Battery Gel vs. Sealed vs. Non-Sealed

Had a more than interesting encounter at a LBS yest :D. But that's another story.

It was however concerning batteries. Give your opinions on Gel vs. Sealed. We all know these are better than non-sealed. (no smart-alec comments about blowing a seal) :). Everything I read says for our offroad thumping the gel rules, better for the vibration, higher cranking load, crash saftey, etc. Anyone have hard facts?

Travis

Not really hard facts, but I used to crash cars for a living, no I didn't drive them, I was collecting data for the highway safety industry, and we ran our on-board data collection systems on gel cells. We commonly crashed cars into various objects at 60+ mph. I imagine if they can survive that abuse, which they did with flying colors, they would be more than reliable enough for off-road use :).

I had the red top Optima gel batteries in my Jeep and they worked great. That Jeep was driven at all angles and the Optimas never leaked. They were gel SLI (starting lighting ignition) batteries. The gel batteries are tough, the plates are stronger and can take a pounding.

On my dirt bike I opted for the kick starter - no charging, no leaks, no maintenance, :)

This is what I thought, the gels have only positive points. It seems to make sense to me, the LBS couldn't see it this way. Any negatives?

Travis

Thanks for the replies :)

Bump

Any more comments?

Seems like the only negative may be cost.

Baja Designs sells dry cell batteries with their dual-sport kits.

Not enough juice to run a starter, but enough to run a tail light long enough to be legal.

So do you have a starter on your bike???

This is what I thought, the gels have only positive points. It seems to make sense to me, the LBS couldn't see it this way. Any negatives?

Travis

Thanks for the replies :D

Im sure the gel filled battery has a positive and a negative like any other battery. :) Sorry, I couln't resist.

:Dnice got me on that, didn't even see it coming