Sign in to follow this  

bars: ahead.forward,middle?

ive always kept my cross bar a bit ahead of the clamp bolts.

i know they are supposed to be above them, i guess it depends its the way you ride.

i also know ricky rolls them wayyy back, well i tried this and man its awesome. you would think it feels like the bars are in your lap but its really comfortable, anyone else have theres way back?

rc style :)

yeah i ride mx 90% on my 250f...i think me and a local mx rider who thinks hes a woods master are having a race this summer though :)

IMO, bars in your lap are a mistake. The reason is it will reposition your center of gravity toward the rear. It also lets your elbows drop to your side too easily and with this setup it is harder to maintain the attack position. A yzf is a front wheel steerer and needs the weight to be accurate. You're moving the weight off the front to the back.

RC ran bars in his lap until recently when his mechanic and team honda came out and told him to stop. He has changed his setup to move forward.

If rolling the bars down makes the bike feel better, then chances are you have a setup problem with your bike, probably the front is too soft, either springs or valving. Before you begin wholesale changes on the front, do some testing.

RC ran bars in his lap until recently when his mechanic and team honda came out and told him to stop. He has changed his setup to move forward.

i'm not arguing about the positioning, but who is this "mechanic" and who is this "team honda" that makes them think they know how to go fast on an MX bike? i mean, RC has all but steamrolled the universe of MX riders in the last couple of years -- remember the 2002 RC vs MC "supercross showdown" that turned into a non-event? maybe, just maybe, this RC guy knows how to go REALLY fast just a little bit better than his mechanic or that entity called team honda? :)

i wonder if when he was at Kawa they were like, "we don't care if you bless your bike with the blood of a Perusian mountain goat before the race -- as long as you end up on the podium, you can do *whatever* you want ace."

jim aka the wrooster

'01 wr250f

i'm not arguing about the positioning, but who is this "mechanic" and who is this "team honda" that makes them think they know how to go fast on an MX bike? i mean, RC has all but steamrolled the universe of MX riders in the last couple of years -- remember the 2002 RC vs MC "supercross showdown" that turned into a non-event? maybe, just maybe, this RC guy knows how to go REALLY fast just a little bit better than his mechanic or that entity called team honda? :)

i wonder if when he was at Kawa they were like, "we don't care if you bless your bike with the blood of a Perusian mountain goat before the race -- as long as you end up on the podium, you can do *whatever* you want ace."

jim aka the wrooster

'01 wr250f

yeah wrooster im with you on that one.........do you think rc would listen to "team honda and mechanic" to make him go slower? huh

yeah

What's the benefit in having the bars pulled all the way back to your lap? Does he have nubs for arms? That's the only thing I can think of.

:)

I used to ride with mine lined up with the clamp bolts but after riding Bullfrogs YZ I put them forward a little bit. At 1st it threw me off a little bit but then I adjusted my body position but I like it cause it sets me up in a more aggressive position.

I wouldnt even care what other people say. Just do what is comfortable to you.

I wouldnt even care what other people say. Just do what is comfortable to you.

agreed completely...i rolled mine way back today, its a bit different to get used to but then again i was in snow without studs :)

jim aka the wrooster

'01 wr250f

This is the same question I asked from whomever told me this. I can't recall the exact source but if you look I think you'll see RC's bars aren't nearly in his lap as much as previous. If I'm FOS on this, then I'll publicly beg forgiveness. :D I'll be careful about such statements ,henceforward, without some credibility source. :D

Regardless, I will maintain that staying forward is better than moving to the rear.

Here is something kind of related, but pretty funny...

I used to have a 2001 KX125 and the ergonomics were really cramped, even for all 5'9" of me. The bar position was way too far back, and I couldn't justify purchasing new clamps so I just ran my bars "buckhorn" style. It really helped open up the cockpit of the machine and it felt fine. Sometimes I'd get a comment or two about my bars being so far forward, but nothing too out of the ordinary.

One day I went riding and person after person kept commenting on how far forward my bars were. I was like, "yeah, yeah, whatever" until the 20th person of the day said something. I finally took a hard look at them and they had slipped in the clamps and the crossbar was WAY out in front of the bolts. The bars were probably beyone 45 degrees forward in relation to the clamp!

The funny thing was when I spun them back and actually put them further back then I had them before, my wrists stopped aching after rides. Imagine that! :)

My first bike was a YZ125 and riding with good riders tought me alot about the importance of technique and riding smooth. When I switched to my 2002 YZF, the engine braking all but threw me over the handlebars. I was reading the number plate in every turn! In order to try and combat the akwardness of the severe engine braking (compared to a YZ125), I rolled the bars back to push my center of gravity back a little further on the bike. It helped alot, and now after a summer of riding the YZF, my thumper feels like an extension of my body, as did my 125. I plan on progressively working the bars forward again this spring though to a more normal position, because I think having the bike set up right does do a lot for encouraging good riding technique like keeping your shoulders and elbows up when approaching and riding through corners. :)