What Tools?

Howdy all,

I'm a noob to the whole dirtbike scene and I'm really ignorant of 4 strokes, BUT, I have the service manual for my new KX250F and I want to be prepared to do some of the maintenance. Beyond the basic wrenches and screwdrivers, and such what specialized tools do I need?

Should I get a set of torque wrenches? That manual says everything should be torqued to spec so I want to do it right. I don't plan on rebuilding the top end by myself just yet but I am a "mechanically inclined" dood so as I ride more and gain experience I'd like to grow the wrenching skills as well.

And where do you guys dump your old oil after an oil change?

Thanks for your help.

here in California you can take your old oil to most auto parts stores and they have to take it off you hands... i think it a law or somnething. Its easy, just buy a little plastic oil pan with a big lid on it made for this purpose at your local auto parts store. Drain ur oil into the pan, cover with the lid and take it to the poarts store, they drain it and give u back ur pan

Thanks for the info bigbob, I'll try the loco Autozone to see what's up.

*I would recommend a set of T-handle wrenches. Not because they do something that can't be done with your other wrenches, but because they can certainly speed up the maintenance process. More time riding, less time wrenching.

*Fork seal drivers would be high on the list. Most forks services require no more than changing the oil seals, dust seals, bushings, and oil. I keep a few sets of seals and bushings on hand all the time. This is fantastic when I blow and oil seal on Saturday and want to ride on Sunday.

*A good hand vacuum pump is quite useful as well. It makes bleeding the brakes MUCH easier without a helper, and it is a great tool when setting fork oil height after a fork service. Just put a mark on the side of the hose at the proper oil height, stick the hose into the fork to the mark, and suck out oil until you get air. Perfect oil height every time.

*A dremel tool. Very useful around the house as well.

*A rubber mallet.

*Tire irons - spend the extra couple bucks and get the nice ones... you won't regret it. Get at least two, and three is pretty nice some of the time.

*A power washer - really nice having one of these at home.

*A low pressure tire gauge

*A tap and die set

Consumables I like to keep in stock:

Oil

Oil filters

axle grease

air filter cleaner

air filter oil

brake pads

fork oil seals

fork dust seals

fork bushings

fork oil

spare tubes

tires

simple green

A fastener kit (tekbolt makes some nice ones)

thread repair coils

feeler gages if you want to adjust valves.

Investing in a torque wrench would be a good idea. I would get one that measures in inch-pounds and foot-pounds. You don't need to pay the big bucks and get snap-on tools, but there is something to be said for good tools. You can't go wrong with Craftsman, but if you want to save a little and get descent tools I hear the Husky tools at Home Depot are good.

If you don't have an air compressor, I would invest in one. You can get a cheap 110V from Harbor Freight Tools for under $200 and it will do most everything handy. They also make a small solvent tank that is work bench size. Around $100. Good to have.

Oh, I would love to have a small solvent tank.

Wow, thanks a lot. The only things that I have are the Dremel (2), Mallet and the Power Washer.

I am making a list of things to get over the next few months so I'll be set when the time comes. Appreciate it y'all :)

A chain breaker is nice to have. Motion-Pro makes a nice cable luber which is a good idea. Ah, a impact driver (the kind in the blue container that you hit with a hammer) is great for removing screws that are stuck. I don't use mine often but, when I need it, it's a life saver.

Allen wrenches, safety wire pliers (you can use regular pliers or vice grips but the purpose built ones are much easier to use and quicker) and, if you get a compressor (if you do, you'll wonder how you ever lived without it!), a 1/2" drive impact gun is great for removing front sprockets and clutch hubs. 3/8" drive butterfly impacts are great too for general disasembly.

Personally, I wouldn't look at these lists and think that you have to have it all right away. Just get it as you need it.

One last thing, I took a t-handle, cut the socket end off of it and welded a short 3/8" drive extension on it (about 20 years ago, I'm sure you can buy them now). The beauty of that set up is you only have to store one t-handle versus several. You can buy something that hangs/mounts to your tool box to store them though if you go the individual t-handle route.

Best of luck and enjoy the new scoot! :)