Removing the coating on 2t pipes.

Hey guys! I got a 2006 yz 125. I've read multiple times that the best expansion chamber for this bike it the stock one. But I hate the way it looks. I found a couple pictures on TT of guys who took the coating off, but no one said how they did it. ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1391755377.595624.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1391755402.426969.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1391755413.912477.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1391755425.695715.jpg.

Also, I was wondering if removing this would rob me of power or anything like that. (I'm sure the Yamaha engineers knew what they where doing when they coated the pipe) and would I have to put hi temp clear coat to keep it from rusting?

What are your guys' thoughts?

Edited by c-gerst

Paint stripper.

It will rust. You will have to completely clean and oil it after ever ride.

It will not affect perfornace though nit may sound more 'tinny'. due to the loss of the deadening effect of a paint layer.

I'd leave it alone.

get it sand blasted then have it polished.  sand blasting the pipe should only be 20 or 30 bucks.  polishing you can do yourself or have done

I've never tried paint stripper myself, but lots of sanding will do the trick. I sanded the paint off mine and have to WD40 and clean before or after every ride. I wanted to try high temp clear coat but I heard it will yellow with heat pretty quickly and not look very good. I'd say leave it be, you'll be surprised how fast the rust sets in 

If u sand blast it remember to get all the beads out of it before hooking it up

Hi-temp clear coat will be fine. The original coating was for nothing more than appearance. :thumbsup:

After you strip it down to bare metal, run a butane torch over the welds to get the "Works" look.

You can sand it, strip it, whatever you want, but you can either oil it often, or clear it. Either way is good, just whatever you can do.

I just did one for my 1996 CR125 Replica.  Used paint stripper/ sanded & light blasting then blued the welds with a torch.  Keep coated with WD-40 & clean every once in awhile with CLR and You're good to go.............

What everyone else has said, it will eventually rust and be a maintenance pain in the ass.  I have had FMF pipes for years and I always end up sanding them and spraying them with felt hi-temp black paint.

MAX!!!

Well IMO there is nothing in the world sexier than a polished 2 stroke pipe.

Nickel coated pipe FTW.

Mark.

Edited by BushPig