Sign in to follow this  

Rekluse or Revloc?

Both of the $400 options available now.

Anyone experienced both?
Any difference or reason to prefer one?

Thanks!

I can only sleek for the Recluse I didn't know there was other options. I put a Recluse in at the end of last season but only have a few rides on it. Things I like are:

Better grip on the bars because I'm not grabbing the clutch on single track with a numb left hand

Leave it in gear at a stop light so If someone's about to blast you from behind you can escape (yes I'm always scanning the rear view at a light)

No more issues with stalling on a hill or going to slow clutch will do its job and modulate instead of the abrupt stall.

Even in lowest gear when traveling nasty single track both my and my friends DRZ just randomly stall with a loud clank this causes you to have to always be on the clutch and wears my hand down quick with carpel tunnel this no longer happens with the recluse and my hand is no longer sort as hell.

• Like 1

I can only sleek for the Recluse I didn't know there was other options. I put a Recluse in at the end of last season but only have a few rides on it. Things I like are:

Better grip on the bars because I'm not grabbing the clutch on single track with a numb left hand

Leave it in gear at a stop light so If someone's about to blast you from behind you can escape (yes I'm always scanning the rear view at a light)

No more issues with stalling on a hill or going to slow clutch will do its job and modulate instead of the abrupt stall.

Even in lowest gear when traveling nasty single track both my and my friends DRZ just randomly stall with a loud clank this causes you to have to always be on the clutch and wears my hand down quick with carpel tunnel this no longer happens with the recluse and my hand is no longer sort as hell.

Thanks,  CT is WHY I'm interested!

Both of the $400 options available now.

Anyone experienced both?

Any difference or reason to prefer one?

Thanks!

I know this thread is a year old, but I want to set the record straight on autoclutches.

Revloc is no longer in the auto-clutch business, although there appears to be an Aussie outfit that is selling auto clutch stuff that is still branding it "RevLoc." Not sure if this is leftover stuff from RevLoc, or just units being sold under a license from the owners of the patent.

There is a lengthy description about how Revloc got into the business and how and why they got out on the ADVRider. That is where I got most of my info on Revloc a while back, so my comments are no more accurate than those found on ADVRider.

Here are some of the highlights, as I recall them. Again, this is my recollection of the facts -- and it may be missing a few details.  Here is the story:

An engineer working for a hydraulic pump business in Denver, Colorado invented the auto clutch as we know it now. He prototyped it on a big bore Kawasaki MX'r and then patented the design under the name of the business he worked for. 

Since the company was not in the motorcycle accessory business, the engineer had to convince his bosses to allow him to market the clutches - although they were never very enthusiastic about it. 

At some point, Rekluse also began producing auto clutches that were very similar in design to the original Revloc units. Revloc sued them for patent infringement and in a settlement agreement, they agreed to essentially let Rekluse buy them out - selling Rekluse the patents and the rights to the name. 

The new owners (Rekluse) then had Slavens Racing (also a CO firm and a highly-respected offroad motorcycle parts and accessories outlet), take over the remaining RevLoc stock and support as well as the Rekluse-branded stuff.

The original inventors/patent holders of the autoclutch agreed to a non-compete clause -- constraining them from getting back into the autoclutch business. I think that expires next year (2016). 

This is the story I've read on a couple of sites -- so I believe it is true. In any case, Revloc is no longer in the business.

• Like 1

I know this thread is a year old, but I want to set the record straight on autoclutches.

Revloc is no longer in the auto-clutch business, although there appears to be an Aussie outfit that is selling auto clutch stuff that is still branding it "RevLoc." Not sure if this is leftover stuff from RevLoc, or just units being sold under a license from the owners of the patent.

There is a lengthy description about how Revloc got into the business and how and why they got out on the ADVRider. That is where I got most of my info on Revloc a while back, so my comments are no more accurate than those found on ADVRider.

Here are some of the highlights, as I recall them. Again, this is my recollection of the facts -- and it may be missing a few details.  Here is the story:

An engineer working for a hydraulic pump business in Denver, Colorado invented the auto clutch as we know it now. He prototyped it on a big bore Kawasaki MX'r and then patented the design under the name of the business he worked for. 

Since the company was not in the motorcycle accessory business, the engineer had to convince his bosses to allow him to market the clutches - although they were never very enthusiastic about it. 

At some point, Rekluse also began producing auto clutches that were very similar in design to the original Revloc units. Revloc sued them for patent infringement and in a settlement agreement, they agreed to essentially let Rekluse buy them out - selling Rekluse the patents and the rights to the name. 

The new owners (Rekluse) then had Slavens Racing (also a CO firm and a highly-respected offroad motorcycle parts and accessories outlet), take over the remaining RevLoc stock and support as well as the Rekluse-branded stuff.

The original inventors/patent holders of the autoclutch agreed to a non-compete clause -- constraining them from getting back into the autoclutch business. I think that expires next year (2016). 

This is the story I've read on a couple of sites -- so I believe it is true. In any case, Revloc is no longer in the business.

Interesting. Thanks.  :)

I ending up buying a Rekluse but never got around to putting it on!  

Need to get that done!

Interesting. Thanks. :)

I ending up buying a Rekluse but never got around to putting it on!

Need to get that done!

Or sell it to me cheap;) I wanted one from the first time I saw them.