this might seem silly but...

has anyone ever installed a tach on their drz?

You mean your bike didn't come with one?

You better bring it back to the dealer! :)

its hard to get an accurate one for a single cylender bike that doest cost a [@#$%&!] load. the stock rev limeter is 1000rmp lower then it needs to be so you dont need a tach. just ride the f-ucker as hard as you want. :)

Classic Simon response :)

But its TRUE. Balls to the wall bounce the rev limiter all day long :D

hmm... perhaps i should go find out where my rev limiter kicks in. i haven't reached it yet. :)

rev till it stutters,shift and repeat. :)

rev till it stutters,shift and repeat.

All day long!! :D:)

Drag specialties makes a mini tach about 2.75" in diameter. Cost was about $65 US. I put one on my road bike and it seems to work well...I don't know how it would stand up to off-road pounding, but should handle trails. Carl

you guys crack me up. I had looked at an autometer single cylinder gauge awhile back and the damn thing was close to $300! I guess the thing just needs to get run WFO!

Well that sounds good, but it looks like almost all of their tachs are limited to 8000 RPM. :D I'm not sure where the stock rev limit kicks in, but I'm guessing it's about 9500. Does anyone know the actual RPM Limit? :)

Thanks!

10,000 S

10,500 E/K

11,000 yosh

Does anyone know the actual RPM Limit?

Thanks!

YUP! :) 5th gear tapped out :D :D

No but it would help me a lot. I only have 1% hearing with 3,600 bucks worth of hearing aids in my head. A tach would be benificial on technical hillclimbs to make sure I'm not in the red zone. I'm geared low enough I truly doubt I put a bike into the rev-limiter, it would be nice to know though. prairiedawg :):D :D :D

I don't want to take my eyes off of the trail for that split second to look at a tach. FEEL the bike, you don't need a tach.

FEEL the bike

Feel The Force, Luke....

I wouldn't mind having a tach either. When things are happening fast, I would not have to look at it, but its not always so critical that you couldn't see it for a tenth of a second at a time. I used to race cars and they all had tachs.

-Vince

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Markl5557
      Anyone’s air box smell like gas ? Is this normal ? Air filter is bone dry but it reeks in there .... I’m assuming cause of the carb being semi filled with gas ??
    • By Markl5557
      So I’m reading these horror stories of the stock vacume operated petcocks failing and letting gas into the oil .... how many of you guys switched over and is it worth it to switch to manual ?
    • By Markl5557
      Hey guys . I feel like I post here way to much lol 

anyway after having my bike kn it’s side overnight to fix a cracked stator cover .... I come to find out that I also accidentally left the pet cock in the prime position .... constant gas flow to carb ... now my oil smells strongly of gas ... my question is ... was it the bike being on its side that made the gas get into the oil or the prime position on petcock that made this happen ? Or both ? I didn’t ride it much at all after discovering... I assume. I should drain the oil obviously but any other suggestions ? Always appreciated -mark 
    • By Praneeth143
      Hello guys , I have a suzuki drz400sm which is a 2009 model recently I purchased a rear sprocket which was a JT 41T , but I found that it did not fit to the rear sprocket hub of the bike and my drz has got the EXCEL TAKASAGO rims in it . How can I find one that fits and what sprocket brands and where can I buy it . I have attached pics of the current setup , please help me

• By Surfman1
      Hello all, first time poster. Just bought this bike a few days ago it’s an 08 drz 400sm and am starting to notice it has a strange backfire at idle. I understand a little bit at decel might be normal, but at idle too?  It appears to have been jetted already, judging by the fact it has a jd jetting sticker on the bike itself. I know that it’s not an exact indicator it has but it could be. Has an FMF exhaust, it looks like a full system rather then a slip on but not entirely sure. A buddy recommended I mess with the air and fuel screw, haven’t done that yet. Just wanted to see if there was any other tips I should try.