hawaiidirtrider

2009 Beta 525 mods?.. other stuff to put on?

Might use thermally conductive epoxy on that heat sink, small tube doesn't cost much.

Some of the ktm lc4 bikes use a cush hub that could adapt to other ktm wheels.

Other money well spent on that rfs motor is replacing the valve rocker bearings BEFORE they fail and drop needles everywhere. Bud has lost 2 in 15k.

Cool.. so is there some special place to get thermally conductive epoxy? That's another thing I haven't heard of..  Thanks about the heads up on the valve rocker bearings also..

The reason I mentioned the JB Marineweld is it's very strong versus the thermal epoxy. JB Weld is fine too. I don't think the slight difference in thermal conductivity is of any consequence in this application. I've done this a few times on our Colorado 2 strokes. Imagine a 6 mile downhill like coming out of Aspen Lodge. I've seen a few guys eat it when both the front and back overheat when they were hotdogging it on their 2 strokes coming down that hill.

• Like 1

Ok one  of the big mods here.. I just bought another one since it broke off . I have filled the mounting hole with black silicone seal. There's no slipping off the male part  that way .It lasted pretty long but the hose actually broke off in a fall. I didn't know the hose rubber got brittle.

dk184279.jpg

• Like 1

Grip donuts :)

You know I've bought those before but have them lying around  uninstalled my thumbs and inside hand don't get affected..  I just use my gloves.. I do use those kevlar underware glove liners though. Never have blisters with those... grip donuts seem to be about as important as the gas cap vent though. .. anything and everything that helps is good.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

Ok one  of the big mods here.. I just bought another one since it broke off . I have filled the mounting hole with black silicone seal. There's no slipping off the male part  that way .It lasted pretty long but the hose actually broke off in a fall. I didn't know the hose rubber got brittle.

dk184279.jpg

A word to the wise.  From what I have heard if these one way tank vent valves work as designed, they sometimes lead to excessive pressure to the carb float bowl when the gas expands as it heats up in the fuel tank.

• Like 1

A word to the wise.  From what I have heard if these one way tank vent valves work as designed, they sometimes lead to excessive pressure to the carb float bowl when the gas expands as it heats up in the fuel tank.

Never heard that one before .. Thanks.. I know just gotta make sure that vent is not plugged though.  So what happens when there is excessive pressure to the carb float bowl?

Never heard that one before .. Thanks.. I know just gotta make sure that vent is not plugged though.  So what happens when there is excessive pressure to the carb float bowl?

DO NOT USE. Will cause issues with the way your bike runs. I put one on not thinking anything about it and the bike would run crappy sometimes, not all the time. I tore the carb apart times 3 or 4 thinking my jetting/floats were the issue. Throw it in the trash.

DO NOT USE. Will cause issues with the way your bike runs. I put one on not thinking anything about it and the bike would run crappy sometimes, not all the time. I tore the carb apart times 3 or 4 thinking my jetting/floats were the issue. Throw it in the trash.

Too late... I got caught doing this too in the past..yea it isn't so great.. just a plain old hose is wonderful.

I've used the small vent cap for years without problem..just gotta make sure that the vent isn't plugged.. I've thrown away the inline brass swivel vent(moose racing?) as that didn't work right from brand new.. I just put it there for convenience for when taking off the gas cap.. It's a little easier.  but I'm thinking just the plain hose is best.

• Like 1

The reason I mentioned the JB Marineweld is it's very strong versus the thermal epoxy. JB Weld is fine too. I don't think the slight difference in thermal conductivity is of any consequence in this application. I've done this a few times on our Colorado 2 strokes. Imagine a 6 mile downhill like coming out of Aspen Lodge. I've seen a few guys eat it when both the front and back overheat when they were hotdogging it on their 2 strokes coming down that hill.

Ok Ud.. I ordered this from ebay.. It fits just about right on my 300rr caliper.. I'm going to put it on my 525 and try it..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181110929519?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Big bucks.. I don't think I can afford this..  $1.40  or something like that .. huge bucks..

$T2eC16V,!)QE9s3HFer)BRUsHV1tGQ~~60_1.JP

• Like 1

I'm also liking the seat concepts tall soft seat that I got for my 300rr. I like the soft high gutz on my 525 but I could see why guys go to the seat concepts too. The seat concepts soft tall one is more firm.. more like I would think the gutz medium tension foam I think would be. So just putting it out there that the seat concepts is great..The seat design is excellent..and different..  the gutz I still love.. and I think it's cheaper too...but doing all over again I might go seat concepts the next time.. It wins out by say a half length lead.

http://www.seatconcepts.com/products?Itemid=75&option=com_rokecwid&view=ecwid&ecwid_product_id=10236481#ecwid:category=0&mode=product&product=10236481

220230517.jpg

Bump..'.. for the first generation Beta enduro guys... I'll bump this with a short clip of Dougie Lampkin riding a first gen 450rr.

..just wondering what else I could do .. My next project I think is the wider 2.5" rear rim with stainless steel spokes..but it's been on the back burner since the 300rr has come..waaay back burner.

I'm also liking the seat concepts tall soft seat that I got for my 300rr. I like the soft high gutz on my 525 but I could see why guys go to the seat concepts too. The seat concepts soft tall one is more firm.. more like I would think the gutz medium tension foam I think would be. So just putting it out there that the seat concepts is great..The seat design is excellent..and different..  the gutz I still love.. and I think it's cheaper too...but doing all over again I might go seat concepts the next time.. It wins out by say a half length lead.

http://www.seatconcepts.com/products?Itemid=75&option=com_rokecwid&view=ecwid&ecwid_product_id=10236481#ecwid:category=0&mode=product&product=10236481

220230517.jpg

I put the SC on mine too. I'd like to have a discussion with Beta's seat designer.  :banghead:

I put the SC on mine too. I'd like to have a discussion with Beta's seat designer.  :banghead:

I've heard that the 14' stock seats were hard and that the 15' 300 seat was softer.. To me it was not soft enough ... but my 13' 300 stock Beta seat was comfortable .... but I wanted a tall soft seat anyway and got the seat concepts which ended up being very good. It was not soft like how the gutz soft foam seats are.. more like a medium of the gutz foam tension.. Still I like it and the form is good. On the gutz it's better to put a hump in back to lock your but from sliding back on hills.. no need with the seat concepts.

That reminds me of this old trick bike... This bike actually went to an old friend of mine as a demo buy..  I was jealous of his 540 top end.. just a little...maybe not jealous but I was thinking I'd want one .

http://www.dirtrider.com/tests/off-road-bikes/141_0904_torture_test_2009_beta_540_rx_prototype/

15762569-300x225.jpg