Dumb question

Ktm's are one of the few brands I,as a dirtbike rider, don't feel cheated buy. When nearly all the big manufacturers where rubbing there hands together over the fact they convinced us to buy slower bikes, that cost ass loads more to maintain, they sort of didn't buy into it... Or at least had some other options on the market.. Dunno JIMHO

• Like 2

Other than the fact that KTM is Austrian, yeah. ?

Although his comment, no offense, any relevance, Austria was connected to Germany in WW1. Could be influences from there seeing as that's about when cars were becoming popular.

One big conspiracy theory...

Damn Australians...

• 1 year later...

Using "T" to denote "stroke" will never catch on in any meaningful way because it's a poor usage of the meaning of "takt time", it's obscure and it's not intuitive. Poor usage because "takt time" refers to the amount of time a repetitive operation takes to complete while  2-stroke and 4-stroke denotes the NUMBER of sub-cycles needed to complete one full cycle. Obscure (in terms of it's application to internal combustion) because it's only established  use is in the context of business and productivity. Furthermore, "takt time" is a bastardization of a German word (taktzeit). Using "T" to denote stroke/cycle when speaking English is especially counter-intuitive because neither "cycle" nor "stroke" begin with "T". Because German is not a widely spoken language and the usage of "T" for stroke has never been established on a wide basis, and for the other reasons outlined above, we can bet it is unlikely to ever become a widely established and recognized abbreviation. Granted, a German speaking BMW rider may be slightly more likely to recognize such an obscure term but it's usage will still draw blank expressions from the majority of motorcyclists around the world, even most BMW riders.    

Besides "stroke" and "cycle" only have 5 or 6 letters in them - it's not like they are begging for a shortening.

While we are at it, let's decide "cylinder" is too long (and so is it's abbreviation "cyl.") so instead of typing "in-line 4 cyl." we will shorten it to "in-line 4K" because "kylix" is Greek for "drinking cup" and a cylinder resembles a cup shape (and "kylix begins with a "K"). Also, "in-line" is inconvenient to type so we can shorten it to "E" because "euthus" is Greek for "in a line" and it begins with "E". Thus instead of typing "An in-line 4 cyl. is overkill for urban riding", one could simply type" An E K is overkill for urban riding" and every motorcyclist would know what you meant. Eventually, we could create obscure abbreviations for other words so the same lengthy phrase could be reduced to "An E K is B for dG" and every motorcyclist would know exactly what you meant.

Actually, it's all Greek to me, I only know English (and not very much of that).

I took a gamble on them speaking German just for a shot at the joke:)

They do. And I only know this because I Googled it before I flamed you. LOL!

Edit: and I now realize that I'm replying to an ancient post. Who's the idiot now?!

Edited by zderekv