Manual Decomp Lever: Keep Or Not?

For those of you who installed an auto decomp cam, did you keep or get rid of the lever, and why?

<FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/dopoll.php"><INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="10736197212002YZ250F">

Keep The Lever Or Not?

<input type="radio" name="option" value="1" />Kept It

<input type="radio" name="option" value="2" />Got Rid Of It

<INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons"></form>

ditched it. then worried about needing it. rode about 600 miles, a good portion on knarly trails which i stalled on a few times. never needed it. stopped worrying about it. as stated above, good riddance.

jim aka the wrooster

'01 wr250f

Its good to have when you run through a stream, which we do alot here, and suck water. We had a 03 yzf that sucked water and couldn't be cranked with the kicker. Had to take out the plug to kick out ther water. With the decomp, it's just a matter of using the lever and kicking out the water to start.

OK, I guess I will be the black sheep here.

I have kept my decomp lever. The reasons why I have keep it have to do with knowing when my valve clearance is running tight. I can keep track of any valves that are tightening up ( if i have not checks clearances for a while ) by how easy I can kick the bike through with out the lever. This is something that is not easily detectable with the 03's or bikes running the 03 cams. My other reason has to do with the dead starts at a hare scramble. When sitting on the line, I am able to find that sweet spot with the decomp lever. Because of this, I can always get my bike to fire on the first kick. Believe it or not, my bike fires up faster then the 2 strokes, this has given me a ton of hole shots.

REASONS TO CONVERT....

If you have problems starting the bike, then I would suggest switching over to make starting easier for you. The only other advantage I can see over having a decomp release, is the fact that you can bump start the bike like a two stroke, especially nice if you stall it and still have enough speed to dump the clutch ans fire it back up while moving.