DR-Z 400s Engine Break-in

I really enjoy this forum and have learned a lot. Getting ready to buy and found a great deal on a new 04 400s about 125 miles from from where I live. I could do most of the ride home under 50 mph (maybe the first 60 miles) but then would have to do about 20 miles on the freeway at at least 60 mph (welcome to So. Cal)and then back to the streets.

What is the break-in like for this engine...should I just plan on putting it on a carrier for the trip home? Thanks. Carl

no way ride it home just let it warm up and dont let the engine run at a constant speed get on and off the throttle alot try ;)to keep it under half throttle. don't dog it though let the rpm's climb.

not you,him!yours was fine.

doh! :):D

I used the mototune break in method on my bike so we'll see how it holds up over time. I didn't baby the bike *at all* and ran it through the gears as if it were fully broken in. I had it up to 80 mph. or so within the first 15 miles. I varied the engine speed a lot and used heavy engine braking. :)

Ride it like you stole it! But easily :)

Thanks for the input...I look forward to the ride home of the new DR-Z and finally getting of the pavement. Lots to learn, glad this site is here to benefit from your discoveries. Carl

Congrats on the new bike.

Enjoy the highway ride home but remember don't trust the mirrors, look once for yourself and twice again for others :)

I always heat-cycle new engines. Ride it 15-20 minutes then let it sit and cool, a half dozen times. I wouldn't ride it 120 miles at once.

Just my .02

I always heat-cycle new engines. Ride it 15-20 minutes then let it sit and cool, a half dozen times. I wouldn't ride it 120 miles at once.

Just my .02

Why??????

I always here of folks doing this but nobody has ever gave me a decent answer why..

I aint trying to be a smart-ss I just would like to know the theory behind this..

I still dont see why heat cycle,I am a firm believer in run easy a good minute or two untill up to operating temp then flog the snot out of it.

The run for a few minutes and shut down makes no sence at all to me unless you are on a dyno with no air flow for cooling,or maybe running WOT at slow speed,if moving and flogging within reason the bike will not overheat,if it does overheat something is wrong.

I am not trying to change your mind on how you do it or even say it is wrong, if it works for you great. :)

damn... learn something new everyday :)

"rev till it stutters,shift and repeat"

Burned 2004

im flattered bp_fire! :)

"rev till it stutters,shift and repeat"

Burned 2004

im flattered bp_fire! :)

:D thats good. anyway oconnor does have a good point i would probably heat cycle it at least once. The heat cycling isn't to prevent overheating it is to temper the metal parts

Take the back way for a bit at first, row through the gears some and change the oil when you get home. Have a good one. :)

The heat cycling isn't to prevent overheating it is to temper the metal parts

the mototune article directly addresses that.thats a myth.tempering takes place at a temps much higher than any motor could make.

it is that makes sense you would think all the necessary tempering would have been done before assembly and thetempering ive done in school involved heating the metal untill it turned blue. maybe work hardening is a better term or maybe it's all b/s.