Sign in to follow this  

Newbee!

I am a proud owner of a 13' CRF 450R. I bought this bike for casual of road riding from a dealership brand new. I am a complete newbie when it comes to dirt bikes and am searching for some guidance with setting my bike up for the riding style I described above. I am a novice rider with a passion to have my bike dialed in optimally for my weight class of 260lbs. So far I have followed some of the maintenance schedule and I am at 33hrs on the bike. I broke it in according to manual, changed fluids and air filter regularly, and it had the valves shimmed by the dealer at 28hrs. I have replaced the chain and front and rear sprockets, with DID components. I purchased these parts from Motosort.com and did not chinse out on cost for these very important parts. I have also changed my plastic, new grips, and hand guards. I am at stand still with what it should and shouldn’t do next. I am reaching out to the riding community for some insight and direction. I would like to replace and maintain every portion of this bike that will give me problems if I don’t. Please keep in mind I don’t have a bike shop or a dealership that it can just go to close by.

Suspension!!! That should be first thing you do. You’re going to need to re-spring for your weight for sure. Find a local suspension guy in your area and they can help you re-valve and re-spring both forks and shock. It will run you about $600-$800, but it's the well worth it.

Suspension!!! That should be first thing you do. You’re going to need to re-spring for your weight for sure. Find a local suspension guy in your area and they can help you re-valve and re-spring both forks and shock. It will run you about $600-$800, but it's the well worth it.

This is the very first mod I would make. When you get your suspension dialed in for your weight, riding discipline, and skill level, you will enjoy riding more.

Unfortunately I am experienced at riding a mx bike off-road (single track) that was not set up properly for non mx style riding. I have taken many soil samples. NOT FUN!

Your bike is set up for MX and the valving is probably way to stiff for what you want to do with it.

My $.02 .

Youre only about 100 pounds heavier than the target rider weight, so, Im also going to suggest boxing up your fork and shock and send it to somebody to rework for you. Springs are an absolute minimum. At 260 a .53 or better spring I think would be necessary for the forks, and probably a 6.0 for the rear. Getting those may be an issue.

Factory connection is in CT, Pro-Action is in PA.

I am 230lbs naked and run a 6.1kg/mm shock spring. I happen to be running Showa B-kit spring forks with .52kg/mm springs, but you likely have the KYB air forks so you don't have springs to replace, but you will need to run higher pressure than the recommended 33psi. I had to run 40psi in the darned things to be happy all the time for aggressive MX. They need to be stiffened up with valving changes if you're a fast mx'r but it looks like you're a casual off-roader so they may be ok as-is with 38psi or so? If you feel the need to revalve, Factory Connection is close-by in NH and can help you for sure!

I try and make it to Crow Hill mx in Templeton MA a time or two a year, if you want to meet up with a bunch of guys and ride an mx track.

Edited by Eddie8v

Wow! Right on. I knew I'd get some positive direction. I am taking this all under advisement and appreciate the insight.

I believe the shocks in the 13' are springs,air pressure, and fluid. I know there's numerous settings to adjust the suspension front and rear, I just don't get it. The guy at the dealership who runs the same bike recommended getting a tougher spring in the rear and set the psi in the front at 32 vs the manuals spec of 35psi. I think I told him I was 245 then. Been a good winter.lol...

Not a chance you can run 32psi in the forks at your weight. I think a 6.1 shock spring with 36-38psi in the forks would make the bike a good casual/woods turning bike for you.

Is it possible to do myself. Is it worth the money and head ache not to? I'm mechanically inclined to a point? Not a mechanic tho.

Look at the top of this forum, there is a "sticky" thread up there that has more than enough info for you to tackle your suspension revalving. Thank Dogger for all that hard work.

Edited by Eddie8v