little bikes so maybe you could help me out.

But I just bought an 03 XR100 for my girlfriend and just had a few questions.

1. What kind of oil do you guys recommend, and what is the capacity I should put it.

2. How often do you guys recommend to change the oil.

3. Anything I should look for with this bike. I live in AZ, and ride a CRF450 so I know about maintenance . I know to change the air filter regularly, probably after every ride, and to change oil often, just not sure how often on these little bikes. Anything else that I need to know about would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

I have had several 100's over the years, for my kids, the last one was a 1996 and my buddy is still running that one. These little bikes are basically bullet proof. But your Idea to change the oil often is a good one, I found out when my son started getting bigger and racing his that the rear engine mounting bolt would loosen up and cause the chain to derail. One time he was one corner away from winning the race and hit a small jump and derailed the chain, maximum bummer! :) Any way, these little bikes dont take nearly the maint that your 450 does, check the valves once a year, keep the oil fresh and the air cleaner clean, and ride it :D They will take an amazing amount of abuse and keep running.

What kind of oil do you reccomend and how often? I have tons of Honda GN4 10-40 that I use in all my other bikes, would that be alright. Thanks

Dave

You have a girlfriend.... :D:)

I have a 03 100 for my youngest...

What kind of oil do you reccomend and how often? I have tons of Honda GN4 10-40 that I use in all my other bikes, would that be alright. Thanks

Dave

The GN4 will be fine as long as it doesn't have moly in it.

You have a girlfriend.... :):D

I have a 03 100 for my youngest...

Ya well she just wanted something small she can put around on. She has never ridden a day in her life so I didn't want her to get on a bike that would scare the [@#$%&!] out of her because then I would be SOL on the whole riding thing with her...

Dave

just giving you a hard time... are you riding Sun....

Probably not, the tracks are so packed and everybody thinks they can be like Reed after SX come into town. I rode today hoping to see Albertyne, but I didn't see him.

Dave

Might go to Eloy... it isnt usually to busy...

I did the same thing for my wife. She had never ridden, so I got her the 100. She loved it. Only rode it 6 months before I upgraded her to the 230 (she wanted electric start really bad). Anyway, she's a mad woman now. Several of the wives ride together in out group, then the guys get to go out and tear it up. Best fun in the world, and great for the family!

And I know I only had it for six months, but I used the Honda GN4 10-40 in it, without a problem. Changed it after every 4-5 rides. Oil still came out fairly clean after 5 rides, so I figured I was doing okay. Also cleaned the air filter after every ride. When I traded it in, the bike ran/looked like new.

Great choice for a beginning rider. Although, if I had gone to the 150 to start, my wife probably would of still been riding it. The 230 is a heavy, gutless beast, but she doesn't want me to mod it for a little more power.

I tried to get her to get the 150, but the price was to perfect for the 100. We got it for 1400 and it is almost brand new. Has maybe 15 hrs, on it with minor scratches so I didn't want tp pass this one up. I figure she rides it for a while, and if she has fun I will upgrade her to the CRF150 or try to find a used XR200.

I might go down to eloy, but I gotta see what the little lady wants to do. If she wants to ride I will just go to the desert. But if she doesn't want to ride, I might be there. :)

Dave